Menu

Recommend a vacuum with Hepa filter for asthma and allergies

SeaConquest

I went to the allergist the other day to have some testing done on my older son. We suspected that he got my genes, and inherited some allergies.

We just added a dog to the family as well, so I would like to upgrade our vacuum to something with a HEPA filter. I need something that can do both carpet and hardwood floors because we are likely moving into a fifth wheel without carpet. Our current rental house is carpeted.

Do I really need to spend the money on a Miele? Are Dysons as good as they say? What is the best vacuum for asthma and allergies?

Edited by SeaConquest

This is a great Hoover vac: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hoover-Tempo-Widepath-Bagged-Upright-Vacuum-U5140900/14237588

"Allergen filtration paper bag on this Hoover Tempo Widepath upright vacuum traps 99% of dust and pollens down to five-microns"

My first one lasted many years. It's great at filtering dust and allergens and is so inexpensive. It Would be light and not too bulky for a 5th wheel situation.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

The Bissell pet version (friend who have it rave about it, including a friend who cleans houses as a job). Their carpet cleaner is also excellent.

I don't have a pet, so we have a basic Bissell with hepa. I can't believe the stuff it picks up. You have to really use the settings for carpet height/no carpet, change filters (or wash/clean them, depending on the type), empty the canister, and change the drive belt, but I assume you have to do most of that with other sweepers as well (except the ones that have bags). My kids have no trouble using it, and you can get so many spare parts online from their website, you could probably build one. (I've not had much break on the regular sweeper, but I dropped a carpet cleaner part just right, and it broke.) My kids are super hard on things, and our Bissell stuff as survived them well.