Menu

Graduations are still nicer dress occasions, right?

Jean in Newcastle

...maybe? I'm pretty sure I wore shorts and a t-shirt when I graduated high school, but then, I only attended because my grandmother came out from California to see it. Brought a book with me, too. But other people were dressed up, I think. And I guess the families all dressed nicely...?

I think and hope so but then again, we live in a world where some people wear anything anywhere. So wear what you think you should wear. I usually err on the side of being a little more dressed up for special events. It's a special event for some one so special clothes are a fun way to participate.

For daily life though, I don't think I could be more casual without wearing my night gown outside or something. So I'm not one who pushes dressing up in general.

• Like 1

...maybe? I'm pretty sure I wore shorts and a t-shirt when I graduated high school, but then, I only attended because my grandmother came out from California to see it. Brought a book with me, too. But other people were dressed up, I think. And I guess the families all dressed nicely...?

But you probably had a cap and gown over it, which is its own kind of dressed up. We had a priest who wore shorts and tshirts under his robes but he was always dressed for the job because of the robes.

• Like 1

Here range from smart casual to formal depending on parents but most turn up in Sunday best because everyone is taking lots of photos. My district has general guidelines but no rules as they don't want to have offended parents telling them off.

ETA:

I was thinking high school graduation. For college graduation, it is still on the dressy side for guests.

Edited by Arcadia

But you probably had a cap and gown over it, which is its own kind of dressed up. We had a priest who wore shorts and tshirts under his robes but he was always dressed for the job because of the robes.

Yup! Says the woman who wore boxers and a tank top under her choir robes to conduct a formal choir concert in an amphitheatre during 90 degree weather.

Around here it is really a mixed bag. Some dress up for commencements and some do not.

Varied here.  My son's high school graduation was on a Wednesday night at 7p.   I wore a nice maxi dress with a denim jacket, my DH wore dark jeans and a nice casual button down shirt, 13DS and 10DS wore nice shorts and casual button down.  I saw all types of clothes on other people in the audience though.  Ratty looking jeans, and tshirts, all the way to suit and tie.     

I think we are at a point in society where it doesn't really matter so much.  I mean, these days many churches welcome all kinds of casual dress and even mention that on their website "no need to dress up".   Recent weddings I attend, I was surprised to see how casual people were dressed.  

I thought so but when my ds graduated 2 years ago cut off shorts, Harley tees and flip flops were in abundance. Of course I've seen the same at funeral viewings so it might be my area. I think anything goes.ni just like to dress up as does dh for things.

Edited by joyofsix

I know it makes me depressed to see how society is becoming less and less formal. Special occasions are special and by dressing in a way different from our day to day wear we make a nonverbal communication about the event being special. 

I know, I know. I've heard all the debates and arguments....clothing doesn't matter. It's just clothes and it doesn't reflect the type of person I am or my attitude. Except they do. Clothing very much sends loud nonverbal communication to others whether we like it or not and whether we admit it or not. Even wearing casual clothing to special events because you feel that "clothing doesn't matter" you are making a statement. That statement can be "I don't care" or "I'm showing the man that I won't conform" or something else, but your clothing sends messages. 

By dressing nicer I think we send a message to kids that their achievement matters and we are proud enough to put in the extra effort to dress up. I unapologetically hold that opinion. 

This video sums it up for me

Edited by Mom-ninja.