Menu

Durable flooring options

mommymonster

I want to say wood but it's not really. I had this beautiful white oak installed and finished in my entire downstairs and it already has nicks and scratches etc because I want to use my floors not worry about them. My kitchen especially gets used to a ridiculous extent and the floor shows it (even though less than 3 yrs old). I just don't worry about it, but a new house we are moving into has that fake wood floor. DH is dismayed while I am thrilled not to have to worry about damaging wood floors. When we replace, it will be tile in the kitchen and distressed wood ;) elsewhere.

• Like 1

Ceramic tile or LVP. My gold tiles from the 70's still look great. Also, don't get a trendy color. Gold will look dated someday!!

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 2

DH just put tile in our new bath, with the expectation that it should last a long time.

I would not have said laminate, but ours is in a high traffic area and gets really heavy use. It is ten years old and largely still looks great. A few nicks here and there, but it doesn't look dingy or anything. I've been pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

Does tile get cold in winter? This would be for the Midwest, and some pretty harsh winters, no in-floor heating...

Yes. But so does my LVP on a cement foundation. Rugs!

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 1

I prefer hardwood. Our hardwood floors have scratches, but they don't bother me because they age with the house. (It probably depends on your style of house.)

We also have some tile floors which are fine, but the grout stains and they look ugly. I've cleaned and sealed the grout, but it still looks bad.

When we lived in Central America, everyone had tile.  That made so much sense to me.  Sooo easy to clean and keep up.  They had it in every room.

Not sure about how cold it would get in the winter though!  I suppose floor rugs would help with that.

Does tile get cold in winter? This would be for the Midwest, and some pretty harsh winters, no in-floor heating...

depends upon the type of tile.

I was touring a new house up the street - heat was on and at least 50 degrees outside.  the ceramic tile was really cold.  

I have quartzite tile in my kitchen (my dishwasher leaked and destroyed my hardwood), and it doesn't get that cold - and if the can lights are on- they actually heat it up.

porcelain tile is also warmer than ceramic - and it is stronger.