Menu

Anyone want to help me out with a thought experiment??

I'm still working my way through the posts in this thread (note to self: you left off at post #47) and trying to gather my thoughts coherently on this subject.  It's surprisingly difficult for me to do this right now (gather my thoughts on it), yet I suspect it is a well-timed exercise nonetheless.  It's something of a reality-check, something that can help make sure we are still going in a good direction, working in good ways for us, instead of getting stuck in ruts.

Does this make sense?

• Like 2

I'm still working my way through the posts in this thread (note to self: you left off at post #47) and trying to gather my thoughts coherently on this subject.  It's surprisingly difficult for me to do this right now (gather my thoughts on it), yet I suspect it is a well-timed exercise nonetheless.  It's something of a reality-check, something that can help make sure we are still going in a good direction, working in good ways for us, instead of getting stuck in ruts.

Does this make sense?

Yes, it does. And I agree!

• Like 2

You know what I would love? A homeschool tour group. If there was an affordable way to travel and take the kids to educational places with other homeschoolers, I'd be there.

My experience going on field trips with homeschoolers is that the kids are so excited to see their friends they miss the whole purpose of the field trip.  No more group field trips for me unless they're recreational.   :D

• Like 5

The interesting thing about the bolded is that autonomy plays a key role in the development of competence, mastery and self discipline, at least according to self determination theory (which has reasonably good evidence for its utility).

I actually see a lot of education as actively undermining autonomy - especially that which is undertaken due to having to tick the boxes.

I personally struggle with this. I believe I could provide an education more encouraging of both autonomy and competence if I was freed from the legal obligation to tick certain boxes.

:iagree: I struggle with this, too. It's hard to find that perfect balance between requiring A, B, and C, on the one hand, and encouraging the student's intrinsic motivation, on the other.

Short personal anecdote: We had a library in our public high school, I do not know why. No one ever used it, except for one, brief class -- Library Orientation -- at the beginning of sophomore year. I remember walking past the library doors each morning, thinking, "If they'd only let me in there, if they'd only let me read, I might actually learn something." Honestly, by the time I'd put in my day, shuffling from poorly-taught class to even-more-poorly-taught class, went to band practice or Mock Trial, walked home, did chores, took a shower, did homework, spent time with my parents -- where was there any time for autonomy? Where was there any time for self-study or personal interests or mastery of something that interested me? That kind of daily set-up, year after year, is not at all conducive to becoming a self-directed learner. I remember feeling a sense of loss about that, even in high school.

So there is that question for us, as homeschoolers, of how to prevent doing the same thing again to our own kids. On the one hand -- The Requirements, ours and the state's. On the other hand -- Something Else? I remember having this idea in my head, back then, that my preference would have been to meet with tutors every week (for direction, conversation, reading assignments, assessment), and then to spend the rest of my time in a nice, quiet, comfortable, sunny place, surrounded by books, pen and notebook in hand, reading, absorbing, thinking through things.... Alas, it was not to be. 

I had this idea that I could have one tutor for Math, Science & Technology. We would meet twice weekly.

Another for Humanities -- English Composition (with vocabulary, grammar, etc.), English Literature, History, Geography, Philosophy, etc. We would meet three times per week.

Another tutor for French. Three times a week.

Another for Music. Twice weekly.

So, a high school schedule might be something like:

Monday-Wednesday-Friday

AM: Humanities Tutor; French Tutor

PM: Readings/study/exercises in Math/Science & Music

Tuesday-Thursday

AM: Math/Science/Tech Tutor; Music Tutor

PM: Readings/study/writings for Humanities & French

Anyway, that was my high school dream line-up. The reality was a far cry from that. :rolleyes:

• Like 7

So, a high school schedule might be something like:

Monday-Wednesday-Friday

AM: Humanities Tutor; French Tutor

PM: Readings/study/exercises in Math/Science & Music

Tuesday-Thursday

AM: Math/Science/Tech Tutor; Music Tutor

PM: Readings/study/writings for Humanities & French

This is actually quite similar to my daughter's schedule with tutors and on-line classes. It's working out well. Now if we can just replicate it next year.... :glare:

Edited to add: Time in the afternoons and evenings is also spent with mentors and in pursuing other interests and goals.

(Thanks for the reminder, maize.)

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 1

The autonomy issue is important to me as well. After writing my post upthread I realized I had left out an important goal I have in educating my own children: that of facilitating the development of their personal interests and pursuit of their individual goals.

• Like 4

I'm not talking about field trips though. I'm talking about a whole week touring educational places similar to what schools do with Washington DC or Europe trips. I'd prefer middle school age and up.

I think Landry Academy runs trips like that but they're probably only a good option for folks in their target demographic.

Do I hear you volunteering to coordinate something? :D

It actually would probably not be hard to do--set something up with one of the companies that regularly runs tour groups then advertise on TWTM boards for participants :)

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

I'm not talking about field trips though. I'm talking about a whole week touring educational places similar to what schools do with Washington DC or Europe trips. I'd prefer middle school age and up.

I think this is an example of what would be a great opportunity for one family, would be another family's private hell. I like having options though. (I just wouldn't choose the same option that you chose).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

No I get it. Dh would never be on board with something like this. He loathes travel. I'm the one with the wanderlust. 

For us it wouldn't be the travel. The issue would be traveling with a group.  There are many reasons I avoid it, including losing a certain degree of spontaneity and freedom.

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 4

For us it wouldn't be the travel. The issue would be traveling with a group. There are many reasons I avoid it, including losing a certain degree of spontaneity and freedom.

Yes. This is it for me. I like to poke around at things at my own pace. Some things I would breeze over and some things would have me stalled as I took it all in. It's similar when it comes to my book learning. In an ideal world, that would be at my pace too.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to say thank you SWB for starting this thread - and huge thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.  I've been reading through the replies and thinking and writing down my own responses to SWB's and others' questions.  Found this thread by accident and it came my way at a really good time for me to really benefit from considering these big picture questions.

How awesome is it to have a place to get challenged to think and respond in our homeschool life according to the really important stuff?! Fuel for the days and weeks when it can feel that we're just putting one foot in front of the other.   

• 8 months later...

I am finding some of the ideal in a homeschool co-op that employs those who are passionate about the subject their teaching. A former engineer is teaching junior high boys robotics. A woman whose native language is Spanish is teaching Spanish. A high ranking Air Force pilot who loves loves loves history has move his schedule around so that he can teach history. I guess in the upper grades, mentors as teachers is ideal. Also, I wish there were more people who were willing and more laws that made it possible for teens to be apprenticed. I had a friend who owned a remodeling company. He was excellent at his job. He was willing to take on apprentices but there were some laws that made it hard unless it was your own child. I have a son that loves computers and building them. We have a friend who has taught him some things and I have never seen my child so happy. But-our friend just doesn’t have the time. So, a network of people willing to apprentice teens in a variety of skills is my ideal.

Edited by bethben
  • Like 2