Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW37: Time for another mini challenge

Robin M

I finished the fictionalized memoir Sergio Y. by Brazilian author Alexandre Vidal Porto.  I think I am supposed to feel all warm and fuzzy but I don't.  Stacia, idnib--you two read this, yes?  Thoughts?

Send me a PM if you want Orhan's Inheritance or Sergio Y, folks.  Otherwise they'll find their way into my neighborhood Wee Free box.

• Like 8

I finished the fictionalized memoir Sergio Y. by Brazilian author Alexandre Vidal Porto.  I think I am supposed to feel all warm and fuzzy but I don't.  Stacia, idnib--you two read this, yes?  Thoughts?

Send me a PM if you want Orhan's Inheritance or Sergio Y, folks.  Otherwise they'll find their way into my neighborhood Wee Free box.

I think that's how I felt. I wrote "Sad, but immensely hopeful" just after finishing it. I appreciated the thoughts on identity, happiness, sadness, and what we bring to the lives of others, sometimes without even knowing it.

I just finished reading Mink River. I absolutely loved it.  It took me more than half the book to realize that the Declan in this book (a minor character) is the Declan who is the main character of The Plover.  I guess I'm slow that way. They are both favorite books of all time for me at this point.

• Like 10

That's a pretty prestigious award.  It's gotta be worth like a million culture points! 

Prestigious indeed, but not sufficient to guarantee book quality. The author was a journalist and then worked for the Texas DPS, being involved in media relations following major events such as the Branch Davidian disaster and the Luby's massacre. But he's not a good storyteller, and struggles particularly in sustaining a book-length narrative. Still, there's lots of interesting stuff in his accounts of Texas Rangers through history. His accounts of the Bonnie and Clyde manhunt and the Texarkana Horror are gripping, and should have gotten more space than his lame retelling of an O. Henry story about a Ranger, or his musings as to why no Texas Rangers (or indeed anyone else) ate coyote meat.

Also I finished Treasure Island, again. Oh how I love reading that book, snuggled up to a child; and I was feeling pretty sad as Long John Silver once again absconded with a small fortune and disappeared, taking a joy of early childhood with him. :(

You know, I've never actually read Kidnapped; the girls went on to read that one to themselves.

Hope everyone who's feeling bad, feels better soon. This is why we only have cats.

• Like 11

Oh, Robin! So sorry to hear about your nose! Hope you feel better quickly & that swelling & pain go away very soon. :grouphug:

:lol: , aggieamy, about dogs vs. BAWers!

My knee is at that horribly itchy stage of being a (large) scab. It's maddening. My foot aches off & on, partly based on how much I've walked on a given day vs. spent time propping it up & icing it.

Loved Sergio Y., Jane. Loved it. Here's what I wrote about it at the time:

"I read this in one sitting.

This is a beautiful & inspiring book. Truly a gem. One of the very best I have read this year.

If I could press a copy into your hands, I would. And when you started reading, you might wonder why I loved it so. It starts off a little cool. Detached. But as each short chapter unfolds, the understated beauty of this story is revealed. And by the end, you too might have a tear in your eye & a smile on your face.
"

Rose, so happy to hear that you loved both The Plover & Mink River. They are all-time favorites of mine too. (And, I know magical realism is not even really your thing so I'm extra happy to read of your love for the books!)

Hope everyone who's feeling bad, feels better soon. This is why we only have cats.

Yeah, I have only cats too.

BUT....

Remember this little cutie (aka Hannibal Lector)?

Yuki%20May%2022%202016.jpg

I still have a scar on my palm from when she spiralized me awhile ago.

:tongue_smilie: :lol:

• Like 13

Rose, so happy to hear that you loved both The Plover & Mink River. They are all-time favorites of mine too. (And, I know magical realism is not even really your thing so I'm extra happy to read of your love for the books!)

Yeah, there were a couple of moments when I had to go  :blink: but not too many.  It had MR, but not too much.  It had stream of consciousness, but not too much, and it had these amazingly intertwined sentences where like 4 different things were going on at the same time and you had to really PAY ATTENTION to keep the threads straight.  It had a number of things I dislike in books, but it also had gorgeous, lyrical, descriptive prose that you could smell and taste and hear as well as see.  And it had great characters - quirky, human, flawed, weird, strange and wonderful characters. And it had such a strong sense of place.  And just the right amount of suspense/anticipation, and it pulled off all of the harrowing situations that it set up very well.  I am full of admiration.

• Like 9

I'm back to listening to The Shadow of the Wind and it's starting to lag. It started great but now I'm losing interest. It's taking too long for anything to happen. It's just dragging and dragging. Much like Love in the Time of Cholera. Maybe it's a cultural thing to drag out a story? So, I'm getting bored which is unfortunate. 

Amy, did you suggest Michigan for vacation? I think it was you. That's where we picked. We're going to spend a week near Torch Lake. I read that Torch Lake is one of the top rated most clear bodies of water in the world. I need to pull out our winter clothes to pack. Hopefully, the weather forecast is wrong because right now the forecast is rain for the whole week we will be there. 

• Like 12

Guys, we finally finished Voyage of the Beagle!   :party:

I feel like we've been reading it forever, but we did take a big chunk of time off this summer, between vacation and camps.  We enjoyed it very much particularly when Darwin waxed poetic, and we appreciated is anti-slavery rant in the final chapter. It got tedious at times, and had some cringe-worthy cultural insensitivity, but all in all was a very enjoyable window into the mind of the scientist before his most famous ideas had formed, uncovering some of the facts and experiences that helped to form them.

• Like 14

I'm back to listening to The Shadow of the Wind and it's starting to lag. It started great but now I'm losing interest. It's taking too long for anything to happen. It's just dragging and dragging. Much like Love in the Time of Cholera. Maybe it's a cultural thing to drag out a story? So, I'm getting bored which is unfortunate. 

LOL I've read the whole trilogy (and Love in the Time of Cholera, but that one was ages ago), so now you're making me feel like I have staying power. :)  Although I have never gotten past the second page of A Hundred Years of Solitude.  And only a few chapters into Don Quixote...   :leaving:

I actually really liked The Shadow of the Wind, but I did like the first one in the trilogy best.  The second one is pretty trippy - you don't really figure out what was really going in the second book till the third book clarifies the issue.  If you don't like trippy, you can skip the second one - it's a prequel; the third one is a sequel to the first.

And, I have yet to finish either of the books I'm currently reading, so I just have to talk about books I read a while ago...

Some of you must read so fast...  I'm lucky if I manage a book a month...

• Like 9

A book-ish piece from NPR ~

In Banned Books Scavenger Hunt, The Prize Is Literary 'Smut'

"Every year, libraries around the country observe Banned Books Week, to remind the public that even well known and much loved books can be the targets of censorship. This year, Washington, D.C.'s public library came up with a clever idea to focus attention on the issue: a banned books scavenger hunt.

Now, readers are stalking local shops, cafes and bookstores looking for copies of books that are hidden behind distinctive black and white covers. There is no title on the cover, just a phrase — such as FILTHY, TRASHY or PROFANE — which describes the reason why some people wanted the book banned...."

I recognize a few of these words.  How about you?

These 50 American Slang Words Are In Danger Of Disappearing

"We’re constantly hearing about saving eagles or giant pandas from extinction, but we rarely hear about words.

Electric Literature reported on a campaign launched to help preserve a strange, yet wildly entertaining list of “endangered†regional American words and phrases. 

After all, we can’t lose our sonsy supple-sawneys!..."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I recognize a few of these words. How about you?

"We’re constantly hearing about saving eagles or giant pandas from extinction, but we rarely hear about words.

Electric Literature reported on a campaign launched to help preserve a strange, yet wildly entertaining list of “endangered†regional American words and phrases.

Regards,

Kareni

I knew "cuddy" and "sonsy" from Scots dialect; and the Texan "tow sack."

• Like 6

I knew "cuddy" and "sonsy" from Scots dialect; and the Texan "tow sack."

Counterpin reminds me of counterpane which is not a word I've ever used but is one I've read.

Likewise, I've read of Ear screws. (It's not on the list, but I've also heard of ear bobs.  Perhaps that's more common.)

I've heard of Leader, Pot cheese, and To bag school.

Interesting. 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I recognize a few of these words.  How about you?

Electric Literature reported on a campaign launched to help preserve a strange, yet wildly entertaining list of “endangered†regional American words and phrases. 

I can't say I recognize any of them, except - 

Those words...

I knew whistle pig. I've heard dragonflies called darning needles not sewing needles. The phrase tow sack brought a certain pick up truck fad to mind. Thank goodness it seems to have passed quickly.

We always called dragonflies darning needles. I never heard them called sewing needles.

• Like 7

A currently free Kindle book ~

The Guildmaster Thief  by Jake Kerr

"It all starts with a mischievous boy throwing a ripe tomato at a city guard

None of the guildmasters of the powerful city-state of Ness think twice when they are given the opportunity to creatively humiliate Ralan Miller, the younger brother of a fellow guildmaster and an all-around public nuisance. Yet that fateful decision changes everything and launches an epic story that includes sarcastic rogues, heroes with hidden pasts, shady assassins, cruel guildmasters, and a litany of other interesting characters. Behind it all is the fascinating world of Ness, which is slowly seen to be teetering on the edge of invasion and civil war. Full of political intrigue, a secret past, and layers that are revealed bit by tantalizing bit, The Guildmaster Thief is a tour de force of worldbuilding, storytelling, and colorful characters.

The first book in an epic fantasy series by Nebula-nominated author Jake Kerr, The Guildmaster Thief is the story of Ralan, a street rat who rises to become the guildmaster of Ness' underworld."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Speaking of banned books.... Angel, if you're out there -- are we still doing a banned books read along this year???  :D

I'm here just still struggling to find my groove after all the craziness of the summer.  I really WANT to do a banned book read long but have to sheepishly admit to not being able to handle anything heavy right now.  For example, our IRL book club was supposed to choose a banned book to read this month.  I chose A Wrinkle in Time because I felt I couldn't handle anything heavier (and didn't want to read Harry Potter again).  And even worse, I didn't even finish it before book club yesterday.   :o  :blushing:  in fact I'm only on chapter 2.  I hate to break tradition, though, so if you have any suggestions...

• Like 10

This looks splendid.  Then I looked at the page count and winced slightly because I tend to prefer my books light enough to carry without a forklift.  I'm going to give it a try though.  How would you rate it on a scale of *Wowza!  That's a spicy scene!* to *Amy and Angel might blush slightly and giggle but won't be offended* to *Not even my Aunt Gertrude would find anything risque in this book*? 

:lol:  you are awesome!  I've missed being around regularly!

I've passed the 52 mark for the year!!  :party:

Yeah!!

• Like 7

Earlier today I finished Radiator Days by Lucy Knisley which I enjoyed.  It was different from the other books of hers that I've read in that this was a collection rather than one continuous story.  (There were a few R rated pages.)

On the author's site the book has this description: "A collection of Lucy's early comics. This book is populated with experiments, assignments, and style attempts in a collection of short pieces that range from the charming to the obscene. Enjoy her later work? Take a glimpse through some of the foundations that established Lucy's drawing and writing style in this collection of her student works."

And it's true that I could see pieces that she later developed into more complete works.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I'm here just still struggling to find my groove after all the craziness of the summer.  I really WANT to do a banned book read long but have to sheepishly admit to not being able to handle anything heavy right now.  For example, our IRL book club was supposed to choose a banned book to read this month.  I chose A Wrinkle in Time because I felt I couldn't handle anything heavier (and didn't want to read Harry Potter again).  And even worse, I didn't even finish it before book club yesterday.   :o  :blushing:  in fact I'm only on chapter 2.  I hate to break tradition, though, so if you have any suggestions...

Well, I feel your pain.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  I am way off in my reading speed & life in general this year. Most days I feel like I'm operating on about two brain cells (if I'm lucky).

However, I've had so much fun doing banned books with you. It has really been one of the highlights of the past couple years of my reading! :grouphug:

A couple of the most challenged books of 2015 are kids picture books:

I Am Jazz, by Jessica Herthel and Jazz Jennings

Reasons: Inaccurate, homosexuality, sex education, religious viewpoint, and unsuited for age group.

Nasreen’s Secret School: A True Story from Afghanistan, by Jeanette Winter

Reasons: Religious viewpoint, unsuited to age group, and violence.

In honor of me having only two working brain cells at this point, what do you think about reading two kids' picture books this year w/ the plan to do something meatier at another time (maybe after the new year) or definitely for next year?

(Feeling a little bit :blushing: and also :D.  :leaving: )

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 9

#88: Just Add Magic by Cindy Callaghan.  I read this one to my little boys.  We all enjoyed it.  We watched the Amazon series based on the book a few months ago.  It diverges from the book quite a bit and we decided both the book and the series are cute in their own ways.  It's about 3 girls who find a secret recipe book with recipes that can do magic things, but when you use one there is always a consequence to re-balance the universe.  The only problem I had was the extreme number of times the book had Hannah said, "..." or Darby said, "...", or I said, "...".  They almost never spoke in a ways other than "said" and that said always seemed to come before the words that were spoken.  It made it a little awkward and tiresome to read.

• Like 5

What happens when your nose meets with the very hard head of a very excited, pay attention to me, neighbor's Labrador whom John calls dufus. Ow!!!!!!! I was bending down and he decided to come up. We all heard quite a loud crack. Fortunately no broken bones, just very bruised cartilage and a slightly lopsided lean. ENT Doctor says if it hasn't righted itself in 6 months, since it seems it takes cartilage some time to heal, then can go in and repair. So, how was your day?

Ouch! Hope your nose heals well!

DAYS WITHOUT A DOG INJURY = 0

Family got a big laugh out of that!  Especially after I explained  :laugh:

Well, I feel your pain.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  I am way off in my reading speed & life in general this year. Most days I feel like I'm operating on about two brain cells (if I'm lucky).

However, I've had so much fun doing banned books with you. It has really been one of the highlights of the past couple years of my reading! :grouphug:

A couple of the most challenged books of 2015 are kids picture books:

In honor of me having only two working brain cells at this point, what do you think about reading two kids' picture books this year w/ the plan to do something meatier at another time (maybe after the new year) or definitely for next year?

(Feeling a little bit :blushing: and also :D.  :leaving: )

Two brain cells...I like that.  It's exactly how I feel  :glare:   I am not interested in the first book but I put a hold at the library for Nasreen's Secret School.  Do you have another suggestion?  Or we could do Jeannette Winter's other book The Librarian of Basra.  Or you could read A Wrinkle in Time with me since I'm not far into it.  And yes we will do something meatier later...maybe when we have 3 or even 4 brain cells :tongue_smilie:

• Like 3

I'm too lazy to look up which books I posted last (that would require more than 2 brain cells).  So here are the last few books I've read.

*30.  Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen (classic - reread - audio - England - 19th century)

*31.  Meg by Steve Alten (reread - Pacific Ocean & USA  - 20th century)

*32.  The Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling (fantasy - England)

*33.  Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by The Countess of Carnarvon (non-fiction - England & Egypt - 19th & 20th centuries)

*34.  Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen (classic - reread - audio - England - 19th century)

*35.  The Mystery of History Volume 4 by Linda Lacour Hobar (non-fiction - 18th, 19th, 20th,  21st century)

*36.  The 6th Extinction by James Rollins (USA, Brazil, Antarctica - 21st century)

*37.  Women's Ministry in the Local Church by J. Ligon Duncan and Susan Hunt (non-fiction)

Let me just say that I just LOVED The 6th Extinction!  Hopefully, I didn't ruin anything by reading these out of order.  In fact, my library didn't have the 1st one today so I just picked up the 4th one.  I can read them out of order right?  I think Robin recommended these ... maybe?  

• Like 5

I recently finished As You Wish (Shatterproof Bond Book 1)  by Isobel Starling which I read for a new to me author challenge on a site which features gay romances.  (Significant adult content.)

This was an enjoyable book about two men who are co-best men for their siblings' wedding. The men have enjoyed getting to know each other through a year's worth of emails (these weren't shared which is a pity as I love a good epistolary novel); however, they first encounter each other in the airport en route to the wedding when they are both rushing to catch the plane. Neither gives the other a favorable impression, and one character left me feeling underwhelmed, too.

One of the men is out while the other is straight (or is he?). The wedding festivities are at a castle where the men are housed in conveniently adjacent rooms. Both men are fans of the Princess Bride and quotes abound (also note the title). Kilts are worn and abandoned. One character leaves abruptly and pining ensues. There is a reunion and a revelation. And now I have book two to look forward to.

This book is currently free to Kindle readers.

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 3

#89: Michael Vey 6: Fall of Hades by Richard Paul Evans.  I may have really freaked out my kids when I finished it from the screaming.  It was so good.  So, so good.  But the ending was painful.  And now we have to wait a year for the final book.

I ordered this yesterday!  The family can't wait to read it!

• Like 5

I'm too lazy to look up which books I posted last (that would require more than 2 brain cells).  So here are the last few books I've read.

*30.  Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen (classic - reread - audio - England - 19th century)

*31.  Meg by Steve Alten (reread - Pacific Ocean & USA  - 20th century)

*32.  The Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling (fantasy - England)

*33.  Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by The Countess of Carnarvon (non-fiction - England & Egypt - 19th & 20th centuries)

*34.  Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen (classic - reread - audio - England - 19th century)

*35.  The Mystery of History Volume 4 by Linda Lacour Hobar (non-fiction - 18th, 19th, 20th,  21st century)

*36.  The 6th Extinction by James Rollins (USA, Brazil, Antarctica - 21st century)

*37.  Women's Ministry in the Local Church by J. Ligon Duncan and Susan Hunt (non-fiction)

Let me just say that I just LOVED The 6th Extinction!  Hopefully, I didn't ruin anything by reading these out of order.  In fact, my library didn't have the 1st one today so I just picked up the 4th one.  I can read them out of order right?  I think Robin recommended these ... maybe?  

Yes, I recommended James Rollins and happy you enjoyed his writing.  I've read the sigma series out of order. They work quite well as stand alone and no harm in bouncing around. 

Congratulations Jenn on passing the 52 books mark and yeah for Rose finished Voyage of the Beagle.  Kudos! 

Hugs Stacia!

Welcome to our book party, Zock.  

My black eye is finally fading, but still feel like I have perpetually filled sinuses with an achy face. Was just telling hubby tonight that having a hurt nose makes you quite cognizant of the location of said nose when opening doors and cabinets, leaning over, etc.  

:laugh:

• Like 7

Regards,

Kareni

Notice how the majority of the words are from east coast states.  I'm a west coaster and haven't heard of any of them.

• Like 5

Regarding

Notice how the majority of the words are from east coast states.  I'm a west coaster and haven't heard of any of them.

I wonder if that's because the west coast is younger than the east coast.  Perhaps if we give it another hundred years or so ....

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

What did you think of Lampedusa? I've had that on my To Read shelf for ages.

To be honest, it was not my cup of tea - a little extreme and over the top.  I am not the the one to take advice from for adult fiction.  I prefer the classics (adult/children) or nonfiction.  I only picked it because of the mini challenge.  Had it not been for the historical aspect I probably would have stopped reading it.  I only had it in the first place because I bought the original in Sicily based on a bookstore employee's recommendation for THE book to read.  I assumed one day I would be able to read the Sicilian dialect.  I never learned the dialect so I opted for the English translation where it then sat on my shelf collecting dust....until last week. :)

Edited by Kathleen.
  • Like 3

To be honest, it was not my cup of tea - a little extreme and over the top. I am not the the one to take advice from for adult fiction. I prefer the classics (adult/children) or nonfiction. I only picked it because of the mini challenge. Had it not been for the historical aspect I probably would have stopped reading it. I only had it in the first place because I bought the original in Sicily based on a bookstore employee's recommendation for THE book to read. I assumed one day I would be able to read the Sicilian dialect. I never learned the dialect so I opted for the English translation where it then sat on my shelf collecting dust....until last week. :)

Interesting. I keep hearing that it's the greatest Italian novel ever written, too. Sounds like I shouldn't get my hopes up.

• Like 4

I read The Leopard with my book group a few years ago. I gave it 3 stars on goodreads, but I don't remember in any detail what I thought of it. I think it was one of those books that I probably wouldn't have finished if I hadn't been reading it with a group. But I don't regret having read it - it covered a period and a region I knew very little about. My dh's father's family is from Sicily so I felt a small connection to my dd's history which added some interest.

• Like 7