Menu

Visually, which bedding goes better together?

idnib

I don't have an eye for design and I'm trying to mix stripes.

I own a set of charcoal gray flannel sheets with white pinstripes. This is the duvet cover of the sheet set I have. I bought the sheets a long time ago so I can't find a picture, but they're the exact same as this duvet cover. All the parts of the set are the same and I want to break it up by mixing in another stripe. Another option is to mix in plain white, but I thought a stripe would be more interesting. I want to put 2 Euro shams behind the regular pillows and cover my duvet.

So here are the two I'm considering:

http://www.westelm.com/products/flannel-stripe-duvet-cover-shams-tuxedo-stripe-b1777/?cm_src=E%3Aduvet-covers 

(This is what I'm calling the "wide stripe" one. The gray color, not the blue. This one is flannel like the sheets.)

and

http://www.westelm.com/products/ticking-stripe-duvet-cover-shams-b1119/?cm_src=E%3Aduvet-covers

(The "ticking stripe" option. Reversible to graphite gray, but maybe not the same gray as the sheets. Not flannel.)

I wish I had an eye for these things! Any help appreciated.

Edited by idnib

I don't have an eye for design and I'm trying to mix stripes.

I own a set of charcoal gray flannel sheets with white pinstripes. This is the duvet cover of the sheet set I have. I bought the sheets a long time ago so I can't find a picture, but they're the exact same as this duvet cover. All the parts of the set are the same and I want to break it up by mixing in another stripe. Another option is to mix in plain white, but I thought a stripe would be more interesting. I want to put 2 Euro shams behind the regular pillows and cover my duvet.

So here are the two I'm considering:

http://www.westelm.com/products/flannel-stripe-duvet-cover-shams-tuxedo-stripe-b1777/?cm_src=E%3Aduvet-covers 

(This is what I'm calling the "wide stripe" one. The gray color, not the blue. This one is flannel like the sheets.)

and

http://www.westelm.com/products/ticking-stripe-duvet-cover-shams-b1119/?cm_src=E%3Aduvet-covers

(The "ticking stripe" option. Reversible to graphite gray, but maybe not the same gray as the sheets. Not flannel.)

I wish I had an eye for these things! Any help appreciated.

The "ticking stripe" option. :-)

• Like 3

Neither? Both of those are too similar. If you see the one with the horizontal stripe pillow, that's a mix that works okay. It's a different stripe pattern with different spacings, and it's oriented differently. I still don't prefer it, but it has a bit of a nautical feel with that pillow.

Do you have an inspiration photo you want to emulate?

• Like 3

Neither? Both of those are too similar. If you see the one with the horizontal stripe pillow, that's a mix that works okay. It's a different stripe pattern with different spacings, and it's oriented differently. I still don't prefer it, but it has a bit of a nautical feel with that pillow.

Do you have an inspiration photo you want to emulate?

"Neither" is also an option, absolutely.  :D

I don't have a photo but I'll look around some more. I didn't find anything I particularly liked when I looked earlier.

I see what you're saying about the horizontal stripe and it would be easy to rotate the pillow, and probably the duvet. The difference between the length and width of the mattress is 12 inches so the duvet might technically come up short if rotated horizontally, but we usually fold it quite a ways down. We could rotate it and fold it less, I suppose.

I wouldn't go for stripes. Another pattern would be fine, especially since your sheets have pinstripes that aren't as visually distracting. If you want a pattern, look for something that coordinates in color (doesn't have to be gray, but looks nice with gray, which is most colors) but contrasts in pattern. When you get too "matchy" with same patterns it can look jarring rather than coordinating.

There are several duvets on West Elm that I think might look good:

Belgian Flax Linen Ikat Stripe (not Ikat Stamped)--my favorite, very lovely but unfortunately so $$

Organic Stained Glass Floral

Organic Ikat Gem

Organic Linked Tile (either color option might work)--this one is already kind of busy-looking with its varied colors and patterns but if the rest of your room is fairly neutral it could work

ETA: Organic Striped Dots--this one might work well because the dots are connected vertically in the same direction as the stripes on your sheets. Yet because of the dot elements it's not too matchy. Not sure about colors though.

Edited by meena
  • Like 1

I ordered the PB floral one. I'm not usually much of a floral type but somehow I like this one a lot. DH will be surprised! (I think he'll like it too, or won't care much either way, but he will do a double-take that I chose a floral.

I was a bit bummed because the duvet cover will not be shipped until Sep 29 and I have houseguests coming around the 15th, but the shams and inserts will be here and I have the plain white uncovered duvet I can use in the meantime.

Thanks everyone! This was a huge help and I'm happy to get this done. My eyes will be happy to stop looking at mismatched stripes late at night.

• Like 2