Menu

Calling all Thanksgiving pie bakers

Lakeside

I'm looking for some advice.  I know some of you make pies ahead of time.  I feel kind of silly asking, but how do you do this?  I always feel like I'm trying to squeeze the baking in at just the right time and it is stressful trying to work them in around all the other things that need to go into the oven.  Allergies are changing up the menu a bit this year, so no pecan pie and I'll have to find a new pumpkin pie recipe. I think I'm going to make an apple pie and an egg-free pumpkin pie.  I'd like to make them on Wednesday if possible.  Any thoughts? 

I always bake my pies the day before and they are fine. I make vegan chocolate pie and vegan apple crisp. I keep the chocolate one in the fridge. I warm the apple crisp before I serve it.

My grandma always made her pies the day before thanksgiving. She made pumpkin and pecan. Everyone thought they were fine (I hate both kinds of pie so I didn't eat them therefore I can't attest to their taste and freshness).

• Like 2

I like to make my pies the day of, but I make the filling and crusts ahead of time and keep them in the fridge. All I have to do on Thanksgiving is put them together and bake them. 

I made a yummy egg free pumpkin pie last year - I'll post the recipe here when I find if you'd like?

• Like 3

I'm looking for some advice.  I know some of you make pies ahead of time.  I feel kind of silly asking, but how do you do this?  I always feel like I'm trying to squeeze the baking in at just the right time and it is stressful trying to work them in around all the other things that need to go into the oven.  Allergies are changing up the menu a bit this year, so no pecan pie and I'll have to find a new pumpkin pie recipe. I think I'm going to make an apple pie and an egg-free pumpkin pie.  I'd like to make them on Wednesday if possible.  Any thoughts? 

My husband is the pie baker and always does them the night before so they are chilled. He makes the whipped cream the night before as well.

• Like 1

I make my crusts ahead of time and freeze them. I get up at an ungodly hour on Thanksgiving (5:00am) and bake my pies. I like them fresh, but I also like to get up before everyone else and have my coffee and quiet time before the insanity begins. I make sure everything is ready for them so basically when I get up I throw them together and put them in the oven and then I can puy my turkey in around 8:30am. We eat at 1:00pm.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1

I like to make my pies the day of, but I make the filling and crusts ahead of time and keep them in the fridge. All I have to do on Thanksgiving is put them together and bake them. 

I made a yummy egg free pumpkin pie last year - I'll post the recipe here when I find if you'd like?

Sure, that would be great! I don't mind trying recipes blind so to speak for regular things, but it is nice to have recommendations for special days.  

Thanks, everyone!

So, I see that some people refrigerate them.  Do any of you who bake them ahead of time leave them out?  There will not any room in the refrigerator, and I kind of prefer pie not refrigerated.  I think that's part of why I always try to make them as late as I possibly can.  

Warming them up while we eat might be a good idea at least for the apple pie.

I make my crusts ahead of time and freeze them. I get up at an ungodly hour on Thanksgiving (5:00am) and bake my pies. I like them fresh, but I also like to get up before everyone else and have my coffee and quiet time before the insanity begins. I make sure everything is ready for them so basically when I get up I throw them together and put them in the oven and then I can puy my turkey in around 8:30am. We eat at 1:00pm.

Yeah, I like the idea of coffee and quiet, but any time I try to get up before everyone else, a particularly noisy someone else wakes up too! 

This is what I remember my grandmothers doing.  The first time I cooked Thanksgiving dinner I realized just how early they must have gotten up to feed everyone by early afternoon.  :ohmy:

We bake the pies the day before. I generally leave them out overnight to cool. This has had the unintended consequence of a new tradition - pie for Thanksgiving breakfast. It's a rare day when there is any pie left by dinner time.

Which is my excuse to spend the evening eating gingerbread cookies dipped in the whipped cream that was supposed to go on the pies that got ate.

• Like 3

I bake a mean pecan pie and it absolutely needs a day or two to fully cool and set or its delicious but gelatinous mush when we eat it. Everything but a high dairy custard pie (like chocolate silk) I'd be perfectly comfortable leaving out at room temperature. I usually just pop a piece of wax paper or paper towel over it to prevent dust and such from settling on the crust, plastic wrap or tinfoil tends to trap too much moisture. A plain old dish towel can work but it does have the propensity to stick to crumbles and fruit toppings more.

Edited because iPhone spelling.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I bake the meringue crusts the day before hand, and make cooked lemon or orange fillings later in the day after the crusts are thoroughly cooled.  I put them in the pie and pop it back into the fridge that night and serve the next day.  I whip the cream for the topping in the morning and put it in the fridge in canning jars, and then spoon it onto the pie right before serving.

For French silk pie I do the same thing, being very careful to completely cool the crust before putting the filling in, since it has raw egg in it.  

For apple crisp, I cut up the apples the day before and toss them with lemon juice so they won't brown. I cover them tightly with plastic wrap in the fridge.  And I make the topping up to 3 days before hand and put it in the fridge in canning jars.  When dinner is being served I butter the baking pan, dump in the apples, sprinkle on the topping, and pop into the oven for half an hour or so.  Because this is SO much better fresh and warm.  (I probably shouldn't admit this, but recently I got to thinking that those spices are probably somewhat preservative, and when I got home from a potluck with extra apple crisp, I left it out in a cool room and ate a little bit every day or two to see how it changed.  In 2 weeks it never went bad.  The apples got a little drier, which gave them a leathery consistency.  The topping got better and better.  I would be afraid to serve it like this to other people, in case it spoiled, since I'm far more willing to risk this for myself than for others, but for domestic use it was pretty good, and very interesting.)

• Like 1

I won't leave pumpkin out overnight, but I live in florida, so temperatures can be quite warm, especially in the kitchen as I cook. We keep the AC set at 77 degrees, and yes, usually it is on at Thanksgiving time. Kitchen might be a few degrees warmer, and given that pumpkin pie has egg and dairy in it...no, it has to be refrigerated. If you lived somewhere where the house was cooler, that would be different. I would probably be okay making it the night before then, but not much longer than that. 

• Like 1

a custard pie, like pumpkin should be refrigerated overnight, but is fine if you take it out on Thursday morning and keep it in a cool place. So, not next to the oven, and maybe not in the kitchen. My kitchen is small and the whole thing gets hot.

I made my pie crusts last month and will put them in the fridge to thaw tomorrow. Then I bake the pies on Wednesday. Apple and cranberry pies on the counter, pumpkin and maple pies in the fridge for the overnight. On Thursday, I put them all in a cool place to keep them out of the way. For me, that is in the basement on top of my large chest freezer. It is cool and I don't have to worry about anything falling on them.  Not that anything like that has ever happened. Nope.