Menu

Sports question-Answered-Thank you!

trulycrabby

Can I hug you all? We were homeschoolers up until three weeks ago, and I am trying to wrap my head around this idea that non-crazy people get up at 4:00 am to run before a seven-hour school day. :zombie:

Hockey families here do that sort of thing all the time.  But I've never understood being willing to do it.

• Like 2

Swim family here. 5:30 am practice with a 25 minute drive. We have done this for so long it seems normal. 1 morning practice at 12, add one per year ( my 14 yo freshman will do 3 perGood week). My recently graduated girl did 5 mornings a week her jr and senior year.

You get used to it. One day a week is not too much to stay connected to the team.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

:hug:

First of all, wishing for a speedy recovery to your DS. Being on the injured list can be a bummer. Hopefully he can get back to running again eventually. I used to get up before sunrise to run because it's peaceful for me but I'm an adult...not a growing and injured pre-teen who needs even more sleep.

DD does figure skating recreationally. At our rink, it is common for young kids (one is as young as 6yo!) to train starting at 5am. Many of the kids do early morning session, run off to school, and then return in the afternoon/evening for more training/practice. One of our friends (11yo) wakes up at 4:30am because her commute is 2 hours to the rink BUT she is homeschooled so they are able to arrange their own schedule and she goes to bed very early. This is just accepted at their competitive level to get up while it is still dark to train before school. Some kids can handle waking up this early and some can not (we belong to the latter haha). Many of the kids attend private school and we were trying to figure out how they managed private school workload (it tends to be heavier than public) with intensive training that could affect sleeping schedules.

Is the coach trying to include your DS as part of the team by timing the 5:30am practices? Couldn't he time for the meets instead or later practices? I'm not a fan of disrupting sleep cycles to train. In this case, your DS isn't even training. Would this affect your decision of letting DS join XC in the future since you now know that practices are that early?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

DS has never run XC before, so right now he does not even know if he enjoys it or not.

I think coach is probably just trying to be helpful. Perhaps he is trying to weed us out, but I am beginning to want to be weeded out, frankly.

Yes, the early practices may affect my decision to let him participate in the future as he does not function well without sleep.

• Like 1

I'm guessing the coach is trying to include your son so he can still attend practices, meets, parties, and banquets. This can make your son feel like part of the team, allow him to bond with his teammates and keep him in the loop with all of the non-physical learning that happens at a team practice. It's a kind gesture, and responsible coaching, but you might want to tell the coach "no thank you" and officially withdraw him from the team.

• Like 4

Not only would mine not be going just to basically help out, he would not be on a 5:30am team ever!  

I like my sleep.  But more importantly, he needs his sleep!  Schools here are looking to push back the HS start time to 8:30 to help teens get more sleep.  This year it is pushed back to 8 and they hope to push it to 8:30 next year.  

Making them show up at 5:30 for somthing that is supposed to be fun says to me you think some sport is way too important in the grand scheme off thing (like education and health) than any sport really is. 

No way! 

• Like 2

My 9 year old son is also injured (pulled quad) and has to go to physical therapy. His soccer coach keeps encouraging him to go to practice because maybe he could do some of the drills or watch the set plays. I refuse to take him because he is going to physical therapy twice a week AND we have to stretch him out everyday. I also know he will be tempted and/or pressured by teammates to play. And truth be told, I am enjoying the time off. We had a relaxing Labor Day weekend instead of attending 4 soccer games his team played in this weekend.

I would tell the cross country coach you need to stretch him in the mornings and he might be tempted to run in the cold, which would probably further hurt his tendon. Also because he is still attending physical therapy he is going to bed later so needs to sleep more. You need sleep to heal.

• Like 1

I would welcome early practices.

I have three that play soccer...the latest practice is 6:30 to 7:30 at night twice a week.  For our family, that has us getting the kids in bed around 9, which is way.too.late for us.  But my kids love it, and they get a lot out of it, so we continue.  But it is very wearing on the family, and by the end of the season, I'm definitely ready for a break.  

Five am?  We could manage that a lot easier.  Not an option, of course.  Isn't that way it always works?   ;)