Menu

Can someone please explain how

Not supporting or choosing to vote for Obama because I just do not agree with many things regarding the democratic party to becoming Racist. Can I not be independent, republican or just not completely agree with democrats without being called racist? is it going to get worst as we get close to the election?

I heard this morning that a young girl in Caroline was wearing her McCain/Paulin t-shirt and is called a racist!?

This just really saddens me that we are at this point instead of just making our own personal decision based on what we personally believe to be best for our country's future and that of our our children.

Not supporting or choosing to vote for Obama because I just do not agree with many things regarding the democratic party to becoming Racist. Can I not be independent, republican or just not completely agree with democrats without being called racist? is it going to get worst as we get close to the election?

I heard this morning that a young girl in Caroline was wearing her McCain/Paulin t-shirt and is called a racist!?

This just really saddens me that we are at this point instead of just making our own personal decision based on what we personally believe to be best for our country's future and that of our our children.

Eh, there are crazy people everywhere. Just like I'm somehow anti-POW because I don't vote for Sen. McCain? Oh, please.

Honestly it sounds like you are overgeneralizing. You are reporting one incident that did not happen to you and you are saying that people are calling you a racist because you do not support Obama. Sure, it happens but it's not the norm by any means.

And sadly, there are in fact some people who do not support Obama simply because he is black. Again not the norm, but it is still a fact.

DH was just complaining about this. He says that Obama supporters say that if he is not elected it will be due to Democrats who are racist.

Between 95-97% of black people are voting for Obama. How is that not racist?

I am an Obama supporter. I do not say this. That's nuts. Does he mean *some* Obama supporters? Some people will say anything.

Perhaps black people have various and complex reasons for voting for Senator Obama. And as a block, the majority of AA people have traditionally voted Democratic. There are myriad reasons for this. I would also modify your statement (if I could verify its veracity) to say that this percentage of black *voters* will vote for Sen. Obama. (Though again, I don't have any sources to confirm this.)

I'm not voting against Sen. McCain because I'm sexist either. Nor a race traitor.

I would say it's not all that black and white, but that would just be wrong. :D

Eh, there are crazy people everywhere. Just like I'm somehow anti-POW because I don't vote for Sen. McCain? Oh, please.

Yeah, or I deserve a special place in he** because I don't support Palin.

My own (conservative) family is trying to needle me with "anti-feminist" remarks since I dared to criticize Palin. They don't quite get the irony.

(I support her right to run; I don't agree with her politics.)

Anyway... not supporting Obama isn't racist unless the reason is race. Just like supporting Palin just because she is a woman would be sexist. I think there are plenty of nasty remarks going around from both sides. Sigh.

Honestly it sounds like you are overgeneralizing. You are reporting one incident that did not happen to you and you are saying that people are calling you a racist because you do not support Obama. Sure, it happens but it's not the norm by any means.

And sadly, there are in fact some people who do not support Obama simply because he is black. Again not the norm, but it is still a fact.

yes, it probably is.

I am an Obama supporter. I do not say this. That's nuts. Does he mean *some* Obama supporters? Some people will say anything.

Perhaps black people have various and complex reasons for voting for Senator Obama. And as a block, the majority of AA people have traditionally voted Democratic. There are myriad reasons for this. I would also modify your statement (if I could verify its veracity) to say that this percentage of black *voters* will vote for Sen. Obama. (Though again, I don't have any sources to confirm this.)

I'm not voting against Sen. McCain because I'm sexist either. Nor a race traitor.

I would say it's not all that black and white, but that would just be wrong. :D

I was strongly leaning toward voting for Clinton because she was a woman. For some people, the thing they feel most strongly about is seeing certain groups represented in high levels of government. That's the issue that drives them. So, I don't see a vote for someone b/c they are a particular race as racist unless that person is absurdly unqualified and IMO, Obama does not fall into this category.

Now, I don't know if I could have ultimately gone through with it. I imagine that over the course of the campaign I would have resumed being more concerned with matters other than gender parity but for a moment I did understand how a person could vote for a person b/c of an immutable characteristic and do so in good conscience.

My guess is that just as many support Obama just because he is black, so it all evens out. My DH was reporting what he heard on the radio. And excuse me for not choosing the exact wording that would prove correct. I do that sometimes. Don't we all?

ETA: He says it was on the cover of USA today. Basically it said that racist Democrats will cost Obama the race.

I have noticed that the majority of members on these boards are Christian. The majority also voted in a poll about life and agreed that it begins at conception. But, if you simply look at the topics posted and the responses it would seem that the majority are not Christian, and that the majority support abortion as a right. (Not connecting the two; don't attack me.) Some people are more vocal than others. Today's society is set up to be supportive of the minority in the interest of "tolerance". So my theory is this: Those that support Obama are probably really into being vocal about it, but those who support other candidates may be quietly doing so.

I don't support anyone, but I have noticed very strange things going on in support of Obama. It is almost eerie. (Is that how one spells eerie?:))

Edited by Lovedtodeath

But that undercurrent is certainly there, isn't it? In the primaries, I was, personally, told that I was anti-feminist and anti-woman if I didn't support Hillary. That's pretty much the same thing.

There are people who think that the only reason someone wouldn't vote for Obama is because of his race. And there are people not voting for him because of his race. But there are people not voting for him for many other reasons. And there are people who supported Hillary because she's a woman. And there are people who support Sarah Palin because she's a woman. And people who don't support her because she's a conservative woman.

It goes on and on and on. We all have our prejudices and biases. We all, to some degree, vote on emotion. To call someone racist because they support McCain is ridiculous - it's both making an assumption that may well be unwarranted, and it's saying that Obama's race *should* be the deciding factor in voting for him. Just like I resented being told I was unsupportive of women by not supporting Hillary - that her gender should matter more to me than her policies.

Being human, identity politics affect us emotionally. But we best serve our country, and the candidates, by voting for the person we think would do the best job and who best fits our ideals for this country. Listen to our hearts, vote with our heads, and hope for the ideal that brings the two together.

I know African Americans that are voting for McCain. They are Conservative Christian and have been told they are turning on their brother and they think they are white.

I know Caucasian voting for Obama. They are mainly very pro union families.

I know older democratic Caucasian that want vote for Obama because he is black

I meet a Caucasian in his 40's who never voted but registered this year because he doesn't want a black president.

I have meet several African American families that will vote for the first time because Obama is African American.

there is racism from both

DH was just complaining about this. He says that Obama supporters say that if he is not elected it will be due to Democrats who are racist.

Between 95-97% of black people are voting for Obama. How is that not racist?

However, I also voted for Kerry (a white man) in 2004 along with about 90% of black voters. I think you would have a point if 95-97% of black people switched parties to vote for a black man, but since blacks have voted for white Democrats for many years now, your point that blacks are somehow racist because they're voting for Obama sort of falls flat.

Anecdotal stories are simply that.

Just yesterday I heard a story about a little girl going to school and telling her friends that she wouldn't vote for Obama because he is black and because of that story I have not started to assume that all McCain supporters are racist.

It is just a story; tragic one nonetheless, but still a story.

emerald

Hi! In case you haven't met me I'm a liberal, through and through, I'm for Obama, liked McCain a long time ago, don't like what he has become, and I say this from the bottom of my heart--

Anyone who tries to make voting for Obama a racial issue is an idiot. There are a lot of people who have admitted they will not vote for him purely because of race, which I think is sad, but, not wholely unexpected. But for anyone to assume it is because of race is ridiculous. For anyone to say everyone who doesn't vote for him is a racist proves them to be idiots. And for anyone to dare attack a child for wearing a McCain/Palin shirt? Disgusting! Actually, for anyone to attack anyone for wearing anything political, but especially a child--disgusting!

I may not agree with your position, and, here, I may try to provide info that I feel proves your's wrong, because I feel a lot of info given is inflammatory and completely wrong, but I fully support your right to vote for whomever you choose, and support whomever you wish, as should every American. That is what a democracy is all about :).

I agree with you. I made a decision about my vote based on whom I believed best fit to lead our country. Their physical appearance was never a consideration. If I were to vote for a man simply because of his skin color, that would be racist. ;)

Exactly. (But just FYI, as much as I support your right to post this and most certainly agree with it, it will almost guarantee that the thread will "turn" and be deleted. Like I said, just FYI.)

Ah! There is nothing more liberating than a thread bound for the internet abyss...

Karaoke anyone?? :lol:

That's sad!!

As everyone knows, I'm not voting for McCain / Palin, but I would NEVER presume that someone is voting for McCain because they're racist! I do assume that they're Republican, Pro-life, Pro-NRA, or one of the other platforms that many who are voting for McCain / Palin support, but I don't assume that they're voting for McCain because they're racist.

That's sad!!

As everyone knows, I'm not voting for McCain / Palin, but I would NEVER presume that someone is voting for McCain because they're racist! I do assume that they're Republican, Pro-life, Pro-NRA, or one of the other platforms that many who are voting for McCain / Palin support, but I don't assume that they're voting for McCain because they're racist.

Nor would I assume that you would make that assumption ;)

Not supporting or choosing to vote for Obama because I just do not agree with many things regarding the democratic party to becoming Racist. Can I not be independent, republican or just not completely agree with democrats without being called racist?

what we personally believe to be best for our country's future and that of our our children.

That's sad.

I know a number of people who would be stereotyped as being Obama supporters but they're not, even if they're registered Democrats. And several are definitely conservative, others just don't agree with him or his policies -- or lack thereof (as in, they really can't tell what he's standing for, since it's hard to pin down).

That's sad.

I know a number of people who would be stereotyped as being Obama supporters but they're not, even if they're registered Democrats. And several are definitely conservative, others just don't agree with him or his policies -- or lack thereof (as in, they really can't tell what he's standing for, since it's hard to pin down).

Not hard to pin down at all. Would you like a link?

http://www.ontheissues.org/senate/Barack_Obama.htm

:iagree:

I support Obama, but my husband supports McCain. I don't call him, nor anyone else who supports McCain a racist. Unless, of course, they actually are racists making racist remarks. Then I would, but that's entirely different. And I probably wouldn't call them a racist to their face, because those kind of people scare me.

. . . racial justice so strongly that to oppose those policies is, to them, to perpetuate racism. So, for them, yes, being Republican is the same as being racist. The thinking goes something like this: Affirmative Action (or pick your pet policy) is the only way to right racial wrongs; to oppose AA is to oppose righting racial wrongs; to oppose righting racial wrongs is to support those wrongs. The Democratic Party supports AA; therefore, to oppose the Democratic party is to support racial wrongs.

Yes, I've been accused of being racist for not supporting AA, and my accusers were unwilling to listen to my reasons for not supporting AA (which have a lot to do with its inefficacy at righting racial wrongs). They were people to whom I owed some respect, however, so I did not press the point, and gave a non-committal reply.

But that seems a reasonable example of why people might make that connection--to vote against Obama is to vote against racial justice, because either he or the Democratic Party are the only ones that support racial justice.

There are also people who were there when people chose to be Republicans precisely because it allowed them to continue their racist policies. (I just got back from the memorial and museum for the Little Rock Nine, where I was vividly reminded of this.) Those people have a hard time dissociating Republicanism from racism.

I have less sympathy with the former than the latter. The Republican party does have a historical association with racism that it hasn't worked hard enough to shake, especially in certain areas of the country.

But the former example is simply closed-mindedness. And it deserves about as much attention as any other form of closed-mindedness. *shrug*