Menu

Throat irritated by stuck pills

Night Elf

Dd dry swallowed a pill and hurt her throat. What I read was potentially very, very scary, and she'll never dry swallow a tablet again, but we were pretty sure the pill had gone down and so we were just left with the pain. For her it was bad enough that she stuck to a liquid diet for a day or so and then a soft food diet for another 2-3 days. She may have taken some liquid ibuprofen, but I think it was mostly just soft food and time. There are circumstances where serious damage can be done, though, so do be sure that it is getting better or seek medical advice.

Thanks. I texted her a little while ago and she said the discomfort was greatly reduced so it looks like time is working. She's at college so she doesn't have easy access to something like Pepto. And she does take her medicine with water. She's not sure why the pills got stuck because she gulped water like she always does. At least she's feeling better.

Thanks. I texted her a little while ago and she said the discomfort was greatly reduced so it looks like time is working. She's at college so she doesn't have easy access to something like Pepto. And she does take her medicine with water. She's not sure why the pills got stuck because she gulped water like she always does. At least she's feeling better.

some  pills are just like that.   that was why I started following up by eating a prune (and drinking water) afterwards.  they're sticky, and will drag anything left in the throat down the esophagus with it.

I'm glad she's feeling better! Two things I read when I was investigating the damage 'stuck' tablets can do: drink additional water, not just one gulp with the tablets, and remain upright for 15 minutes, rather than lying down straight afterwards.

• 6 months later...

Hi, I hope I can still reach you on here. I recently have had that pill stuck in throat feeling. Was curious how long it took your dd to get over this feeling? I was so worried I went to the hospital and the X rays came back clear but I still have this feeling after almost 24 hrs. Hope to hear back from you!

Joe

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I'm glad she's feeling better...but for real, she has no access to Pepto? It's a pretty common thing for college kids to have in their first aid kit and if the school has a clinic they'll have some for sure.  They sell it in the campus convenience stores where our kids have attended. 

There are some meds that can burn the esophagus if they dissolve in the throat.  Doxycycline for acne is a common one.  It can take a few days to heal and the throat can burn quite a bit in the mean while.  Taking something to coat it can help, but it really just needs time to heal.  Maloxx is a common med used to coat the throat.

• Like 3

I've had the pill stuck in the throat before. Drinking lots of water did little for me, and I was afraid to eat anything. I could still breathe and cough, but it just was uncomfortable

My youngest googled and told me to take a drink of water (hold it in your mouth), lie down, and then swallow was supposed to help. I was doubtful but desperate. I tried it, and it worked. 

http://www.healthline.com/health/what-to-do-when-a-pill-is-stuck-in-your-throat

There are some meds that can burn the esophagus if they dissolve in the throat.  Doxycycline for acne is a common one.  It can take a few days to heal and the throat can burn quite a bit in the mean while.  Taking something to coat it can help, but it really just needs time to heal.  Maloxx is a common med used to coat the throat.

I have had this happen to me. Not as severe as some of the stories I read, but it was pretty awful for about 3-4 days. I pretty much couldn't eat and and to force liquids down. I am militant about sitting up for the recommended amount of time on any prescription label now!

ETA: Just noticed this zombie thread. Sorry!

Edited by UncleEJ
  • Like 1

Yes, very old thread. I'd love to know why this particular thread was resurrected by someone named Joe? Could he have googled for the problem and it led him here? To create an account just to ask about this problem? Or just to be weird? There seem to be so many other interesting topics we've discussed. :)

• Like 1

Yes, very old thread. I'd love to know why this particular thread was resurrected by someone named Joe? Could he have googled for the problem and it led him here? To create an account just to ask about this problem? Or just to be weird? There seem to be so many other interesting topics we've discussed. :)

So, inquiring minds want to know - has your DD gotten over her pill stuck in the throat last September? 😄