Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW33: Ray Bradbury and Zen in the art of Writing

Robin M

The timing of reading Founding Mothers at the beginning of the summer was perfect. Doing everything on my own sans dh for months is difficult. I keep chanting, "Remember Abigail, remember Abigail" to keep myself grounded when I start to feel overwhelmed. I don't know how she did it. She was amazing. Absolutely amazing. While I'm dealing with a sick cat, broken a/c, replacing car battery, broken lawn mower, and broken toilet I am not dealing with you know Redcoats invading my town and home.

I must try this channeling Abigail thing.

Re: Don Camillo: Putting in a plug for my favorite, Don Camillo and the Flower Children.

Stacia--that book looks perfect for dh for his upcoming birthday. Thanks!

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 11

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All my favorite abandoned books are by China Mieville.  .... they are wildly brilliant and original thought experiments, but I just can't bring myself to follow any of them to their conclusion.  Yet every time I hear about a new Mieville title I still want to try it!

Jenn, my husband and I finished listening to the final third of the book over a couple of days.  We both agreed that the storyline was complex but that we enjoyed it.  The setting of the book, The City and the City, was intriguing.  It consisted of cities from two different countries, parts of which overlapped in the same physical space.  Citizens of each country (and tourists) were trained to un-see people and places from the other country or they would be considered to be in breach of the law; they were also forbidden to engage with any person or item in the other city.  (Unless they got a visa and officially went there in which case they would have to un-see their own homeland.)  An organization called Breach would remove any individual who knowingly committed a breach.  The main character is a detective who is called upon to solve the crime of a murdered woman.  His case ultimately takes him to the other city.  One might describe this book as a detective story with a science fiction component. 

I wonder is this might be weird enough for you, Stacia.  Admittedly, there are no talking geckos ....

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

Hi my lovelies!  Crazy days around here along with prepping for 11th grade. 

Karen - Fry's Ode Less Traveled sounds quite interesting and adding it to my want list. Thank you for introducing me to Word Wenches. Enjoying their posts.

Jane - And he is critical of Putin which makes him of friend of mine.  Yep, James would agree! 

Loesje - I love the cover for This House is Haunted and makes me totally want to read it. Added to my wishlist!

Negin - James has been wanting to read Hunting Eichman.  Thanks for the 4 star review.

Hi Angel - Hugs and prayers for your FIL!

Crstarlette - Hey doll!  Thanks for the great recommendations on Essays! 

Mom-ninja: Yes, something we all need to have as our mantra. Sorry you are having to deal with so much while hubby is gone. Hugs!

Angela  - great to hear how good Abby is doing! 

fastweedpuller - Thanks for magazine recommendations.  Thinking about which ones want to subscribe too since cancelled WSJ due to inept delivery.  

M - totally jealous of your organized bookshelves.  We'll get around to it one of these years. Hubby's finally open to remodeling the house once we get done with the business remodel.  

Hi Amy - Goodreads changed their format?  Just looked and resembles a three column blog or google plus which I don't particular like either - too too busy! 

I finished Butcher's Aeronauts Windlass which I totally enjoyed and look forward to reading more of the series.  Thinking seriously of diving into Diana Gabaldan's Drums of Autumn.  Meanwhile checking about Anne Bellett.  

• Like 14

For those who have been reading Ta-Nehisi Coates' Between the World and Me, James Baldwin's The Fire Next Time, etc..., you may be interested in this new book of essays (which even fits Robin's theme this week), The Fire This Time by Jesmyn Ward.

From the NY Times:

Review: ‘The Fire This Time,’ Stoked by Baldwin’s Legacy

• Like 9

I just finished Ian McEwan's Atonement  which my book group will be discussing on Thursday.  It was an interesting read.  I trudged through Part 1 anticipating the comments I expect to hear on Thursday about the lyricism of the language while wishing for some action.  Parts 2 and 3 as well as the 1999 section were far more gripping.  I suspect the discussion about the book will be lively.

"The novel opens on a sweltering summer day in 1935 at the Tallis family’s mansion in the Surrey countryside. Thirteen-year-old Briony has written a play in honor of the visit of her adored older brother Leon; other guests include her three young cousins -- refugees from their parent’s marital breakup -- Leon’s friend Paul Marshall, the manufacturer of a chocolate bar called “Amo†that soldiers will be able to carry into war, and Robbie Turner, the son of the family charlady whose brilliantly successful college career has been funded by Mr. Tallis. Jack Tallis is absent from the gathering; he spends most of his time in London at the War Ministry and with his mistress. His wife Emily is a semi-invalid, nursing chronic migraine headaches. Their elder daughter Cecilia is also present; she has just graduated from Cambridge and is at home for the summer, restless and yearning for her life to really begin. Rehearsals for Briony’s play aren’t going well; her cousin Lola has stolen the starring role, the twin boys can’t speak the lines properly, and Briony suddenly realizes that her destiny is to be a novelist, not a dramatist.

In the midst of the long hot afternoon, Briony happens to be watching from a window when Cecilia strips off her clothes and plunges into the fountain on the lawn as Robbie looks on. Later that evening, Briony thinks she sees Robbie attacking Cecilia in the library, she reads a note meant for Cecilia, her cousin Lola is sexually assaulted, and she makes an accusation that she will repent for the rest of her life.

The next two parts of Atonement shift to the spring of 1940 as Hitler’s forces are sweeping across the Low Countries and into France. Robbie Turner, wounded, joins the disastrous British retreat to Dunkirk. Instead of going up to Cambridge to begin her studies, Briony has become a nurse in one of London’s military hospitals. The fourth and final section takes place in 1999, as Briony celebrates her 77th birthday with the completion of a book about the events of 1935 and 1940, a novel called Atonement."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

Hey guys! Waving hello from one of my favorite spots on earth, Orcas Island, WA.  We've spent the last few days on the lake, today dh went for a steep hike and the girls and I are hanging out at our house (awesome VRBO w/ a deck w/ ocean views) and . . .  looking at colleges!  Dd suddenly got really interested in thinking about this, so . . . okay! It's great to see her taking interest and ownership in her future, and getting really excited about it.

Reading:  I finished The Plover, which I loved.  I was happy to have read Simon Winchester's Pacific and The Sex Lives of Cannibals beforehand, because it gave me a lot of good background to the Pacific that made me appreciate the book even more.  I also read A Visit from the Goon Squad, which I really liked.  I'm reading O Pioneers, The Beak of the Finch, American Exodus and Little Bee.  I have lots of reading time as I mind the dog while the rest of the family are kayaking.

My top 5 books so far this year . . . in fiction!

The Plover

The Age of Innocence

Homegoing

No Country for Old Men

Sergio Y

and in nonfiction:

A Sand County Almanac

The New Jim Crow

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World

Men Explain Things to Me

The Invention of Nature

• Like 14

I just finished Following the Equator. It ended with a fun poem in which Mr. Twain used 66 Australian place names. It would rival Jabberwocky. Of the poem he says, "Perhaps a poet laureate could do better, but a poet laureate gets wages, and that is different. When I write poetry I do not get any wages; I often lose money by it."

More gems:

"Names are not always what they seem. The common welsh name Bzjxxllwcp is pronounced Jackson."

"The autocrat of Russia possesses more power than any other man in the earth; but he cannot stop a sneeze."

"There are many humorous things in the world; among them the white man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."

"Men ought to feel a sort of respect for their mothers and wives and sisters by this time. The women deserve a change of attitude like that, for they have wrought well. In forty-seven years they have swept an imposingly large number of unfair laws from the statute books of America. In that time these serfs have set themselves free--essentially. Men could not have done so much for themselves in that time without bloodshed-- at least they never have; and that is an argument that they didn't know how." (There is a lot more of a similar sentiment in the rest of this passage)

💕

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 13

Mumto2!  I think you will need to order a digital copy of the latest Piecework magazine.  It is another literary edition but this year the focus is the mystery.  Projects include knitting a cloche of the sort worn by 1920's female detectives.  Other projects include a Vera Stanhope inspired scarf and Nancy Drew's knitted knitting bag.  There are articles on projects and textiles in the new Jane Austen mystery series as well as classic Ngaio Marsh books. 

But it is not all mysteries!  This chock full issue also has an article on Jan Brett's wonderful picture book, The Mitten, with a pattern for mittens resembling those in the book.  (I must confess that I gave one of the grand nephews this book with hand knitted mittens a couple of years ago.)

Piecework is fun to read even if one does not wish to tackle the projects.

• Like 13

Hi everyone!  I feel it's too early in the year to come up with my Top 5.  Call me an eternal book optimist thinking that there's another, better book on the horizon?  

I agree! With 4-1/2 months left I hope to read some really good books before the end of the year. So far this year I've read 46 books. Out of those, these top the list -

Things Fall Apart

The Plover

Persepolis

Behind the Beautiful Forevers

Candide

Any or all of them could get knocked off the list if I revisit it at the end of the year or they could all end up staying. Also, Angela's Ashes should probably be there as well. I just can't do top any-number lists of books. No matter how big the number is there's always another book or three I want to add. :)

We haven't talked about the new format. Insert a blushing me. I thought I had done something accidentally and was considering asking you all how to fix it. I don't like it at all.....

I don't like it. I don't want a huge center list of what my friends are reading. And even though it allows you to somewhat filter it (top friends, all friends. book news, etc.) Goodreads still doesn't know whose reviews I prefer to see. 

Currently reading Gaskell's North and South, never having read any Gaskell before. And continuing to enjoy reading aloud Treasure Island. I might just read Kidnapped on my own after we finish, which I haven't yet read.

I've only read North and South and Wives and Daughters, but enjoyed both. I'm thinking of reading Cranford and some of the related novellas.

Also, I didn't quote your whole post, but I like the term Joss Whedony. :D

• Like 10

The Dear Author site has a nice review of the regency romance Parthena’s Promise by Valerie Holmes which is currently available for free to Kindle readers.  The Amazon link is here:  Parthena's Promise.

This post-Civil War romance, which is listed as inspirational, is also currently free.  It has over 1500 four and five star reviews on Amazon.

The Measure of Katie Calloway,: A Novel by Serena B. Miller

"The Civil War has ended, but in Katie Calloway's Georgia home conflict still rages. To protect herself and her young brother from her violent and unstable husband, she flees north, finding anonymity and sanctuary as the cook in a Northwoods lumber camp. The camp owner, Robert Foster, wonders if the lovely woman he's hired has the grit to survive the never-ending work and harsh conditions of a remote pine forest in winter. Katie wonders if she can keep her past a secret from a man she is slowly growing to love.

With grace and skill, Serena Miller brings to life a bygone era. From the ethereal, snowy forest and the warm cookstove to the rowdy shanty boys and the jagged edges of the saw, every detail is perfectly rendered, transporting the reader back to the time when pine was king, men were made of iron, and rivers were choked with logs on the way to the sawmills. Readers will have a hard time leaving the Northwoods when they turn the last page."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

And yet another currently free Kindle book.  This one has some critical praise:

"The author's craft and creativity (plus the glorious tarot card illustrations) are superb." BLUEINK REVIEW (June, 2016)

"A complex, engrossing archaeological thriller with a plot stretching over many eras." KIRKUS REVIEW (July, 2016)

"Constant Guests combines different elements of storytelling to deliver a literary treat that readers will find irresistible." READERS' FAVORITE (July, 2016)

"At first blush, Constant Guests seems like a historical thriller akin to The Da Vinci Code, but there is more here than meets the eye. The seemingly disparate plot lines provide hints and clues while building up an interesting mythology." FOREWORD CLARION REVIEWS (July 2016)

"Nedelea's debut novel provides ample mystery, history, and some romance for a fast-reading and enjoyable tale." THE US REVIEW OF BOOKS (July, 2016)

"Constant Guests is an imaginative ride effectively brimming with ideas, characters, and plotting." INDIE READER (August, 2016)

"Nedelea's debut is a unique tale with four stories-within-a-story taking place during four different time periods. The enchantingly twisty narrative constantly shifts between first- and third-person viewpoints." ROMANTIC TIMES REVIEWS (June, 2016)

Constant Guests by Patricia Nedelea

"How would you feel if you found out one day that your mother wasn't your mother and nobody had a clue who your father might be? This is what happens to Isa, a cynical party girl from Paris whose life is abruptly changed. When Mara, her real mother dies in front of her eyes without saying a word, Isa wants to find out what Mara was searching for in 1991, before she went into a coma. But Isa soon discovers that she is not the only one searching for answers, and that her life is in danger. What is the secret that people are prepared to kill for? As Isa is drawn into a dark labyrinth of mysteries, she uncovers four lost-and-found stories related to a tarot deck from 1389. Four stories have to be told, twenty-four tarot cards have to be united and one great secret has to be revealed. She was looking for her mother's secret. Instead, she found the world's greatest secret.

This book is a hybrid adventure novel, swinging across Europe between history, mystery and fantasy. Not only that, you will gain historical knowledge about tarot and see the first tarot deck ever: the book includes images of the twenty-four cards. It will leave you amazed at the possibilities it unfurls, intrigued by the history of the tarot and staggered at revelations you might develop a taste for."

Also currently free is a romantic suspense novel featuring two men ~ Death and Destruction  by Patricia Logan

"Forced to go into witness protection, ATF Special Agent Thayne Wolfe, is less than thrilled. The State’s Attorney needs him to testify against one of the most ruthless and notorious arms dealers in the world. Expecting boredom and lots of daytime television, he instead ends up with a ridiculous new job, a stupid new name, and the world’s most annoying shadow. Jarrett Evans, is nevertheless tasked with keeping Wolfe alive long enough to put Mills Lang and his crew away for the rest of their miserable lives.

Jarrett Evans, former Marine, has always been a free spirit, doing the dirty work for Uncle Sam whenever and wherever he’s needed. One of the best snipers in the world, Evans is at peace with the man he’s become. That doesn’t mean he’s ever liked the cold-blooded killer who stares back at him from the mirror every day. The moment he meets pretty boy Thayne Wolfe, things start a slow change and redemption begins to sound possible.

Mills Lang, the world’s most ruthless arms dealer, is little more than a serial killer in his own right. Rotting away in prison with nothing but time on his hands, Lang is determined to destroy the man he allowed into his inner circle. Thayne Wolfe will die in the most painful way… along with anyone he loves."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I followed this link today and wondered if any of you had seen it, especially Stacia... I put several books on my Goodreads To Read shelf!

Where are the Women in Translation? Here are 31 to read now. http://www.wordswithoutborders.org/dispatches/article/where-are-the-women-in-translation-here-are-31-to-read-now-liz-cettina

(I'm on my iPad on TapaTalk and have no idea how to do a proper link here!)

-Angela

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 8

I followed this link today and wondered if any of you had seen it, especially Stacia... I put several books on my Goodreads To Read shelf!

Where are the Women in Translation? Here are 31 to read now. http://www.wordswithoutborders.org/dispatches/article/where-are-the-women-in-translation-here-are-31-to-read-now-liz-cettina

Thank you! Funny thing is that I've had a few of those books from the library & ended up not getting around to them, but planned to get to them later. Thanks for the reminder! (I did try The Elegance of the Hedgehog when it first came out a few years ago & was such a sensation. I didn't finish it. Need I also mention that it's... French. :lol: )

Neat list. Thanks, Kareni!

:blushing:   I'll blame it on the cats. Melvin was yowling for food and distracted me.

Cats are always good for a variety of excuses! cat-smiley.gif

It sounds like I need to get my hands on The Plover!

I was scrolling my Facebook feed and this popped up. I laughed out loud and said, "I need to share this with the Book A Week ladies!" So, here's the link... ;) http://www.upworthy.com/hilarious-summaries-of-classic-novels-theres-a-comic-for-that?c=ufb1

Yep, The Plover is worth the read!

That was a fun link. Ds got some good laughs out of it too.

I agree! With 4-1/2 months left I hope to read some really good books before the end of the year. So far this year I've read 46 books. Out of those, these top the list -

Things Fall Apart

The Plover

Persepolis

Behind the Beautiful Forevers

Candide

Any or all of them could get knocked off the list if I revisit it at the end of the year or they could all end up staying. Also, Angela's Ashes should probably be there as well. I just can't do top any-number lists of books. No matter how big the number is there's always another book or three I want to add. :)

I have a hard time narrowing lists down too. And some of it depends on my mood the day I make the list. I read Candide in college & remember loving it. I should revisit it someday.

I just finished Following the Equator. It ended with a fun poem in which Mr. Twain used 66 Australian place names. It would rival Jabberwocky. Of the poem he says, "Perhaps a poet laureate could do better, but a poet laureate gets wages, and that is different. When I write poetry I do not get any wages; I often lose money by it."

More gems:

"Names are not always what they seem. The common welsh name Bzjxxllwcp is pronounced Jackson."

"The autocrat of Russia possesses more power than any other man in the earth; but he cannot stop a sneeze."

"There are many humorous things in the world; among them the white man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."

"Men ought to feel a sort of respect for their mothers and wives and sisters by this time. The women deserve a change of attitude like that, for they have wrought well. In forty-seven years they have swept an imposingly large number of unfair laws from the statute books of America. In that time these serfs have set themselves free--essentially. Men could not have done so much for themselves in that time without bloodshed-- at least they never have; and that is an argument that they didn't know how." (There is a lot more of a similar sentiment in the rest of this passage)

💕

I love Mark Twain. He is one of the most quoteable authors out there. I need to read more of his work.

Hey guys! Waving hello from one of my favorite spots on earth, Orcas Island, WA.  We've spent the last few days on the lake, today dh went for a steep hike and the girls and I are hanging out at our house (awesome VRBO w/ a deck w/ ocean views) and . . .  looking at colleges!  Dd suddenly got really interested in thinking about this, so . . . okay! It's great to see her taking interest and ownership in her future, and getting really excited about it.

Reading:  I finished The Plover, which I loved.  I was happy to have read Simon Winchester's Pacific and The Sex Lives of Cannibals beforehand, because it gave me a lot of good background to the Pacific that made me appreciate the book even more.  I also read A Visit from the Goon Squad, which I really liked.  I'm reading O Pioneers, The Beak of the Finch, American Exodus and Little Bee.  I have lots of reading time as I mind the dog while the rest of the family are kayaking.

My top 5 books so far this year . . . in fiction!

The Plover

The Age of Innocence

Homegoing

No Country for Old Men

Sergio Y

and in nonfiction:

A Sand County Almanac

The New Jim Crow

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World

Men Explain Things to Me

The Invention of Nature

Sounds like an amazing & beautiful location & vacation. Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Love your lists!

Jenn, my husband and I finished listening to the final third of the book over a couple of days.  We both agreed that the storyline was complex but that we enjoyed it.  The setting of the book, The City and the City, was intriguing.  It consisted of cities from two different countries, parts of which overlapped in the same physical space.  Citizens of each country (and tourists) were trained to un-see people and places from the other country or they would be considered to be in breach of the law; they were also forbidden to engage with any person or item in the other city.  (Unless they got a visa and officially went there in which case they would have to un-see their own homeland.)  An organization called Breach would remove any individual who knowingly committed a breach.  The main character is a detective who is called upon to solve the crime of a murdered woman.  His case ultimately takes him to the other city.  One might describe this book as a detective story with a science fiction component. 

I wonder is this might be weird enough for you, Stacia.  Admittedly, there are no talking geckos ....

I loved Jenn's statement that China Mieville is her favorite abandoned author. :laugh:  I've never tried Mieville's books, though I've often thought about it. But, somehow I always remain on the fence. Maybe, unconsciously, I think I'm going to feel like Jenn does about his work.

• Like 10

I think I may be very slowly working through The Book of Disquiet. My concentration is not the greatest these days, so I may need to take it in small pieces. Fortunately, it is assembled in small-ish pieces so that should work. The intro also mentions that the order of the pieces may not be the intended order & that really you can choose to read it in any order. (That reminded me of Julio Cortázar's Hopscotch.)

In the meantime, the library got a Europa book that I had wanted to read when I saw it on Europa's website earlier this year. Yay. So, I picked up & started reading The Pope's Daughter by Dario Fo. I first became acquainted with Fo when I read one of his plays last year. It's very conversational in tone & is a fun (can you call the Borgias fun?) book so far. I'm definitely enjoying it. In the introduction, Fo gives a little bit of history of the times, etc.... He mentions July 1492 when there were over 200 murders in Rome:

It's easy enough to explain: in Rome, every time a pope died, there was a host of murders because in time-honored tradition, once the conclave elected a new pope, an amnesty was declared for anyone who might have committed a crime during the days of the interregnum.

So anyone nursing a murderous grudge took advantage of the papal vacancy to satisfy his thirst for vendetta, murdering whomever he chose, confident that he would be set free in a matter of days, and all thanks to the certainty of a sure and plenary indulgence. Good times!

cover_9781609452742_221_240.jpg

The book

Lucrezia Borgia is one of the most vilified figures in modern history. The daughter of a notorious pope, she was twice betrothed before the age of eleven and thrice married—one husband was forced to declare himself impotent and thereby unfit and another was murdered by Lucrezia’s own brother, Cesar Borgia. She is cast in the role of murderess, temptress, incestuous lover, loose woman, femme fatale par excellence. But there is always more than one version of a story. Lucrezia Borgia is the only woman in history to serve as the head of the Catholic Church. She successfully administered several of the Renaissance Italy’s most thriving cities, founded one of the world’s first credit unions, and was a generous patron of the arts. She was mother to a prince and to a cardinal. She was a devoted wife to the Prince of Ferrara, and the lover of the poet Pietro Bembo. She was a child of the renaissance and in many ways the world’s first modern woman. Dario Fo, Nobel laureate and one of Italy’s most beloved writers, reveals Lucrezia’s humanity, her passion for life, her compassion for others, and her skill at navigating around her family’s evildoings. The Borgias are unrivalled for the range and magnitude of their political machinations and opportunism. Fo’s brilliance rests in his rendering their story as a shocking mirror image of the uses and abuses of power in our own time. Lucrezia herself becomes a model for how to survive and rise above those abuses.

The author

Dario Fo
Born near Lago Maggiore in Italy in 1926, Dario Fo is an actor, playwright, comedian, director, songwriter and political campaigner. His first one-act play was produced in 1958 and since then he has written, directed and acted in over forty plays and theatrical productions. In 1997 he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature. In the words of the Nobel Prize committee: “He if anyone merits the epithet of jester in the true meaning of that word. With a blend of laughter and gravity he opens our eyes to abuses and injustices in society and also the wider historical perspective in which they can be placed.†The Pope’s Daughter is his first novel.

• Like 10

(I'm on my iPad on TapaTalk and have no idea how to do a proper link here!)

-Angela

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it just me? I have rarely seen such an appealing set of book covers. And I don't pick books by their covers!

Quite a few of these joined my TR list.

I finished O Pioneers last night. It was very good. I'm going to start The Things They Carried today.

• Like 10

Mumto2!  I think you will need to order a digital copy of the latest Piecework magazine.  It is another literary edition but this year the focus is the mystery.  Projects include knitting a cloche of the sort worn by 1920's female detectives.  Other projects include a Vera Stanhope inspired scarf and Nancy Drew's knitted knitting bag.  There are articles on projects and textiles in the new Jane Austen mystery series as well as classic Ngaio Marsh books. 

But it is not all mysteries!  This chock full issue also has an article on Jan Brett's wonderful picture book, The Mitten, with a pattern for mittens resembling those in the book.  (I must confess that I gave one of the grand nephews this book with hand knitted mittens a couple of years ago.)

My issue arrived in the mail yesterday, and thought of you as I sat reading it on the patio in the cool of the evening. It is an especially wonderful issue touching upon so many favorite authors.  I have a picture of all of us knitters making cloche hats to wear when we finally meet up (in Iceland).  I'm not sure if I want to make the cloche, the Nancy Drew bag or Vera's scarf, or if I should be making mittens for my ds to wear when he is walking to work in the cold of the Japanese winter. 

Some bookish posts from Tor.com:

Here's a post for Nan and other lovers of boats ~ 

It’s All in the Rigging: My Favorite Fantasy Boats by Fran Wilde  (read the comments, too.)

Bless them for including the dear Surprise!  I just finished the 17th in the Master and Commander series, The Commodore.  While it was satisfying, it wasn't the best, with the uneven pacing of the plot particularly jarring.  In previous books O'Brian captured the slow motion action of a sea chase while keeping you on the edge of your seat, then keeps you engaged through all the tactical moves and each broadside.  I knew I was totally absorbed in an earlier book when I found myself gasping aloud while listening as I walked the dog. I mean -- me, a land lubber suburban mom, utterly riveted by a Napoleonic-era sea battle!  With this book it feels the series peaked and has started a downward slide towards the final three. 

Part of my Master and Commander ritual is to read Jo Walton's summary and thoughts about that title from her Tor.com posts from 5 years ago. To my horror, someone in the comments section gave away a HUGE spoiler for a death in an upcoming book.  A subsequent commenter noted about the spoiler (in the patois of the crew), "which it's a hanging offence, ain't it?" 

• Like 12

This is a book that I forwarded to a friend whose mother is in an independent/assisted living facility. After my friend read it, the book made the rounds amongst her mom's friends.  What a tonic! We agreed though that Miss Buncle's Book is better than Miss Buncle Married.  Such is life.

Since you loved Miss Buncle, may I suggest one of my absolute favorite authors?  E.M. Delafield's Diary of a Provincial Lady will have you chuckling. And if you like it, there are sequels!

From your friend Jane (who has her Flufferton moments)

I just ordered this from Amazon so I can put it on my physical to-read shelf.  It's been on my Goodreads shelf for a long time but apparently that's not getting it read. 

Currently reading Gaskell's North and South, never having read any Gaskell before. And continuing to enjoy reading aloud Treasure Island. I might just read Kidnapped on my own after we finish, which I haven't yet read.

Have you been spying on my to-read shelf?  That said, it's a little dusty on my to-read shelf but my new years resolution was to read all the books on my actual physical to-read shelf before the end of the year so it shall get read soon!

She's a lot younger than I thought... :001_smile:

And pretty accomplished for someone not old enough to drive.

Can you link to this for those of us that are Luddites?

I was scrolling my Facebook feed and this popped up. I laughed out loud and said, "I need to share this with the Book A Week ladies!" So, here's the link... ;) http://www.upworthy.com/hilarious-summaries-of-classic-novels-theres-a-comic-for-that?c=ufb1

Loved it!  My favorite was Dante's Inferno.  All Hell Breaks Loose! 

• Like 9

I loved that! I had to share it on my book club's facebook page. 

• Like 6

Jane and Jenn, You guys have me trying to decide what I want to do. Physical copy, maybe subscription, via BF who would enjoy it also is an option. If I download it will I be able to easily print out patterns? I haven't touched my knitting needles in months other than to move the "current" project out of my way. I have become pretty obsessed with quilting and have plans for 3 totally new quilts waiting to be started beyond what I am working on.

I started listening to the first Master and Commander and can understand why Jenn loves them so much. I was shocked when looked at my screen at the start of the second chapter and discovered that I was already almost an hour in to the book.

I also finished listening to my Rev. Clare Ferguson series book https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24018004-out-of-the-deep-i-cry. All I can say is what a cliff hanger! I actually checked the next one out in book form to find out what happens next. :lol:

• Like 9

Jane and Jenn, You guys have me trying to decide what I want to do. Physical copy, maybe subscription, via BF who would enjoy it also is an option. If I download it will I be able to easily print out patterns? I haven't touched my knitting needles in months other than to move the "current" project out of my way. I have become pretty obsessed with quilting and have plans for 3 totally new quilts waiting to be started beyond what I am working on.

I only have physical copies so I don't know how easy it is to print from the digital. I just figured that digital copies would be less expensive for you after factoring in postage. But sharing with a BF is always a good option!

• Like 5

It looks like all knitting. I wish there were crochet projects. My left-handed knitting leaves much to be desired. 

In general Piecework has more knitting projects, but, even if one did not want to tackle any of the projects, the magazine is still interesting.  Piecework focuses on the historical and cultural aspects of handwork.  There are tales of women who kept their families fed because of sweater knitting or stories of special books of handwork passed from generation to generation.  Articles may focus on a traditional article of clothing--something worn today or something found in an archaeological dig.  The patterns recreating projects are almost an afterthought.  The Nancy Drew knitting bag pattern is preceded by an article on how knitting played a role in the mystery series.  Sure, being a knitter makes the articles more fun, but Piecework is one of the best magazines out there for stories on the role that women have played in material culture.

It would be nice if your library had it so that you peruse the magazine, particularly the annual literary issue. 

• Like 9

It looks like all knitting. I wish there were crochet projects. My left-handed knitting leaves much to be desired. 

I'm much better (and faster) at crochet than I am with knitting, but haven't tried the crochet magazine that is in the sidebar there on the interweave page. I don't know if the articles are as inviting, but perhaps the patterns are?  There have been a few knitting patterns over the last year that have intrigued me, and I'm determined to finally make some socks, if not also some mittens. Am bogged down in hand finishing the bindings for some charity quilts at the moment...

Mumto2, so happy you are enjoying Master and Commander!!  Jo Walton suggests skipping the second title as it is a sluggish read with most of it taking place on land.  I haven't read that one, thought I would save it for some future date when I go for a re-read.  

ETA:  My dh was gobsmacked that there would be an entire magazine issue devoted to both mystery authors and knitting!  He couldn't believe there would be much of a crossover between the two communities that would warrant such an issue, thinking, perhaps that I'm some kind of outlier :D

Edited by JennW in SoCal
  • Like 8

I'm much better (and faster) at crochet than I am with knitting, but haven't tried the crochet magazine that is in the sidebar there on the interweave page. I don't know if the articles are as inviting, but perhaps the patterns are?  There have been a few knitting patterns over the last year that have intrigued me, and I'm determined to finally make some socks, if not also some mittens. Am bogged down in hand finishing the bindings for some charity quilts at the moment...

I'll have to take a closer look at the site. I can knit simple rectangular things. The problem is I knit truly left handed, rather than just holding the yarn in my left hand (which some people consider knitting left handed - I don't). I have trouble flipping patterns. I can't used double pointed needles to save my life, but have some success with circular needles. 

There was a woman who was a true left-handed knitter who had a blog, videos, and even a DVD (which I bought). Sadly, she had early onset dementia and after blogging a bit about her memory loss, she stopped altogether. 

I just reread my last sentence. I mean sadly for her that this happened. I don't want you all to think I'm just sad that she isn't giving any more knitting instructions. :(

• Like 6

I'll have to take a closer look at the site. I can knit simple rectangular things. The problem is I knit truly left handed, rather than just holding the yarn in my left hand (which some people consider knitting left handed - I don't). I have trouble flipping patterns. I can't used double pointed needles to save my life, but have some success with circular needles.

There was a woman who was a true left-handed knitter who had a blog, videos, and even a DVD (which I bought). Sadly, she had early onset dementia and after blogging a bit about her memory loss, she stopped altogether.

I just reread my last sentence. I mean sadly for her that this happened. I don't want you all to think I'm just sad that she isn't giving any more knitting instructions. :(

I once tried to teach a leftie to crochet....blocked most of the experience from my brain for a reason. Youtube saved the day. ;)

That being said I can follow most patterns but cannot knit well with double points. Socks look fun but remember the magic loop method exists for a reason. https://blog.tincanknits.com/2013/10/03/magic-loop/

I always knit on circulars and seem to have taught many of my friends to also. It's much more portable.

• Like 5

I once tried to teach a leftie to crochet....blocked most of the experience from my brain for a reason. Youtube saved the day. ;)

That being said I can follow most patterns but cannot knit well with double points. Socks look fun but remember the magic loop method exists for a reason. https://blog.tincanknits.com/2013/10/03/magic-loop/

I always knit on circulars and seem to have taught many of my friends to also. It's much more portable.

I love my bamboo double points hence have not tried magic loop!

I am so glad that I took a sock knitting class at my local knitting store.  Youtube is great but it was nice to have someone standing behind me, holding my needles with me.  Also, we chatted about books in my class! 

Our bookish thread has taken a crafty turn, hasn't it? 

• Like 6

Oooh...let me know what colleges you liked, what's worth visiting, etc. I think NW colleges will be high on dd's list, but I know far less about them than CA colleges. Lots of visits in order. Was thinking we might do spring break in WA.

• Like 6

I scored one of these books at the library book sale today. (It is an adavanced reader copy of the Archipelago book The First Wife.)

And I found a Kenyan-Indian book called The In-Between World of Vikram Lall.

• Like 7

Oooh...let me know what colleges you liked, what's worth visiting, etc. I think NW colleges will be high on dd's list, but I know far less about them than CA colleges. Lots of visits in order. Was thinking we might do spring break in WA.

Well, at this point we're just virtually looking, not looking IRL.  Although U Washington is on her list.  We're doing searches for schools with great creative writing programs. Sadly they mostly seem to be east, south, or midwest so far!

• Like 8

I've been trying to find a fiction book to keep me interested and nothing was holding my attention. All the ones I started were good but they just aren't what I want right now. I decided to try the first Jack Reacher book. Dh is on #3 or 4 and has been getting the ebooks from the library. We own the first one that we got at a low price a few years ago during a Kindle book sale. I like it a lot so far.

I'm also still reading my meaty non-fiction books, Alexander Hamilton and Notorious RBG, but I wanted something for when I need a break. 

For those that read police procedurals, a WTMer is trying to remember the name of a series....

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/621475-what-book-series-is-this-police-procedural-set-in-seattle-female-detective-male-boss-more-inside/

I saw her post this morning but the description didn't ring a bell. I read a lot of British mysteries and historical mysteries, so I wasn't surprised I didn't know the series she's trying to remember.

• Like 11

I just finished reading Little Bee.  I'm unsatisfied. I've experienced many times a book that had an interesting and compelling story, but just didn't pull off an ending. This one falls into that category for me. It's hard to end a book well, I get it. But so unsatisfying for a reader when an author doesn't get it right. I don't demand a happy ending, but you can't just devolve into sentimentality and then fade off into the sunset.  Grrr.

• Like 10

I just finished reading Little Bee.  I'm unsatisfied. I've experienced many times a book that had an interesting and compelling story, but just didn't pull off an ending. This one falls into that category for me. It's hard to end a book well, I get it. But so unsatisfying for a reader when an author doesn't get it right. I don't demand a happy ending, but you can't just devolve into sentimentality and then fade off into the sunset.  Grrr.

I have to agree w/ you on this one. I read it years ago. Some parts were compelling, but I wasn't thrilled with the overall whole.

• Like 8

For those that read police procedurals, a WTMer is trying to remember the name of a series....

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/621475-what-book-series-is-this-police-procedural-set-in-seattle-female-detective-male-boss-more-inside/

Oh, she updated in this post. It wasn't Seattle but across the country in Pittsburgh. Those of us who like police procedurals got a few new series ideas out of the thread. 

• Like 7

Finished:

Gabriel Hounds by Mary Stewart - It was one of her more 'meh' books.  The last fifty pages were great but very slow before that.  The book does get bonus points for cousins being in love.  For some twisted reason that always amuses me in British books.

The Leper of Saint Giles by Ellis Peters - Book #5 in the Brother Cadfael series.  My grandmother loved these and I remember her reading them.  My only wish is that I had read them when she was because we could have talked about them. 

• Like 10

Finished:

Gabriel Hounds by Mary Stewart - It was one of her more 'meh' books.  The last fifty pages were great but very slow before that.  The book does get bonus points for cousins being in love.  For some twisted reason that always amuses me in British books.

I remember being slightly shocked by that when I read The Grand Sophy as a young teen.  But, but, Sophy and Charles are cousins!  Ewww!    Funny how those taboos change over time.

• Like 8

Man, I am having a very deja vu experience.  A week or two ago I read No Country for Old Men, which was the most amazingly written terrible book I've ever read, and immediately wanted to read everything Cormac McCarthy has written. Now I'm having the same experience with Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried.  It's awful, but it's stunningly amazing storytelling.  Reading like a writer, I want more.  As a human being, it's rather awful.

I'm thinking I need to go on a stellar author fast.  Just read really, really, really amazingly well-written books.  So I'm open to suggestions: what is the best-written book (or top 3, or top 5) that you've ever read?  Any subject, any genre, just fantastic writing.  

I guess I'll need to repost this tomorrow on the new thread - on vacation, I've totally lost track of the days! But I'm all ears . . . 

• Like 9

Man, I am having a very deja vu experience.  A week or two ago I read No Country for Old Men, which was the most amazingly written terrible book I've ever read, and immediately wanted to read everything Cormac McCarthy has written. Now I'm having the same experience with Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried.  It's awful, but it's stunningly amazing storytelling.  Reading like a writer, I want more.  As a human being, it's rather awful.

Yes, exactly! It was not an easy book. Can you understand now why I was sorry I chose the audio format? I'm sure you can.

The only McCarthy I read was The Road, for book club a year or so ago, but I can understand your comparison. That was a depressing book. Dh and I watched the movie No Country for Old Men, and I don't think I want to read the book. Reading one of his books and watching a movie based on another is enough for me.

• Like 10

Yes, exactly! It was not an easy book. Can you understand now why I was sorry I chose the audio format? I'm sure you can.

The only McCarthy I read was The Road, for book club a year or so ago, but I can understand your comparison. That was a depressing book. Dh and I watched the movie No Country for Old Men, and I don't think I want to read the book. Reading one of his books and watching a movie based on another is enough for me.

I absolutely get it. I would not want to be listening to this book, but I am so glad I have read it.  I want to share it with my dd as a writer - I think the writing is so stunning - but there is not a snowball's chance in hell I would let a 13 year old read it.  Maybe someday. Much later.

I didn't think I wanted to read No Country for Old Men either, after seeing the movie and reading The Road.  But I"m really glad I did, the writing was just stunning.  OTOH, I could never, ever watch a movie based on The Road.  Some things you can read, but not watch.  

• Like 10

I'm thinking I need to go on a stellar author fast.  Just read really, really, really amazingly well-written books.  So I'm open to suggestions: what is the best-written book (or top 3, or top 5) that you've ever read?  Any subject, any genre, just fantastic writing.  . . 

Quick list:

No Country for Old Men

The Razor's Edge

The Good Lord Bird

Galore

Cloud Atlas

The Cat's Table

The Remains of the Day

The Expedition to the Baobab Tree

Mr. Fox

The Goldfinch

• Like 9