Menu

Personality change after surgery?

Janeway

Someone I only sort of know, said her child had surgery and then came out of surgery with a different personality. The child turned mean and would have panic and anxiety attacks. It has been years since the surgery but apparently, the child came out of surgery very hyper and agitated when child had previously been sweet and calm.

Someone else from the group for some reason felt the need to tell her that anesthesia cannot cause brain damage or changes like that, and her child likely always had issues. My personal opinion was that if a stroke can cause brain damage, then brain damage is possible. For example, I had a loved elderly relative who had a series of small strokes and became an impatient cranky person. So it would stand to reason to me that a child could have a mini stroke or any other problem from a surgery.

The mom with the child who had special needs has not shown up since. I feel bad for her and how that other person treated her. Oh, her child who has the special needs goes to school so I have not met that older child. I have only met her preschooler.

I was also thinking of this because of the other post with the Clydesdale accident. They were talking about a personality change because of damage to a part of the brain, on the other post.

. I'm not sure what the mechanism of general surgery causing personality change  would be.

It is not the surgery per se, but the general anesthesia.

This can actually cause Post Operative Cognitive Dysfunction, which normally resolves itself after a while, but can in rare cases have lingering effects.

A quick google search brought up many links like this one

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/hidden-dangers-of-going-under/

or

http://www.anesthesiaweb.org/dementia.php

I do not have time to research how scientifically substantiated the second article is. 

This wikipedia entry has some original research cited in the bibliography:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postoperative_cognitive_dysfunction

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

We've dealt with this in an adult.

Typically POCD is short-lived, but especially with heart surgery, but it can indeed stretch out. Sadly, it's not very well understood, and there's really no chemical way of shortening the recovery. 

PTSD is another factor, particularly if it was a tough surgery and/or difficult recovery, but PTSD can of course happen in less traumatic cases. It depends on the individual.

There can indeed be strokes involved, but sometimes the MRI's are clear and there's no explanation.

If they're open to it, they should go to a cognitive therapist with a speciality in trauma.

Edited by G5052

Brain injury can cause change in personality.

I have no idea about surgery. I'm not sure what the mechanism of general surgery causing personality change  would be.

My DD had a pretty significant personality change after surgery. Her surgery required a 5 day hospital stay and 5 day a week PT for several months after. It was probably worse because she had a relatively minor but painful surgery only 6weeks before the 2nd more serious one. There was a lot of pain, fear, and a temporary loss of the ability to walk. It was an extremely traumatic experience. I think, depending on the surgery, it can cause trauma, and trauma can cause personality change. 

Fortunately, DD's personality change was not necessarily all negative, but it was distinct, sudden, and lasting. 

My son has PTSD after surgeries. It took several surgeries for us to realize that the medication they give kids "to help them not remember" didn't work for him. He still talks about remembering the doctors talking, the nursing moving equipment around, and the bright lights in his eyes and he's 14.

depending what was going on with his chemistry beforehand - both brain and general - yes, the affect of anesthesia can cause a personality change.  it happened to me.  there was no brain damage - just a very seriously whacked chemistry afterwards.  and it was only a 'minor' outpatient procedure.  I suspect it was imbalanced beforehand - and the anesthesia sent it over the edge. 

when I awoke from surgery i had profound anxiety, and was growling (I wanted to claw - and I couldn't open my eyes), very aggressive . . . they had to give me sedatives (which didn't help the long-term situation . . . ).  I was *FINE* before I went in.

later I ended up with everything swinging like  an ever increasing arc of a pendulum that was completely beyond my control. eventually a doctor was able to stabilize it. but that was three years later (because my previous dr didn't believe me.)

I would suggest a naturopathic physician if you have access to one.  they will look at all their chemistry (labs) to get a better picture of what might be going on.

eta: i've had other surgeries with no issue, so this one surprised me.  I had been having health problems that would have whacked out my chemistry (ravaged my immune system) -that was partly why I was having surgery in the first place.  though it was still elective.

I've had surgery since - spoke with the anesthesiologist in depth out of concern of a repeat,  he was clueless as to what could have triggered it.  it was many years later and the drugs used were different.  I was fine.

Edited by gardenmom5

I truly believe that wisdom tooth extraction shortly before leaving for a college exchange program pushed my borderline depressed daughter over the edge. She woke up from anesthesia sobbing, and never really was "right" again in the months following. Her suicide attempt was 3 months later. I do not think anesthesia and surgery was the only factor, but I do believe it was a factor.

Janeway, Would you feel comfortable calling the mom and just saying hi since she hasn't come back to the group?

I just remember feeling very isolated by the behavior of one of my kids, especially when people made comments, even if they were well-meaning. It could have made a difference if someone just called to say hi.

• Like 5

Typically POCD is short-lived, but especially with heart surgery, but it can indeed stretch out. Sadly, it's not very well understood, and there's really no chemical way of shortening the recovery.

If they're open to it, they should go to a cognitive therapist with a speciality in trauma.

Yes, this. It is a frequent occurrence in elderly people. My father's dementia was related to his anesthesia and it never resolved. He was totally normal prior to the surgery then afterwards, not. His dementia progressively worsened after that point until his recent death. Elderly people need to think long and hard before having surgery. Many times there isn't an alternative to surgery, but people should be informed of all the potential outcomes, including cognitive dysfunction.

A cognitive therapist might be helpful, but I think a complete neuropsychological exam and test battery is imperative.

• Like 2

My FIL had heart surgery and his personality was permanently affected by it.  He became very morose.

A cognitive therapist might be helpful, but I think a complete neuropsychological exam and test battery is imperative.

Yes, of course. We did that as well, and there really weren't any findings other than memory issues which got worse after surgery, but were there before.

• Like 1