Menu

Thanksgiving Day crafts or other ways to entertain little kids

poppy

I'm hosting. I'll have a handful of kids but want them to have fun, have stuff that is just their own.

I always thought Thanksgiving was really tedious when I was a kid, except on days we could run around outside. The forecast here is for rain, unfortunately.

So far I've come up with

Come cords and beads to make necklaces. I'll use fall-y colors.

Feather hunt, with those big colored flowers from the craft store

More ideas please?  Kids are 4-8.

• Like 1

Cover the kids' table with butcher paper and throw a bunch of crayons on it.

If you can make them, or can find them cheap, felt game boards are great.  Stick with easy ones like chutes and ladders, tic tac toe, checkers..things they all know how to play without having the rules there.

• Like 1

No, I don't think sending kids to play outside in rain gear would work.  Parents want to be with the kids.... if we could all sit around outside with a fire while kids swung and climb, that'd be perfect.  "You all go outside while we're warm in here" would not happen.

Gourd crafts!? :D

I just want to give them pumpkins and butterknives and let them go to town making jack-o-lanterns. But, noooooo, my little guy wants his holidays separate, just like none of his food is allowed to touch.

• Like 1

The classic Thanksgiving kids craft in my family is to make apple turkeys: start with a bright red apple, stick toothpicks along the backside and one in the front, fill the back toothpicks with an assortment of mini-marshmallows and various gumdrops, and then put one big marshmallow or gumdrop on the front toothpick for the head.

If the kids are little and toothpicks would be a bad idea, have them trace their hand, color in the "feathers" and attach it to the side of the apple with a little frosting.

• Like 1

Oh! The Wilton Cookie Press is on sale for $9.99 on Amazon, and it is SUPER kid friendly. If you have any olders at all, they can do it themselves. I used it last year with a group of 3-5 year olds. If I held the barrel still on the cookie sheet they could press the lever themselves to make the cookies. Then when baked I drizzled melted white chocolate over them and let the kids go to town sprinkling them with various sprinkles. (we did this on pans with edges to contain the mess. 

Was great fun, and really easy. 

• Like 3