Menu

Wwyd re: "family" dinner....

Prairie~Phlox

We are good friends with our next door neighbor & for about a year have been doing a "family" dinner on Sundays with them. Recently she became good friends with a new family to our neighborhood & started to include them, not a huge deal, but did not even consult with me about it. Even more recently they added another next door neighbor that lives next to the new family. We don't have young children, but the two new families do. We also have several food sensitivities & have worked around them. It just seems such chaos & I'm torn what to do & don't want to be the negative Nelly about things, all families seem nice, it's just not my thing when I's rather have a nice quiet Sunday evening. Wwyd?

If you are not enjoying yourself be honest with your neighbor. Tell her the weekly get together is too much with all the families and your food sensitivities and you need to cut back on your participation.

I agree. If you will miss the time with them individually you could suggest an alternative. Maybe get together on a Friday evening once a month?

• Like 2

I might bow out vaguely a time or two first and just see how things go. Maybe that season is over and New things await you! Or maybe those families with littles will start to flake, or maybe you will decide that it is worth it to attend once a month, or, who knows? If asked, I would admit my concerns, but if not I would wait and see what happens.

I miss having "living life together" neighbors. I think I am literally jealous of your "problem"!

I hope something works out!

I know right! I hate wining about this, part of me is like suck it up, get to know more people....My neighbor was stressed & in a bad mood though, she usually is always complaining, so I just don't always enjoy the atmosphere. It is nice not having to cook a main dish every week, but then I feel I need to make gf daughter something anyway. We've not had it at anyone else's house except our neighbor, the other 2 families live a road over in our neighborhood.

We used to go on a camping trip with another family every summer.  One summer other family invited several other families without even discussing it with us.  I'm another one who prefers smaller groups and gets overwhelmed by large groups.  Friend is a "more the merrier" type, and it did not even occur to her it would be an issue.

It's okay to be different types, just communicate and bow out if your friends prefer more people.

• Like 1