Menu

Small and lightweight gift ideas for a 6yo and a 9yo?

luuknam

So, my youngest will have his 6th birthday while we're in NL, and both kids will celebrate Sinterklaas* while in NL. Which is all very fun, but we don't have an infinite luggage allowance to take back to the US with us. Normally it's hard enough to think of presents, but with the restrictions of small and lightweight... :willy_nilly:

I'm sure some of you are geniuses who love coming up with gift ideas though. :) They like: Pokémon, Minecraft, Pandemic (board game), Play-Doh, bicycling, etc.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

Iota The Great Big Game in The Teeny-Weeny Tin is another fun option. The box is smaller than those of the two games I listed above; however, the game itself requires far more space.

That's fine, the main concern is everything fitting within the bags we can check. If they're too big to play, I guess the games will have to find other ways to entertain themselves in the cargo space on the long, long flight.

• Like 1

How long before coming back will it be? Maybe a small trinket and an IOU and the promise that the gift is waiting for them at home. Then there's no luggage worries.

Things they can use in the trip.

My dd6 LOVESbeing able to take her own pictures. Do they have cameras? You can go anything from cheap disposables to inexpensive digitals to a higher range camera.

Along with that, we gave my kiddo a shutterfly coupon to make her own picture book about her trips.

We also gave her one of those prepaid Visa cards with a small amount of money to purchase her own souvenirs. Even though we would have gotten them for her, having the 'freedom' and jndependence to choose/control/budget her own was a BIG deal:)

She also loved a sketchbook/colored pencils. This has become a regular thing for each trip. We usually get her one at each major museum we go to, with art from that museum on the cover.

• Like 1

MP3 player & headphones with audiobooks (preloaded or option to choose/download while in NL)

Watch

Binoculars

pocket microscope

Balsa wood stunt planes 

Plastic Snap-together models

Jigsaw puzzles (may have to travel without the box & perhaps take a picture of the picture)

Metal Brain Teasers

Aaron's Thinking Putty 

science kit that could be done in NL

magic tricks set

small playmobil sets

Chinese Jump Rope / Cat's Cradle book set ... like this one

Explorer's Bag filled with stuff:  collapsible cup, compass, small notebook and pencil, first aid kit, magnifying glass, prism, survival whistle, book on knot tying (and length of rope to practice), foldable water bottle, field guide ... think about traveling down the camping gear aisle.  ;)

R/C car or mini drone or helicopter or ...?!?

Nano Speed Vehicles or Micro chargers

Personalized dinner plate or bowl or pillowcase or pencils or ... ?!?

bicycle computer 

Are they at all interested in fiber arts or hand sewing?  If so - then a loom or a sewing kit for felt animals.  (again might need to be opened ahead of time and creatively packed)

An IOU for an experience at home (zoo membership or day out bowling or ....)

(Now how come I have a hard time coming up with gift ideas for my own kids?!?!)

• Like 1

We have the exact same problem...  

What about tickets to a local attraction- a NL children's museum, bouncy house gym, rock climbing gym, circus...  

Small lego sets are lightweight.  My kids construct them immediately, then instructions and the finished pieces go into large ziplocks for the trip home.  If they break, they can easily repair them once arrived.  

The trick is to prevent relatives from giving more than 1-2 small items.  It's when they go crazy that suitcase space becomes a big problem!  

• Like 1

That's fine, the main concern is everything fitting within the bags we can check. If they're too big to play, I guess the games will have to find other ways to entertain themselves in the cargo space on the long, long flight.

p.s.  I had to chuckle at your "very long flight".  We do Switzerland to California...  now THAT is a long flight!  :-D  

How many times have I wished my family was on the East Coast...  8 hours seems so reasonable compared to 12-14...  

But seriously though, good luck and pray the airplane has individual screens with in-flight movies.  This has totally changed the game for us, flight-wise.  

• Like 1

Maybe take a photo of a Lego set or some other desired but unpractical when traveling toy (bike, drum kit, puppy, whatever), and give it to them in a card.  Yes! You got the item you wanted...and it is waiting for you at home!  Meanwhile here are a few smaller, lightweight presents to open and a superhero t-shirt (I saw many ideas already listed above).

• Like 1

How long before coming back will it be? Maybe a small trinket and an IOU and the promise that the gift is waiting for them at home. Then there's no luggage worries.

Birthday soon after arrival in NL (we're staying a month), Sinterklaas about a week before return.

The trick is to prevent relatives from giving more than 1-2 small items.  It's when they go crazy that suitcase space becomes a big problem!  

My mom asked for a wish list, which is why I'm trying to come up with something. :)

p.s.  I had to chuckle at your "very long flight".  We do Switzerland to California...  now THAT is a long flight!  :-D  

How many times have I wished my family was on the East Coast...  8 hours seems so reasonable compared to 12-14...  

But seriously though, good luck and pray the airplane has individual screens with in-flight movies.  This has totally changed the game for us, flight-wise.  

I know. But board games have like, zero patience. Except for Monopoly - that one could keep itself entertained all flight long.

Bicycle bells? You could get them there and they are small. Plastic seat covers for their bikes? Another buy it there item. Of course, if they don't bike at home, neither of these would be good options. 

Swiss Cheese Cheetos? Amsterdam in the only place I've ever seen them, they are yummy! 

Chocolate sprinkles for their toast? You could empty the box into a plastic bag to make it more packable. Of course, then it might end up being chocolate dust. 

I am trying to come up with something unique to NL, but I'm not doing too well, am I? 

You could purchase gift certificates for things/experiences at home ahead of time and give them for Sinterklass, since you will be going home shortly afterwards. 

• Like 1