Menu

Help! What is your 13-year-old doing for school?

Alicia64

Give or take, my 13-year-old boys have been relatively easy(ish) to homeschool. Of course I've had terrible days, but overall, it's been fine. Many days are downright joyful.

Now they're 13.5 yrs. and one is turning into a werewolf, uh, I mean a full-on teenager. I get fairly polite, but firm push-back. His Dad is cool. I'm not. He doesn't roll his eyes, but he's clearly doing it internally.

Dh handles math w/ the boys which is no problem (thank goodness).

In the morning, the boys do their math, a bit of spelling -- and get As to A-pluses on Friday quizzes.

They do a bit of grammar every day in a great workbook.

Boy B is committed to Duolingo for Spanish, while Boy A is hit and miss on Duolingo. I haven't been able to find a good Spanish workbook. (Boy B is on his fourth year taking piano and practices daily. He also takes theater and loves it. He's extroverted and probably doesn't get enough people-time.)

I had them practicing five paragraph essays and they got two eeked out, but it was such a battle over the week's time that I went to "tiny writings" where I give them a writing prompt and they give me back a couple of sentences or a paragraph. When they write they can be incredibly funny and creative, but they don't seem to want to write. Ever.

Plus -- I signed them up for a fairly rigorous homeschool writing class -- w/ a nice teacher -- that starts next week and goes all year. I had to accept the fact that I can't seem to teach writing.

I read SOTW aloud to them and we discuss almost daily. I also order books on the particular topic all the time. As a team, we're doing fine in history.

I also require that they have a regular independent book going all the time. Hard b/c they can finish a book in a day, two if I'm lucky.

Boy A takes a physics class that he loves.

I honestly thought they'd learned to type, but watching them the other day I realized that they're often looking at their fingers. :mellow: I hadn't realized. We'd used Typers Island and I thought typing was handled.

What am I missing?jj I feel like the boys are just checking boxes and aren't into homeschooling anymore.

Any suggestions? I'm all ears!

Alley

How about an Intro to Logic class through MP or something similar if they haven't taken that yet?  They can go through it mostly on their own and hone those teenage arguments. :) 

So, Boy A does math, spelling, grammar, writing (out-sourced), physics, free reading, and SOTW history with you. You'd like him to type better and find a good Spanish program for him.

Boy B does math, spelling, grammar, writing (out-sourced), piano, Duolingo Spanish, SOTW history, theater, and free reading. You'd like him to type better and ?

One of the boys might be turning into a werewolf.

Looks like Boy B has lots on his plate. (No science?)

Boy A looks like he has more free time. (I'm just guessing, but is he your pushback kid?)

I'd personally step the history up a notch- seeing if they can research some topics you are studying to tell Dad (since he's the cool one) about at dinner. I wouldn't require extra writing and your boys seem like strong readers, so just set your expectations and let them know Dad is the one who will be receiving their interesting tidbits and stories.

And I would make sure that both boys have a physical outlet (running, lifting weights, hauling logs from one side of the lawn to another, something!). Daily, if possible.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 5

I noticed what RootAnn did: no science for one and something missing from History (for me anyway. I want some type of output.)

My 13yr old last year was working two high school level classes, but here was hers:

math, finished 8th grade Rod and Staff and started Algebra I.

Latin I (high school credit) worked through about half of Fourth Form/Henle I, additional study of culture and mythology using various materials with a study group, took National Latin Exams, saw Shakespeare's Julius Caesar play

English: Rod and STaff grammar gr. 7, a co-op class on speech and debate with lots of writing, R&S spelling 8, Literature from Modern Time period, about 9 novels, plus 1 Shakespeare play read, and attended one Shakespeare play, and worked about halfway through WWS

Biology I through co-op with labs and tests

History: Heavy History year. At home our focus was on American History, but co-op had a focus on State History. So I combined them. Had this been a high school year I would have given a full credit and a half at least for what we did. Other years in our homeschool we do a lot of history, but never as much as this. We read a ton of history books from the library, used a Jackdaws Portfolio for the American Revolution, read from SOTW4 and the KHE, kept timeline books, outlined weekly from KHE, wrote one to two a month summaries from extra research on their own, did mapwork in the Geography Coloring Book, created maps for their individual posters and presentations, went on several big field trips as a family,  did one a month with co-op on state history, did one out of state to ancient ruins as our family vacation, did two big projects/presentations at co-op, entered (and won first place in the state!) a history/art/essay contest on a historical topic, and created a state history scrapbook that we are going to keep ongoing through high school.  LIke I said= crazy lots of history. That much is not typical for us.  I just wasn't willing to give up our American History year at home, and I didn't want them to miss out on the State history at co-op.

Art/dance/Scouts/PE: all extra curriculars, mostly outsourced, but we do lots of work at home on art and for scouting projects.

I've found after talking to several other IRL friends about this that it's a pretty common experience to have your 13-14 yo seem to be a bit at loose ends for a while. They're still working on solidifying their skills, but aren't quite ready either academically (or emotionally!!!! lol) for high school level work. They just seem to have a lot of time to goof off ... one of my friends even had her husband thinking they should put their DS in public school because he just thought "he should be more busy."

But I've really found that if I can resist the urge to add more to their day just so that they seem to be "doing more" then they really have the opportunity to find their niche, their passion. For one DS it was computer programming, for the other it was filmmaking, and they both have been able to amass quite an impressive range of skills and knowledge simply because they've had more free time to pursue it. And now that they're in high school, they are ready for a more rigorous academic schedule.

Just my 2 cents! :)

• Like 2

What do they like?

Try some project based homeschooling around their interests. If nothing, encourage them to find something!

Extracurriculars? Hobbies? We found those as important as book work, if not more so!

Physical activities? Hands on projects? Watching documentaries, making documentaries?

Big kid style Field trips (places elem kids would not get anything out of) & out of the house activities for older kids are important too, mentors in fields they are interested in, outside classes in areas like art, photography, music, theater, robotics, 4 H, scouts, sports?

Other than Science, I would not necessarily add more "school book work" but I'd add extra interesting stuff to the week with some of the above ideas.

Have fun!

I think your list of subjects looks solid.

This year I am doing a "discussion" subject. For the first quarter, my son and I are reading an Uncle Eric book aloud, taking turns reading a paragraph aloud to compete one or two chapters per day. Then we discuss using a few questions from the study guide.

For second quarter we will read Hamlet aloud and watch The Classics Club DVD's to try to get some lit discussion going. At least I hope we survive that. LOL. Third quarter is another Uncle Eric book, and last is The Yeaing DVD's with discussion.

We are also reading aloud and discussing Thinking Toolbox together every other day.

The discussion part of our day feels like the "homeschooling" that I think you are referring to.

Edited by Mrs Twain
  • Like 1

What do they like?

Try some project based homeschooling around their interests. If nothing, encourage them to find something!

Extracurriculars? Hobbies? We found those as important as book work, if not more so!

Physical activities? Hands on projects? Watching documentaries, making documentaries?

Big kid style Field trips (places elem kids would not get anything out of) & out of the house activities for older kids are important too, mentors in fields they are interested in, outside classes in areas like art, photography, music, theater, robotics, 4 H, scouts, sports?

Other than Science, I would not necessarily add more "school book work" but I'd add extra interesting stuff to the week with some of the above ideas.

Have fun!

You said it perfectly -- this is exactly what I'm struggling with. Son B loves practically everything: his piano, his theater class, anything new I propose.

Son A: All I get is push back and boredom and "that wasn't good." We moved to our new town 1.5 yrs. ago and, while we've had wins, we've had mores losses. And he's felt that big-time.

I tried to get him hooked up with a new guitar teacher here and two guys just bombed. I'd give one teacher a C -- and the other an F minus. (This, having found a phenomenal piano teacher for Son B -- so it's not like we're insanely picky or anything.)

That type of thing has happened too often (the guitar guys not working out) -- at least as far as Son A is concerned. He's not rolling with the difficulty w/ the move like the Son B has.

Big kid field trips? I'm not sure anymore what that would be. When we've hooked up w/ homeschool groups, there's usually 8, 9, and 10 year olds running around. Then both Boy A and Boy B are mad at me. :)

Alley

My dh describes a simliar situation when they moved towards the end of his middle school years. He was heavy into scouting, but never continued when they moved because the troop was different. Had he stayed where they were he has no doubt he would have stayed with it (in his mind. who knows?) So I think moving might be part of it. I hope you guys find some groups for your age level! Ours is essential to our homeschool sanity. My kids would revolt if we didn't have it.

Yes, by big kid field trips I mean typically not with homeschool groups unless your area has teen specific ones.

I'm thinking on your own places like :adult museums, historical re enactments, living history places, talks, theater, dance shows, concerts, lots of activities for the public at our local community college & 4 year college, trips, etc- this past year my kids went to a few big cities to art museums, history museums, Gettysburg, a week long bike trip, week long kayaking trips, camping, & well, my parents also took them to Europe ;)

If he does not have an extracurricular or hobby that he loves, keep trying!

In the meantime, maybe brainstorm some interesting electives he could take this year- computer programming, baking, local history, try a new sport...

Hand him a The Learning Company Great Courses catalogue & have him circle any sets that look interesting?

Edited by Hilltopmom

We're moving out of state in about 6 months, and I am worried that we will encounter some similar issues.  Moving is hard on everyone, but especially, teenagers.  Here's my daughter's line up when she was 13.  Maybe, you can find something helpful in there.  I wouldn't give up on a music teacher just yet.  There has to be someone out there for Boy A, and Boy B might need a little science.

English...  good books, vocabulary from classical roots, Analytical Grammar Season 3, IEW SWI-B

Math... AoPS Pre-Algebra

Science... Physical Science with GA Virtual School

HIstory... OUP The World in Ancient Times and The Medieval World plus a few good reads

German I... GA Virtual School

Band

Band is a homeschool coop and is the center of all 3 of my girls world's.  It meets every Friday, and we are there for about 2-3 hours.  I'm afraid they are going to have a really hard time giving that up next year for private lessons.

All my girls, also, participate in 4-H.  Have you tried that?  That would get them out of the house at least once a month with kids their age.  Maybe, they could make some friends there that led to other activities.  My oldest does archery, and her boyfriend (who also homeschools) does shotgun.

Can't tell you for sure what to do with your boys - it's very individual. But here's my 13.5 yr old's load:

Writing - LToW

Grammar - mix of Killgallon/Chortling Bard/ML

Literature - LLftLotR

Math -AOPS geometry

Science - D.O. Physical Science

Intro to Logic by Nance

World Cultural Geography - mom-designed

Art (at the middle school)

Tutor (she tutors peers with LDs, at the middle school)

Horseback lessons

For her this is a lot. She has a language-based processing LD herself, and ADD so work goes slowly.

I think your list of subjects looks solid.

This year I am doing a "discussion" subject. For the first quarter, my son and I are reading an Uncle Eric book aloud, taking turns reading a paragraph aloud to compete one or two chapters per day. Then we discuss using a few questions from the study guide.

For second quarter we will read Hamlet aloud and watch The Classics Club DVD's to try to get some lit discussion going. At least I hope we survive that. LOL. Third quarter is another Uncle Eric book, and last is The Yeaing DVD's with discussion.

We are also reading aloud and discussing Thinking Toolbox together every other day.

The discussion part of our day feels like the "homeschooling" that I think you are referring to.

we are having a discussion part of every day too. Heck, I don't think the boys have been fighting as much during this time either. I am adding in Fallacy Detective next week.

My almost 13yo...

-Build Your Library's grade 8 history of science (history, some science, literature, geography, minimal writing)

-Lost Tools of Writing

-alg 1

-high school biology (he is a STEM kid through and through)

-Spanish

-light grammar review

He doesn't study spelling anymore, but he will work on vocab through the books he's reading in other subjects.

This DS will get started on his own in the mornings and steadily knuckles down and gets the work done. Strong, silent type. My older DS at this age was a serious handful though. What helped with that boy was very clear expectations, a detailed schedule he could run on his own (with me never very far away), relentlessly withholding of fun extras until he had done what was expected, and rewards in his currency when he really put it extra effort (for him). He took a LOT longer and much more lather, rinse, repeat to learn work ethic.

My almost 13yo...

-Build Your Library's grade 8 history of science (history, some science, literature, geography, minimal writing)

-Lost Tools of Writing

-alg 1

-high school biology (he is a STEM kid through and through)

-Spanish

-light grammar review

He doesn't study spelling anymore, but he will work on vocab through the books he's reading in other subjects.

This DS will get started on his own in the mornings and steadily knuckles down and gets the work done. Strong, silent type. My older DS at this age was a serious handful though. What helped with that boy was very clear expectations, a detailed schedule he could run on his own (with me never very far away), relentlessly withholding of fun extras until he had done what was expected, and rewards in his currency when he really put it extra effort (for him). He took a LOT longer and much more lather, rinse, repeat to learn work ethic.

Haha! Thank you so much. Question: what curriculum are you using for Spanish. Son B loves Duolingo, but I can't seem to find a good workbook to pair w/ it.

Lost Tools of Writing looks interesting.

Everyone: Thank you for responding! I'm taking notes!!

Alley

DS/8th uses Spanish for Children from Classical Academic Press alongside daily Duolingo. We use SFC casually, roughly one workbook page a day, discussing it as needed. This has been a very effective route with my girls who are further ahead than this DS, and it's painless to implement.