Menu

Experienced Republic Wireless users.....should I switch?

Okra

Do you use a lot of data? I love it because I don't use a lot of data. Pretty much the only time I use it is if i need GPS and dh isn't with me, he's got unlimited data on his work phone.

So I usually end up paying just under $12 a month for unlimited talk and text.

I've been on Republic Wireless since late 2014, and so has my oldest son.  We've been very happy.  Ds15 turns 16 in September, and he'll be getting a phone from Republic for his birthday.  

I should say we've only ever had Tracfone other than Republic, so it might be we're missing something that we don't even know we're missing.  But for the cost, I'll keep missing it if I am.

I love it! Posting right now from Wegmans on the free wi-fi, so data while I'm out and about isn't an issue. We have the refund plan, so I pay about$12/month, too. My husband pays even less because he doesn't use any data, but had the option if he wants. Our daughter has the $10/month plan with no data.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

I've been happy for two years. My oldest has been happy since we got her a Republic Wireless phone too.

We don't use a lot of data, so the $17.50/month plan works well for us. 

When we went on vacation, and I thought we'd use a lot more data since we would be using the phone GPS, I upped our plans to more data.  But, you know, five days of pretty heavy GPS usage didn't use more data than 0.5 data limit for the lowest plan. But it was nice that I could switch!

I'd check their coverage map to make sure you have good coverage in your area.

My husband has had it since November last year.  We got it because there is no cell phone reception in his work building for any provider.  (Big metal manufacturing building).  So he needed something that would switch to WIFI when at work. His boss recommended Project FI but that phone was too pricey for us. So this was a nice compromise.

I had planned to switch as well but then heard about Ring+ (I didn't need the wifi calling), with minutes, text and data for free every month.  I bought one Sprint phone and managed to get a 3500 plan for a one time fee of $35.  I took it on a trip and tried it out in 4 different states.  Reception wasn't as good as the verizon lines I had been on but it was livable and for the price I sure wasn't complaining.  I gave that one to DS and bought another phone for myself and managed to get a plan with 4750 of everything for a one time fee of $38.  THey keep changing the plans multiple times a week but it's been a very good deal for us.

We had this plan for 2-3 years and have recently stopped. I think it had less to do with Republic and a lot more to do with the secondary carrier Sprint. We have had trouble getting coverage with Sprint and had trouble with especially text messages not going through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have three Moto G phones with Republic: two for the kids (each on the $10 plan, with unlimited calls & text but data is wifi only) and one as a "house phone" which is on a $5/mo wifi-only plan (not sure if they still offer that plan). We've had them for 2+ years, with no complaints. They are CDMA phones that use the Sprint network, although all the new phones that Republic offers are GSM phones that will use the T-Mobile network.

The main reason I don't use Republic myself is because I have an iPhone, so I use Ting (which also partners with both Sprint & T-Mobile). I use very little data, so my usual monthly bill runs around $17-18. One reason I went with Ting is that I can use it in Europe just by clicking a button in the settings menu (no swapping SIM cards or having to use 3rd-party VOIP providers). But if I didn't need that feature and I had an android phone, I would definitely have gone with Republic.

I have followed RW for several years although not made the switch, mainly because my phone number, for whatever reason, will not transfer over. (It is weird, because it's followed me through at least three carriers over the past 9 years.)

What I recall from RW is that you can buy one of their phones, which comes with a 30 day guarantee. Based on what I read on their website, they suggested getting a phone and trying it, then if you like it, have your number switched over. You'd have to keep your old phone for an extra month, but it gives you the opportunity to be sure that RW is right for you, using their new phone and a number of theirs before making a longer term commitment.

Just an option to consider . . .

When WiFi is available, an alternative to using cell phone minutes or messages, is to use WhatsApp. The downside is that one can only use it to call/message other WhatsApp users.  I tried WhatsApp this morning, on my Samsung Android phone, to call to see if the man who sells us dog and cat food was there on Sunday. Later, I told my wife, "the call quality was remarkably good".  Very solid and crystal clear.   https://www.whatsapp.com/

Also, one can install the magicJack App and call regular phone numbers free. We have a magicJack, so I can use that number on the magicApp,      but if one doesn't have a magicJack, I think if you pay $10 a year or so, they give you a regular phone number that can receive calls. If one doesn't pay for that number, then the callers need to call a phone number and then punch in the code for that user. magicJack suggests using magicApp only on WiFi, because it would use a ton of Data.  

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magicjack

OP if you go with Republic Wireless and you don't like it, hopefully, their special phones will work on the network of another provider.  I hope you like it.