Menu

Voting 3rd party or refraining from voting at all

I have a sincere question for those who, because they do not approve for one reason or another of Obama or McCain, plan to either vote 3rd party or not vote at all. I really can understand the desire to not vote for someone you don't wholeheartedly support. Really. I fall in the camp of voters this election who would prefer to see someone other than the men on the two leading party tickets go into office. I'd like to share here why I, personally, will be casting my vote for one of them and then I truly would like to hear from those who are in this camp with me who will not and why all in the name of better understanding this aspect of our democratic life.

One of the two men we saw in debate last night will go into the presidential office of this great country in January. Without *enough* 3rd party votes (the likelihood of which based on history is minimal to none), nothing will change this fact.

From my perspective we (those who aren't enamored with Obama or McCain) have two choices:

1) Vote 3rd party or don't vote at all - results of this choice are inconsequential in terms of who is elected and serves us as the President of the United States. (History has proven that the likelihood of a 3rd party candidate winning the election is nil).

2) Choose between one of the two primary ticket leaders - results of this choice definitely carry potential for consequence

Personally, as I've already stated, I make the choice for Option #2 for the reasons I've stated. I want my vote to count in terms of whether our country is served by Obama or McCain and I believe this choice will better ensure that being the case. I'm sure I could be missing something here. If you carry a desire to make a difference in this election with your vote, please help me better understand the rationale for choosing option #1.

Above all - please understand that this is a genuine and sincere query. I am in no way attempting to ridicule or judge anyone who is opting for choice #1. I really do want to better understand why. :)

Edited by Sharon in SC
for clarification

I really appreciate how you framed your query.

I am going to go with Option #2 after much wrestling. I would love to see a third party, a truly socially and fiscally conservative party (Constitution?) as, IMO, Dems and Reps are really not all that different these days. We need to have at least two parties that are very different. I also think third party candidates should be allowed to debate in all debates. The two party system is broken and I'm not sure if it needs replacing or reform. How do we get started Sharon?:001_smile:

I am going to go with Option #2 after much wrestling. I would love to see a third party, a truly socially and fiscally conservative party (Constitution?) as, IMO, Dems and Reps are really not all that different these days. We need to have at least two parties that are very different. I also think third party candidates should be allowed to debate in all debates. The two party system is broken and I'm not sure if it needs replacing or reform. How do we get started Sharon?:001_smile:

:iagree: completely, Soph. Come on over for coffee--or perhaps a Mike's might put us in a better frame of mind!--and let's talk about it. :001_smile:

the outcome for texas is virtually guaranteed so my casting a vote for one of the 2 major parties won't make a difference to where my state's electoral votes go. so i'm voting 3rd party just to register my displeasure with the 2 major parties and how they have both drifted to the extremes. my HOPE is that if enough people did that, the leaders of the political parties would have to sit up and seriously think about changes.

if i were in one of the contested states, such as ohio and pennsylvania, i believe i'd have to default to your option #2 because my vote would potentially have an impact on the outcome.

kay

....as, IMO, Dems and Reps are really not all that different these days. We need to have at least two parties that are very different. I also think third party candidates should be allowed to debate in all debates. The two party system is broken and I'm not sure if it needs replacing or reform. How do we get started Sharon?:001_smile:

:iagree: Soph, I don't have the answer to your question this morning (how do we get started) but, for now, just know that I'm right there with you.

the outcome for texas is virtually guaranteed so my casting a vote for one of the 2 major parties won't make a difference to where my state's electoral votes go. so i'm voting 3rd party just to register my displeasure with the 2 major parties and how they have both drifted to the extremes. my HOPE is that if enough people did that, the leaders of the political parties would have to sit up and seriously think about changes.

if i were in one of the contested states, such as ohio and pennsylvania, i believe i'd have to default to your option #2 because my vote would potentially have an impact on the outcome.

kay

Yes, it's a real struggle because I'm in Virginia, a hotly contested state. (Which is SO EXCITING for us, actually, because we've always been a foregone conclusion.) Really struggling....

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to vote 3rd party but am definitely thinking about it. I understand that it won't effect the outcome of this election. My hope is that it could possibly effect the outcome of future elections. My thinking is that if enough people vote 3rd party then in the future the major parties will have to alter their platforms in order to win back our votes. We could become a powerful enough voting bloc that they would alter their policies to get our votes.

I still don't know what I'm going to do though. I'm very frustrated with this whole election and the choices I have. Neither major candidate represents me. I think about it and stew over it everyday.

Kris

I cannot vote for one and I will not vote for the other. I realize that one of those two men will be president and I can repect that, but my conscience will not let me vote for any of them at this point. I am in a sort-of battleground state in that it is *possible* that NC will go to Obama, so my vote would make a difference, but I still can't do it.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to vote 3rd party but am definitely thinking about it. I understand that it won't effect the outcome of this election. My hope is that it could possibly effect the outcome of future elections. My thinking is that if enough people vote 3rd party then in the future the major parties will have to alter their platforms in order to win back our votes. We could become a powerful enough voting bloc that they would alter their policies to get our votes.

I still don't know what I'm going to do though. I'm very frustrated with this whole election and the choices I have. Neither major candidate represents me. I think about it and stew over it everyday.

Kris

I can definitely understand the "hope that it could possibly effect the outcome of future elections". I feel, though, that history has proven it will not until someone like me, soph, and Leila get together and hash out a reform! :lol: Sad, but there it is (to quote Nanny McPhee).

Meanwhile, I'll continue to cast my vote where I feel it will count the most and make the greatest overall impact in the current election until or unless I have reason to believe that my vote today could change tomorrow. I just know there have been too many elections past where folks voted 3rd party in the name of changing the future and, well, here we are. :glare:

The thing that is stopping me from voting for the candidate toward whom I lean in perspective is that I don't believe either candidate is a sound choice. Period. If I really don't believe that, and since I also believe they both have good points, it doesn't really benefit me to try to swing the election one way or another (as if I could). It benefits me more to send the message that I am not in agreement with either party and I truly believe our country needs to have a more open system of campaigning so that new voices may be heard.

That said, I have not made a definitive choice regarding how I will vote. I will vote, however, with the intention of making a difference in the congressional election. I think that's the critical choice at this time.

I am in a sort-of battleground state in that it is *possible* that NC will go to Obama, so my vote would make a difference, but I still can't do it.

Not even in the name of aiming for the "least of two evils" principle ??? :tongue_smilie:

I know it's a quandry, drama queen. I really do.

I am voting third party to register my disagreement with the two major parties. As my husband so wisely put it, "You have two major candidates to choose from in this election. You can vote for the first choice, and things will be screwed up now. Or, you can cross party lines and things will be screwed up...now." In short, we don't see a huge difference between the two candidates. You can argue the fine points of the two platforms, but on the wide political spectrum, they are in reality very close. This is compounded by the fact that to make anything happen, they have to work with congress. I submit that the two administrations would look very similar when all is said and done.

In addition, if I vote for "the lesser of two evils", The Lesser only registers that as a vote for him and his policies, not as a protest against his opponent. The Greater gets the message that I like The Lesser's policies better, which is untrue, and since the loser of this race will continue to work in the U.S. Senate, not a message I want to send.

If I don't vote, it is registered as "I don't care." This country has poor voter turnout because of apathy. When you don't vote, how do you separate yourself from the apathetic and let it be down to those in power that it was actually a protest? I don't think you can. And apathy (or the perception of apathy by the powerful) in the current political climate (Patriot Act, troops under Northcom's command, etc.) is a Very Dangerous Thing. Many people have fought and died for my right to vote. People around the world risk their lives to vote. I do not and will not throw that right away.

When I vote third party, I am using my hard won vote to let my voice be heard. We have a screwed up system, imo. If everyone who was voting for "the lesser of two evils" would be brave (only a fraction as brave as those who died for our right to vote) and vote third party, the system would change.

Please don't tell me I'm throwing my vote away when I vote third party. And please don't compare it to not voting. I'm using my vote to let my voice be heard in the democratic process, not to affirm the two candidates that have been handed to me in what I deem a very undemocratic way.

My vote won't make any difference in my state, so that gives me the freedom to vote 3rd party. I just don't know, though. I think when 11/4 rolls around, I will find myself choosing option #2. I would love to see 3rd party candidates involved in the debate.

Janet

I am voting third party to register my disagreement with the two major parties. As my husband so wisely put it, "You have two major candidates to choose from in this election. You can vote for the first choice, and things will be screwed up now. Or, you can cross party lines and things will be screwed up...now." In short, we don't see a huge difference between the two candidates. You can argue the fine points of the two platforms, but on the wide political spectrum, they are in reality very close. This is compounded by the fact that to make anything happen, they have to work with congress. I submit that the two administrations would look very similar when all is said and done.

In addition, if I vote for "the lesser of two evils", The Lesser only registers that as a vote for him and his policies, not as a protest against his opponent. The Greater gets the message that I like The Lesser's policies better, which is untrue, and since the loser of this race will continue to work in the U.S. Senate, not a message I want to send.

If I don't vote, it is registered as "I don't care." This country has poor voter turnout because of apathy. When you don't vote, how do you separate yourself from the apathetic and let it be down to those in power that it was actually a protest? I don't think you can. And apathy (or the perception of apathy by the powerful) in the current political climate (Patriot Act, troops under Northcom's command, etc.) is a Very Dangerous Thing. Many people have fought and died for my right to vote. People around the world risk their lives to vote. I do not and will not throw that right away.

When I vote third party, I am using my hard won vote to let my voice be heard. We have a screwed up system, imo. If everyone who was voting for "the lesser of two evils" would be brave (only a fraction as brave as those who died for our right to vote) and vote third party, the system would change.

Please don't tell me I'm throwing my vote away when I vote third party. And please don't compare it to not voting. I'm using my vote to let my voice be heard in the democratic process, not to affirm the two candidates that have been handed to me in what I deem a very undemocratic way.

Amy, I agree with so much of what you've written here. And I am very thankful for folks like you who choose to not throw the right to vote away as my grandfather gave his life as a WWII paratrooper at the young age of 24 in Holland.

I was certainly not trying to compare voting 3rd party to not voting at all, in that sense. I was merely citing them together in terms of consequence to this election.

Truly, I believe the crux of the matter is when you wrote: "If everyone who was voting for "the lesser of two evils" would be brave (only a fraction as brave as those who died for our right to vote) and vote third party, the system would change." That is where those of us in this camp desiring someone other than those on the big tickets find ourselves in a quagmire. What reason do I have, after decades of voting history in this country, to believe that this year that 3rd party vote is going to change anything?! :confused:

Except for that, I TOTALLY get voting 3rd party for ALL of the reasons you've cited here. (And, BTW, you will not here me say you're throwing your vote away!)

My vote won't make any difference in my state, so that gives me the freedom to vote 3rd party. I just don't know, though. I think when 11/4 rolls around, I will find myself choosing option #2. I would love to see 3rd party candidates involved in the debate.

Janet

Someone remind me: Why did Perot get to be in on the debates?? (I feel so ignorant, but I just can't remember.)

I think maybe the place to start is in local or state elections.

I'm pretty quiet here, so please excuse me for sticking my nose into the conversation. :)

In all likelihood, I'll vote for one of the two candidates, but I've very seriously considered voting third party. This quote from John Quincy Adams comes to mind:

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may

cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost."

John Quincy Adams

I'm pretty quiet here, so please excuse me for sticking my nose into the conversation. :)

In all likelihood, I'll vote for one of the two candidates, but I've very seriously considered voting third party. This quote from John Quincy Adams comes to mind:

John Quincy Adams

THANK YOU for sticking your nose in! Great quote. Great contribution to the thread. Keep it up! :001_smile:

Someone remind me: Why did Perot get to be in on the debates?? (I feel so ignorant, but I just can't remember.)

You're right. How was that? That is what convinced dh to vote for Perot. The only time he voted 3rd party. He loved those charts and graphs he had and believed he would get us out of debt. Oh well.

Janet

Kris

This is my thinking as well. Not sure what I'm doing at this point, but I think that if enough people voted third party it would send a strong message that many of us are not happy with the current system and that if the large parties want to capture our attention and our votes they will need to change their ways. Since I am in Virginia, though, I feel somewhat hesitant to follow through on this.

:iagree:

Exactly, thanks, Amy. Except my DH proclaims loudly that I am "wasting" my vote. No. Many people have fought for me to exercise my right to vote and I will not vote for the "lesser of two evils"

In that case, I totally understand your position. For me, one's potential leadership virtually unnerves me. I guess because the other one doesn't, then he becomes my lesser of two evils. :001_smile:

I feel that way, too, but I can't morally vote for the other. It stinks, really, because I would *like* to vote. The only third party candidate in NC is Bob Barr, and um, no way.

This is the first time I have voted in a battleground state, and I find that it makes a difference.

In Texas, it honestly didn't matter who I voted for. I voted 3rd party because those politicians best matched my political views. No, they weren't going to win, but this is MY vote and MY statement to the government. All it takes is enough people voting 3rd party to make the rest of the nation stand up and take notice. I strongly believe in voting my conscience.

However, here in a battleground state, I find that, unfortunately, I am more concerned with defeating one candidate. I hate that. I don't think I have ever voted AGAINST someone before. Then again, there are no 3rd party candidates that speak for me this year, anyway, so, whatever.

Layla .... Perot had enough money to get him on enough ballots. None of the other 3rd party candidates have had his kind of money. Some states make it ridiculously hard, almost impossible, for a 3rd party to get on the ballot. The system is broken.

This is my thinking as well. Not sure what I'm doing at this point, but I think that if enough people voted third party it would send a strong message that many of us are not happy with the current system and that if the large parties want to capture our attention and our votes they will need to change their ways. Since I am in Virginia, though, I feel somewhat hesitant to follow through on this.

I feel your pain, Kathleen. It sounds like we all do. Personally, I just can't get around, in my mind, the failure to find reason to think that this strategy (voting 3rd party) is going to work. I really do believe we've got to find another way because generations upon generations have been trying to do it this way to no avail.

This is the first time I have voted in a battleground state, and I find that it makes a difference.

In Texas, it honestly didn't matter who I voted for. I voted 3rd party because those politicians best matched my political views. No, they weren't going to win, but this is MY vote and MY statement to the government. All it takes is enough people voting 3rd party to make the rest of the nation stand up and take notice. I strongly believe in voting my conscience.

However, here in a battleground state, I find that, unfortunately, I am more concerned with defeating one candidate. I hate that. I don't think I have ever voted AGAINST someone before. Then again, there are no 3rd party candidates that speak for me this year, anyway, so, whatever.

Layla .... Perot had enough money to get him on enough ballots. None of the other 3rd party candidates have had his kind of money. Some states make it ridiculously hard, almost impossible, for a 3rd party to get on the ballot. The system is broken.

Seriously, Lynx? Was that it? He didn't have to win some percentage of votes somewhere or something first? You're SO right; that's SO wrong. The system is broken. It's sad that only a bazillionaire could break into presidential-level politics outside the 2-party system.

John Quincy Adams

Oh, Shannon, THANK YOU for chiming in! :grouphug:

I love this quote you've shared by J. Adams, albeit we live in a different world now, than he, and I, unfortunately, have to process that through the filter of 2008. :glare:

No matter, I am thrilled for having been exposed to his comment and am glad it came from you. Nice to meet you! :)

Seriously, Lynx? Was that it? He didn't have to win some percentage of votes somewhere or something first? You're SO right; that's SO wrong. The system is broken. It's sad that only a bazillionaire could break into presidential-level politics outside the 2-party system.

Yeah, but first he had to use an amazing amount of money to get on enough ballots. Like I said, some states, make it terribly hard, and only if you have a ton of money can you do what needs to be done. He spent enough money and worked hard enough that he had something like 30% at the polls at the time.

DH worked for Perot's campaign. Wonder how Perot would have managed this current financial crisis?

Yeah, but first he had to use an amazing amount of money to get on enough ballots. Like I said, some states, make it terribly hard, and only if you have a ton of money can you do what needs to be done. He spent enough money and worked hard enough that he had something like 30% at the polls at the time.

DH worked for Perot's campaign. Wonder how Perot would have managed this current financial crisis?

Better than what we have?

Janet

kay

Ditto. I'm in Ca. If we still lived in Fla. I'd be agonizing over it a whole lot more.

:iagree: Well put. This will be the first election where I will be voting 3rd party. I have voted lesser of two evils in the past, but I just can't in this election because they are both so unacceptable to me. I live in a winner take all state that should be going to McCain. If I was in a battleground state, I might reconsider and try really hard to find some good reason to vote for one of them. However, I feel that voting 3rd party is the best way for my voice to be heard - think of what this country could become if all people voted their conscience rather than voting for someone just because they are deemed electable by the republocrats.

.... think of what this country could become if all people voted their conscience rather than voting for someone just because they are deemed electable by the republocrats.

:iagree: What is it going to take to get us there? Having a 3rd party option, alone, has been historically proven to not be enough to get us there. What is the answer?! I don't proport to know but I sure wish I did.

Voting for the status quo (Dem or Rep) will only serve to keep the status quo. If everyone who was dissatisfied with the two major parties stopped voting for the two major parties that would eventually lead to something truly different. Maybe I won't see it in my lifetime, but I hope my children will.

Frankly, I think it's extremely unlikely that we'll see any significant change within either major party. I mean, really, McCain as the Republican nominee? Any shifts in the Republican party lately have been toward the center, which means the party doesn't represent a truly conservative (small government across the board) point of view.

While it's true that we'll see either Obama or McCain as our next president, I can't in good conscience vote for either of them. One does not strike me as any better than the other. They are both equally poor choices, imo, which means I will vote for neither. Instead I will be voting for the candidate that most closetly reflects my personal views and beliefs regarding the proper role of government. That person happens to be a third party candidate.

Voting for the status quo (Dem or Rep) will only serve to keep the status quo. If everyone who was dissatisfied with the two major parties stopped voting for the two major parties that would eventually lead to something truly different. Maybe I won't see it in my lifetime, but I hope my children will.

Frankly, I think it's extremely unlikely that we'll see any significant change within either major party. I mean, really, McCain as the Republican nominee? Any shifts in the Republican party lately have been toward the center, which means the party doesn't represent a truly conservative (small government across the board) point of view.

While it's true that we'll see either Obama or McCain as our next president, I can't in good conscience vote for either of them. One does not strike me as any better than the other. They are both equally poor choices, imo, which means I will vote for neither. Instead I will be voting for the candidate that most closetly reflects my personal views and beliefs regarding the proper role of government. That person happens to be a third party candidate.

(slight CC) Well, Veritaserum's post seems to be a good place for me to say that I've met my objective in posting this morning. :D (And, thanks to all who have participated!) This is what I've learned about those of us who desire something other than the current representatives in the major parties of this nation for the White House:

Some of us hold out hope that voting 3rd party will send a message and bring about change; some of us do not. The irony here is that I am long considered to be an eternal optimist. I'm afraid this is one area of life where I can't get past decades upon decades and generations upon generations who have tried this (voting 3rd party) without success. I honestly just don't have any reason to believe that my children, in their lifetime, will witness the change we desire with voting 3rd party our primary method of seeing that change realized.

I can readily understand those in non-battleground states feeling freer to vote their "conscience". I can also better understand choosing option #1 (see OP) in cases where one does not perceive one primary candidate to be any better than the other.

In any case, it is my daily heartcry that God's Kingdom purposes for our country prevail on election day. In the words of Father Tim of Mitford fame, that is the "prayer that never fails". :)

I'm afraid this is one area of life where I can't get past decades upon decades and generations upon generations who have tried this (voting 3rd party) without success. I honestly just don't have any reason to believe that my children, in their lifetime, will witness the change we desire with voting 3rd party our primary method of seeing that change realized.

We appear to be at an impasse. Generations of trying to change things within the major parties have failed as well. What, then, is the solution?

We appear to be at an impasse. Generations of trying to change things within the major parties have failed as well. What, then, is the solution?

Therein, my friend, lies the million dollar question. Care to join me, Leila, and Soph (and any other interested parties) for that coffee (or Mike's, whatever your beverage of choice) party? :tongue_smilie:

I just hit "Post Reply" so don't know where in this thread this post will land, lol, but I wanted to comment on two things:

1) No, write ins aren't automatic, neither are 3rd party candidates. Candidates have to follow procedures in each state to be on the ballot and not all pursue it, nor are all allowed (some states just don't have the option in the first place).

2) The "lesser of two evils" argument. It amazes me that this argument maintains such strong pull after what happened just four years ago. Four years ago people -- especially on the conservative side -- were using this argument as a reason to vote for GWB. Many conservatives were not thrilled with the job GWB had done in his first four years, but voted for him anyway because "the alternative was unthinkable". And look where we are! It got WORSE, much worse. GWB has brought our country further into socialism and unlawful war and DEBT than was ever imagined could be even possible (sometimes it feels that way, anyway). THIS is the "lesser of two evils?" Really? I'm not convinced. And I'm not convinced that either of these candidates would be ANY different than what has happened with GWB. Why? Why would I think that? People thought this was true of GWB and look at us! Grrrrr...

Can you tell I don't care for this "lesser of two evils" argument? :)

So, for *me* -- I'm not going to waste my vote on someone I don't believe in. I'm going to vote 3rd party or do a write in (it will COUNT here in our state). I know that my candidate will not win, but that's just the way it goes. I'm not scared of an Obama or a McCain presidency (my faith takes me outside that). And I'll get to put the "Don't Blame Me! I voted for ____ " bumper sticker, lol.

kay

This is exactly how I feel, Kay. Put me down for a probable 3rd party vote.

Also remember, it's your local and state representatives that effect policy and our daily lives just as much if not more sometimes. I may have voted for one of the "two" this year (first time in many years) but I voted third party in as many other races as I possibly could. This is one of the ways we can insure in future races we have more choices. Gotta start from the bottom and work on up.

One of the two men we saw in debate last night will go into the presidential office of this great country in January. No matter how many voters vote 3rd party or refrain from voting all together, nothing will change this fact.

Beliefs like that are likely to be self-fulfilling prophecies! I will not just throw my hands in the air and give up! There are plenty people out there who are disgusted by both Obama and McCain. If each of them would drop this ridiculous "lesser of two evils" approach, we WOULD see change. And forget the "Oh, my vote won't make a difference" excuse! No, one vote may not be the turning of the tide, but one vote combined with many others of like mind WILL make a difference.

That's why I am voting third party. Time for me to go have some chocolate and :chillpill: .

On a lighter note, dh is threatening to deface our vehicle with a "Cthulhu for President: Why vote for the lesser evil?" bumper sticker.:blink:

-Robin