Menu

I used to do lots of fun things....

BlsdMama

According to photo records, ds2 disappeared after he turned 1 and ds3 doesn't exist... I'm a baaaaad photo mum. In my defense, ds2 started running at 10 months and I've been haggard ever since!

According to photo records, my kids sleep. My wife was just showing me some pictures she took this morning of the kids asleep in the same bed, and then another one 5 minutes later where apparently they'd switched sides but were still asleep (they did wake up just a few minutes later). And we've got pictures of kids napping in all sorts of odd positions, like torso on a chair & feet almost but not quite touching the floor, etc. In reality, the kids rarely napped after about 20 months, and the pediatrician told us to drug* the oldest to sleep at night because he had such a hard time sleeping. But, they're so cute when asleep and so much easier to photograph while asleep, plus we're just happy that they're finally asleep when they're asleep.

*Benadryl, which didn't work, so then melatonin.

ETA: Wow, Kelly, those new pictures look really good!

Edited by luuknam

Beautiful pictures.

I have a small family with a wide age gap, so I just wanted to pipe up and let you know that some of it is just that WE change as we grow up. I can give the baby I had at 43 different things than what I could give the babies I had in my 20s.

Yes, there's a ton of guilt about treating them differently, but the little still says I'm the best mom in the world even when strangers ask how long before his funmom springs him from grandma.

eta wrt hair: my son has waist length cornrows. I have resolved never to talk to wypipo about hair day(s) because it is pointless and only causes frustration and an uncontrollable urge to do immature things like spelling "white people" as "wypipo", lol.

I feel your pain. Your daughters have beautiful hair and your love for them shows.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

They are super cute pics and I love the idea!

According to photo records, ds2 disappeared after he turned 1 and ds3 doesn't exist... I'm a baaaaad photo mum. In my defense, ds2 started running at 10 months and I've been haggard ever since!

Oh wait! We did some a couple of Christmases ago!

Here's a funny story:

Last Christmas my SIL arranged to have a photo taken of all the family on DH's side. Nearly everyone was present for Christmas, which meant 6 kids, one matriarch, 6 spouses, 17 of the 19 grandkids, plus two of their spouses and two great-grandkids. So, she had a neighbor come over and take photos off a balcony to get everyone in. Triumphantly, she posted them on FB that night, but people began commenting, "Where's Brett?" My SIL had failed to notice that her own child did not get the memo and was not in the pictures!

I photoshopped him in there for her. All was well. But she felt like Bad Mom of the Year. :D

• Like 4

I have a small family with a wide age gap, so I just wanted to pipe up and let you know that some of it is just that WE change as we grow up. I can give the baby I had at 43 different things than what I could give the babies I had in my 20s.

This.

There are some things I did with my kids in my 20s that I simply cannot fathom having the energy to do with my youngest. But there are also things I have the wisdom and patience to do now that I simply did not have within me to give when I was in my 20s. God knew all of that - knew exactly what I would have within me and when as I changed and grew over the years - and He knew exactly what each of them with their wonderfully unique personalities would need in a mom - and He gave them each to me at just exactly the right time. :001_wub:

• Like 2

Aww! Boys are awesome (I have a onesie for William that says it!) And the girls come - in the form of daughters in love and grand-daughters!!!!  But, I will admit I am a girl mom (never knew that about myself for a long, long while) and I do love it.

It took me until about the third boy to stop thinking of myself as a "girl mom with a couple of boys in tow too" and more of a "boy mom."  I do miss cute little dresses and braided hair, though, and I will not mind a bit if we finally get the much-hoped-for baby sister.

Tip for the combs and hairbrushes. This will seem weird bit it works.....buy hairbrushes and combs with a hole in the handle. Buy lightweight chain. Attach chain to the brush or comb and then attach the other end of the chain to the inside of a bathroom or kitchen drawer.

Make sure the chain is plenty long enough to use the brush or comb.

We have not lost our comb in 5 years. It is chained inside our bathroom drawer. Chain is long enough to easily reach to use comb on any children and to the sink to wash it but it stays put.

Posts like this are why I read this board.

PURE. GENIUS!

#thankyouthankyouthankyou

• Like 2

So - the update. :)

We waited 'til the sun was going down, gentle light, cooler temps. I had *much* happier and less squinty girlies. :)

There. I can check that off the list and begin school. :P :D

Wow. It really did take ALL day. Yep, I can see why you don't even attempt the first day of school on picture day. I think I take a First Field Trip photo in early September every other year or so :-/ It just dawned on me yesterday that I have two sophomores now. (One HS and one college) You'd think I would have noticed that last year when I had two freshman. I think I was too busy being annoyed about my third round of HS Biology.

• Like 1

I see you have a huge age range of kids. What is "fun" for some of your guys is probably going to be not fun for the older ones. And what your first couple kids loved at a young age is probably of no interest at all for yor now youngest because they want to do what the older kids are doing. You aren't teaching a new group of first graders every year, where you can just rotate through your "fun" activities and it will still be a good fit. It's perhaps less a young mom/old mom thing, and more an evolving group of people. You can't compare your situation now to what actually existed 10-15 years ago.

Edited by wintermom