Menu

Anyone have a soda stream

bettyandbob

I am curious about them as well. I drink a lot of sparkling water and I have been considering getting one for that.

This is what we use ours for.  DH switched from beer to sparkling water, and it was becoming a line item in our budget.  Last Christmas I got him a soda stream and we love it.  We don't use it for cola/flavored drinks though so I can't comment on that.

This is what we use ours for.  DH switched from beer to sparkling water, and it was becoming a line item in our budget.  Last Christmas I got him a soda stream and we love it.  We don't use it for cola/flavored drinks though so I can't comment on that.

Yes, I buy seltzer by the case. I don't plan on getting syrups. I just like my water with bubbles. 

Sorry, forgot to add, we got this one and it has been working just fine for almost a year now.  I exchange C02 cartridges at Target or Bed Bath & Beyond.

That's the one on my amazon wish list.

Does it come out cheaper than buying sparkling water? I was wondering about the price difference, does it save enough money where it is worth it?

That's the one on my amazon wish list.

Does it come out cheaper than buying sparkling water? I was wondering about the price difference, does it save enough money where it is worth it?

I think it is $15/ 60 L of soda or somewhere thereabouts?  That's after your initial investment of the machine, of course.  It was cheaper than anything I could find in the store, even Costco and such.  And it was nice not to having to cart home a case of water every week.

We have a Soda Stream that is over 12 years old and go through spurts of using it. My husband is the seltzer drinker and he usually likes it plain. We don't do the syrups as we do diet drinks and the off-brands don't taste "right." We haven't tried any in quite a while, so things may have improved. We have occasionally added the seltzer to juice or something like Crystal Light.

Ours is plastic--metal would be nice, but hasn't been a problem. Not sure but looks like the KitchenAid may not require screwing in the bottles, which admittedly can be a little awkward. Our fizziness is determined by the number of pumps rather than a gauge, again, not a problem, and uses no batteries.  

• Like 1

Yes, I buy seltzer by the case. I don't plan on getting syrups. I just like my water with bubbles. 

I don't own a soda stream but we have a friend who also went through cases of seltzer. The environmental impact of all those plastic liter bottles was getting to be a bit much. They got a soda stream and adore it. And it saves them money.

• Like 2

Do any of you use juice or juice/water--does that work? I've been switching over from my beloved Dr. Pepper to La Croix with a splash of 100% juice in it because I just can't do plain carbonated water. lol

We do not carbonate juice, but mix juice with carbonated water. Very good with cranberry or apple.

• Like 1

Do any of you use juice or juice/water--does that work?  I've been switching over from my beloved Dr. Pepper to La Croix with a splash of 100% juice in it because I just can't do plain carbonated water.  lol

I can't do plain water either, so I bought some of the berry flavored syrup, and I just put in a tad of that.  You could splash in some juice, too, I would imagine, it just wouldn't be as concentrated.

You only fizz up the water, though, any flavoring goes in after the fact.

• Like 1

Do any of you use juice or juice/water--does that work?  I've been switching over from my beloved Dr. Pepper to La Croix with a splash of 100% juice in it because I just can't do plain carbonated water.  lol

You can't put juice in the bottle and then carbonate it, but you can add the carbonated water to juice or juice concentrate in your glass. DS likes to put a couple spoonfuls of frozen lemonade or limeade concentrate in a glass and then top up with fizzy water, and he even sometimes makes a fizzy gatorade by adding the carbonated water to gatorade powder. I like it with a splash of cranberry or pomegranate juice.

We use ours almost every day and I think it's saved a ton of money — not to mention the hassle of taking cases of empty plastic bottles back to the store for the deposit refund every week. You can get an XL cartridge for it that lasts a long time.

I love mine and use it daily for sparkling water. I have the Source and my dd has the Play; both are great. I don't use syrups, but once in a while I use a squirt of Dasani flavor drops. I drink a LOT more plain sparkling water than plain water. The only concern I have is that carbonating it makes it acidic, and I worry about my teeth. Not sure how much of an issue it really is, though.

I see them occasionally at thrift stores. Check Craigslist.

I used it a ton when I first got it. You can't get the CO2 cartridges online. It can be kind of a hassle to get down to where they can be exchanged for me, so I put the soda stream away for now until I can get to that store more frequently and am back to buying seltzer. :(

Not even on Amazon? That would be a hassle

I used it a ton when I first got it. You can't get the CO2 cartridges online. It can be kind of a hassle to get down to where they can be exchanged for me, so I put the soda stream away for now until I can get to that store more frequently and am back to buying seltzer. :(

Our Walmart sells/exchanges the SodaStream CO2 bottles. If you buy it, it costs $30, and it's kept in the section where they stock the SodaStream appliances (is it an appliance or a gadget?) and flavors. If you exchange it's half the cost, and you do that at the service desk. Of course you do have to buy one to begin with, but after that you can just exchange them. We bought two so we always have one on hand if we forget to bring the empty in for exchange.

Another advantage of the CO2 tank -- you can carbonate anything. Juice, milk, small fruits . . .

What kind of tank do you have? Pub bottle?Do you use an adapter to hook it up to the machine, or do you directly carbonize from the tank via hose? 

We are thinking of a better option since the larger bottles are no longer available locally.

How do you source your gas? How do you ensure it is food grade?

Thanks!

We have one.  I rarely use it.  We don't like the syrups, they don't taste like the real brands, and I find I don't care for carbonated nearly as much as I used to.  I used to have carbonated water with some lime squeezed in it.  I don't really like that anymore.

Is it possible to make something like sparkling apple cider (martenlli's)?

I know you can't carbonat anything but water, but does that mix with frozen juice concentrates to make a simmilar flavor/taste.

We do this all the time--- just mix frozen apple juice concentrate with 3 cans of sparkling water from the sodastream. We love it!

It is not quite as good as Martinelli's, but pretty close. (I think that the frozen concentrate dulls the "sparkling" effect just a little bit.)

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got one! Found it at a thrift store!

I was playing around with it the first day and mixed some of my fancy fruit vinegars with the sparkling water and wow. Quite yummy. Apparently that type of drink is called a shrub.

Next goal is to make some syrups -- still not a fan of plain soda water, yuck! I just done see how lethal tastes good to anyone, but I think that about a lot of things. :)