Menu

Naming our homeschools

I just wanted to share something my college son mentioned to me in passing this week.

Prior to his school's job fair last month, he took his resume to the school's career services to ask for their opinion.  He was told to not mention the fact that he was homeschooled for high school and instead list the name of the high school on his resume.

Thankfully, I named our homeschool a few years ago.  This name is listed on both his transcript and diploma.  It is not obvious from the school name that he is homeschooled.  Now if someone looked at the diploma or transcript, it would be obvious that he was homeschooled, but no one has ever asked to see a hard copy of either. 

• Like 1

Our HS also was named as if it were a real school...  without even thinking toward the future. We had a friend early on that named her something like "Happy Hearts School" or something like that. But something more 'professional' does make good sense. I wish now I'd named ours "...Preparatory School/Academy" just for more whiz-bang, but we'll stick with "[place name] Academy"

:)

Whiz-bang.  I love that phrase!  

My son is in 9th grade now and I fully plan on giving our school a very schooly-sounding name for any paperwork I do from here on out.  I don't want my kids to have to go through a bunch of explanations in the future if they bump into anti-homeschooling people in the future at college or on jobs.

Could you guys give some school sounding names for those of us who don't live in America but will be applying to American Universities.  Schools here are called 'Colleges' so that might really confuse the admissions people.

Ruth in NZ

I'm just making these up Ruth but they are similar in tone to what friends use. Ours is Quark Academy and I usually explain it's a college-prep homeschool in my counselor documents.

Hillview Academy

Muir Valley College Prep

Deer Haven School

etc.

• Like 1

Could you guys give some school sounding names for those of us who don't live in America but will be applying to American Universities.  Schools here are called 'Colleges' so that might really confuse the admissions people.

Ruth in NZ

Just stay away from College.

High schools in America usually end with High School or Academy.

I went to Lansdowne High School.  The school a little farther away was Catonsville High School.  Both were named for the towns they were in.  In the town I live in now, the school is called TownName High School.  

The school up the road in Gettysburg is called Gettysburg Area High School.   The middle school is called Lincoln Middle School.  There are lots of high schools named after famous presidents.  Lots of Lincoln High Schools.  

Town name or famous person or street names will be enough.  Just end with High School or Academy and no one will be confused.  "College" will definitely confuse Americans.

• When I was looking up my old high school, the page listed all the schools in Baltimore County.  They are below.  Looks like almost all of them are a PlaceName High School with a few "Technology's" thrown in.

• Carver Center for Arts and Technology

Catonsville High School

Chesapeake High School

Dundalk High School

Dulaney High School

Eastern Technical High School

Franklin High School

Hereford High School

Kenwood High School

Lansdowne High School

Loch Raven High School

Milford Mill Academy

New Town High School

Overlea High School

Owings Mills High School

Parkville High School

Patapsco High School

Perry Hall High School

Pikesville High School

Randallstown High School

Sollers Point Technical High School

Sparrows Point High School

Towson High School

Western School of Technology

Woodlawn High School

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Thank you for the heads up! I am asking to learn more and not to challenge your son's experience. Is it idealistic to hope that a company would look beyond the applicant's high school and instead focus on what he/ she has done in college? Reason being, knowing my son, he would really dislike having not to mention that he was homeschooled. It's the kind of thing he would have trouble not saying if asked.

I didn't have a discussion with my son about this other than him mentioning that he revised his resume and me saying that it is too bad that there are still idiots out there in the work force who don't understand homeschooling.  My son and I both agree 100% with the advice he was given, though.

My guess on why he was advised to remove the homeschooling info is that my son should not advertise the fact that he homeschooled since his resume could come across the desk of someone who does not approve of homeschooling and who would automatically throw my son's resume in the trash bin.

My son has had a number of interviews this fall and he has never been asked about high school - the interviews focus on his college achievements.  My son would always be truthful if he were asked about his high school experience, but he is not going to advertise the fact that he was homeschooled.

• Like 2

Thank you for the heads up! I am asking to learn more and not to challenge your son's experience. Is it idealistic to hope that a company would look beyond the applicant's high school and instead focus on what he/ she has done in college? Reason being, knowing my son, he would really dislike having not to mention that he was homeschooled. It's the kind of thing he would have trouble not saying if asked.

My kids feel the same way.  They don't hide the fact that they were homeschooled.  If someone didn't want to hire them or interview them bc they were homeschooled, so be it.  FWIW, it has never been an issue for my kids.  No one has ever had a problem with them being homeschooled and my oldest ds has worked for 2 of the top chemical companies in the country.  

(Another way of looking at the issue is that the person reviewing the resume was showing their own bias.)  

• Like 3

My kids feel the same way.  They don't hide the fact that they were homeschooled.  If someone didn't want to hire them or interview them bc they were homeschooled, so be it.  FWIW, it has never been an issue for my kids.  No one has ever had a problem with them being homeschooled and my oldest ds has worked for 2 of the top chemical companies in the country.  

(Another way of looking at the issue is that the person reviewing the resume was showing their own bias.)  

I don't feel that my son is "hiding" anything. 

Typically the people doing the hiring are not the people you work with once you get the job.  I would hate for my kids to miss out on a fantastic opportunity to work at a great company with great colleagues just because someone in the HR department has a bias against homeschoolers.  Obviously, the person reviewing the resume is showing their bias if they reject an applicant because he was homeschooled, but that person is the one with the decision making power. 

Unless someone has received a job offer from every single resume they have ever sent out, I don't know how the claim can be made that mentioning that you were homeschooled on a resume has never been an issue.  

• Like 1

I don't feel that my son is "hiding" anything. 

Typically the people doing the hiring are not the people you work with once you get the job.  I would hate for my kids to miss out on a fantastic opportunity to work at a great company with great colleagues just because someone in the HR department has a bias against homeschoolers.  Obviously, the person reviewing the resume is showing their bias if they reject an applicant because he was homeschooled, but that person is the one with the decision making power. 

Unless someone has received a job offer from every single resume they have ever sent out, I don't know how the claim can be made that mentioning that you were homeschooled on a resume has never been an issue.  

My kids have never included high school information on a resume.  Their resumes focus on their college up info.  

• Like 1

Could you guys give some school sounding names for those of us who don't live in America but will be applying to American Universities.

Ruth in NZ

Agreeing with Garga. Other common high school names center around geographical directions or physical features.

Mountainview High

Central High

Westside High

Oakwood High

But most are town name (plus direction for large towns) like Lincoln Northeast or Danville West.

Private schools tend to be name then "Christian Academy" and Catholic schools are mostly (but not all) Saint Name Catholic School.

• Like 1

My kids have never included high school information on a resume.  Their resumes focus on their college up info.  

Ok. I don't think it helps the discussion to say that your kids have never had a problem disclosing that they were homeschooled on a resume when they never disclosed that information on a resume to begin with.

The purpose of starting this thread was just to say that there could be reasons down the road for us to name our homeschools, something I never considered when I began homeschooling the high school years. 

Could you guys give some school sounding names for those of us who don't live in America but will be applying to American Universities. Schools here are called 'Colleges' so that might really confuse the admissions people.

Ruth in NZ

Here's a list of the "Top 100 Private High Schools" from one website, for a wide variety of name examples. http://www.bestcolleges.com/features/best-high-schools-in-america/

Ok. I don't think it helps the discussion to say that your kids have never had a problem disclosing that they were homeschooled on a resume when they never disclosed that information on a resume to begin with.

The purpose of starting this thread was just to say that there could be reasons down the road for us to name our homeschools, something I never considered when I began homeschooling the high school years. 

I was responding to quark who said her ds would have a problem not disclosing he was homeschooled.  My kids are up front about it.

Reason being, knowing my son, he would really dislike having not to mention that he was homeschooled. It's the kind of thing he would have trouble not saying if asked.

My kids feel exactly the same way.  If something or someone asked, they would immediately disclose they were homeschooled.  

It has been a long time since I listed high school info on my resume, but it has always been asked for on every job application I have ever filled out.

My husband does interviewing for one of the largest companies in the country, and when and where an applicant graduated high school is always included in the information he reviews ahead of time.  He says he barely glances at it, and that he has never seen an applicant list homeschooled.  If he ever did see that, he would certainly not be prejudiced again it, but he agrees that others hypothetically might be.

Wendy

• Like 2

It has been a long time since I listed high school info on my resume, but it has always been asked for on every job application I have ever filled out.

My husband does interviewing for one of the largest companies in the country, and when and where an applicant graduated high school is always included in the information he reviews ahead of time. He says he barely glances at it, and that he has never seen an applicant list homeschooled. If he ever did see that, he would certainly not be prejudiced again it, but he agrees that others hypothetically might be.

Wendy

I agree. They have definitely been asked if they have a high school diploma. And, yes, name of high school and address. (Though, come to think of it, the addresses of several of my kids' "high school" are no longer "in existence." We have lived in 3 different houses (2 different states) since our oldest graduated from high school. Only our current college student graduated from this state. I am assuming they put down our current address. (Never really thought about it before.)

When asked school name, when they are adults and are filling out applications, I guess they could write down whatever they wanted to at point if they made the decision that they wanted to not make it obvious they were homeschooled. It really wouldn't matter what I called it since there is no offical record of our school name in existence any where other than my files.

(Last name) Academy is what we have usually called our homeschool. I am assuming that is what they report. (Of course, Mobile Academy might be more appropriate since we move so much and would remove the address complication. :) )

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

We currently (jokingly) refer to our homeschool as the Wayside School for Wayward Boys... Maybe we should rethink sooner, rather than later!  :lol:

• Like 4

Obviously, one can name the homeschool to sound like a traditional school, or one can leave the high school info off the resume, but what about the college transcript?  Do colleges list the name of the high school on the college transcript?  Mine had it listed along with my permanent address, but that was back in the dark ages....

Obviously, one can name the homeschool to sound like a traditional school, or one can leave the high school info off the resume, but what about the college transcript? Do colleges list the name of the high school on the college transcript? Mine had it listed along with my permanent address, but that was back in the dark ages....

I haven't noticed it on any of the transcripts I have submitted for the good student car insurance discount.

But if they did, I am not sure they wouldn't just put homeschool regardless of what we put on our transcript. Not a single college application has recognized our school name. It is probably bc when you enter info on the application your student selects homeschool as the category. Schools would have to physically enter the school name vs going with what is generated via the computer application. With so much coding for categorization (enter your schools CEEB code, etc), I don't think anything other than homeschool would matter.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Obviously, one can name the homeschool to sound like a traditional school, or one can leave the high school info off the resume, but what about the college transcript?  Do colleges list the name of the high school on the college transcript?  Mine had it listed along with my permanent address, but that was back in the dark ages....

I have never even seen my college transcript, and none of my former employers ever requested it.

I did have to state the name of the high school I graduated from on every job application I have completed, though.  Like I said in my original post, I am glad that I officially named our homeschool on both the diploma and transcript so my kids have a school name that they can list when they complete job applications and submit a resume.

Ruth in NZ

We're "Rivendell Academy" here.  DD named us years ago and it's stuck.  I had always planned to change the name before graduating her, but the few people who have seen her "in progress" transcript didn't pick up on it.  I may just keep it for the diploma. :001_smile: