Menu

Conflicted about math for new 9th grader

He is headed for a stem career.

In 7th grade we tried an online charter that used khan academy as the only math. He did 8th grade math that year and got through it but it was horrible. We hated the set up and he hated not actually being taught anything. We had used MUS up to that point and he had completed through zeta.

As soon as the charter ended in May we went right into MUS algebra 1. He was so relieved to finally understand what he had "learned" in khan. He really appreciates having a teacher teach and then work the problems. He has done fine. Rarely misses any test problem. He doesn't do great with the honors pages though. I usually need to work through them with him.

ETA: posted before I was done. See below

Edited by busymama7

So he needs work on his reasoning and problem solving skills. He is a very straight forward, black and white kind of person so inferring how to figure something out isn't his strong suit even when I think it should be fairly obvious. I was a strong math student completing cal B in high school but did not take college math. I can help with math no problem but due to the sheer number of kids we have I cant be the teacher alone. We have really appreciated MUS for this reason.

I briefly considered Saxon for him last year but went with what was working instead and he is content. I however am worried. I can see him moving to the CC by 11th grade and am ok with him taking whatever class he tests in to. So maybe I should leave well enough alone and just use MUS geometry this year.

I did switch a younger child to CLE just recently and I am really really happy. I am considering using it for this coming up 9th grader.

An online class isn't totally out of the question but honestly the year we did the online charter was horrible and we all hated it. Possibly just one class would be ok but I much prefer paper and pencil style school for ease and reduced stress. This child also has bad reactions to excessive computer time so that's not my first choice.

I think I'm debating between MUS and CLE. I want something that is fairly independent and with good strong instruction.

Edited by busymama7

I would consider starting in on a traditional algebra 1 program now. I would suggest Foerster's or Jacob's. Jacob's is really hard to get so Foerster's is an excellent choice.

I see at rainbow resource that they have a flash drive of a teacher teaching the lessons. Is that what you mean? Because I also tried lial's at the recommendation of someone here for my oldest who is very similar to this child and it was a disaster. No way can my kids learn by being handed a textbook and I can not teach math daily.

How about Derek Owens? Watch video, do sample problems, do homework problems and turn in, do test and turn in. He handles grades and will send extra videos if your kid needs help.

This looks like a good option. At this point we can't afford it as my husband is between jobs but it is possible that we will be getting money from our state to opt out of public school and if that happens we will seriously consider this option. Thank you!

• Like 1

This looks like a good option. At this point we can't afford it as my husband is between jobs but it is possible that we will be getting money from our state to opt out of public school and if that happens we will seriously consider this option. Thank you!

If you get the funds, I think you will find that Derek Owens is well worth the expense.  I just can't say enough good things about the service and education Derek provides.

Many online charter schools are quite weak so probably don't use that to judge them all.

If your student does not like watching videos then I would skip that aspect.

Your student really needs to be able to handle some of the "challenge" problems to be successful in most STEM fields.

You could use Foerster's Algebra 1 and do some of those problems before or while starting Geometry with CLE or MUS.

I believe MUS is considered less challenging but review the pinned thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/542418-homeschool-high-school-math/

Another vote for Derek Owens.  The instruction is solid, he does the grading, and he's available for questions.  

Ds's work with Derek seemed sort of easy (amount of work, and the whole process) and anti-climatic that I was a bit worried about where ds's math skills were really at. He actually placed higher on the college entrance exam than where he had finished in Derek's coursework.

One of the biggest mistakes we made with math was having ds do Geometry at the high school in 9th grade and then doing a semester of an advanced math class there as well for 10th. The advanced class compressed Algebra 2 with Precalculus. The teacher wasn't the best and it took us a while to try Derek.  If I could have a do-over, ds would simply have done both classes in sequence in the same year with Derek and accomplished the same thing with a lot less stress.

Math classes with Derek Owens were the least stressful part of homeschooling. 

Foerster is pretty self-teaching, but if you need a teacher, I would not use the MWB videos.  I would recommend going with either Derek Owens or Chalkdust.

Can you please share more details? Did you have a bad experience? MWB is always recommended on these forums when the topic of extra support for Foerster's comes up.

Can you please share more details? Did you have a bad experience? MWB is always recommended on these forums when the topic of extra support for Foerster's comes up.

I find the videos just repeat exactly what Foerster wrote in the book. The books are great and are pretty self-teaching. If a student can read and follow what is in the text, the videos do not add anything of value from my POV.

• Like 3

I find the videos just repeat exactly what Foerster wrote in the book. The books are great and are pretty self-teaching. If a student can read and follow what is in the text, the videos do not add anything of value from my POV.

Thank you for sharing. :)

Does the Foerster's book come with answers?

What kind of math are you looking for? Alg? Geometry?

I researched Geometry this year and from what I could read, Derek Owen's was weakest at teaching Geometry, but was wonderful at all the other maths.

So, for us, for Geometry we're using myhomeschoolmathclass.com. It is run by a fellow boardie: Jann in TX.

We have not started yet, so I can't give a review for myself, but every review I found online was glowing. However, Jann will not be our teacher. She has another teacher who also works there and we'll be using her. (Retired teacher of 28 years.).

What is good about it is that it is $400 total for the school year and you pay per month $50 a month. And you can drop at any time for any reason. You just give them notice as soon as you can and don't pay the next $50. Done.

It's an online classroom, so you have to log on at the right time and the teacher actually teaches you. Then you work on the problems at home alone. Two classes a week.

Again: we haven't started yet, so I can't give a review, but maybe it will fit your situation. They don't just do Geometry. They do other math as well (alg.).

I was all prepared to use Derek Owens but I kept reading that his Geometry class was weak, so I decided to try Jann's, which was reviewed as strong. (Though, of course, it's not Jann teacher because Jann's class was filled.). Ok, I'm repeating myself now.

UPDATE: Someone below clarified about DO's geometry, that is it NOT a weak class as I said above. Though, I am 99% sure she wasn't the only person who that DO's geometry wasn't the best of DO's class. I'm searching for the right words to use. From what I read, DO's geometry isn't bad. It was just that his other classes were so amazing and the geometry wasn't as good as those--that's what I meant by "weak". But I'm going off of memory here. Please do your own research, as I would hate to give someone a bad review incorrectly.

Edited by Garga

I researched Geometry this year and from what I could read, Derek Owen's was weakest at teaching Geometry, but was wonderful at all the other maths.

I was one of the ones who had issues with Derek Owens Geometry.

It is *not* a weak class.  

The problem with the geometry is the text, which is Jacobs Geometry 3rd edition.  There is a disconnect between the (excellent) teaching on the videos and the problems assigned from the book,  The teaching and what DO calls homework (more like open book quizzes) and the tests were fairly well aligned.  I ended up supplementing (heavily) using the 2nd edition of Jacobs Geometry.

Because of this issue, I don't recommend DO Geometry for weak math students or families where the parent is not able to supplement as necessary.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

That's the problem here though. This teen has mild dyslexia and reading math from a book just isn't going to work. At all.

I know MUS is supposed to be less challenging but the format has just work so blissfully for us. His older brother by two years has much more severe dyslexia (although never has struggled with math) and he found MUS geometry so easy and combined with the fact that I see that this son really needs to work on problem solving that I'm pretty sure we need a different route.

No one has really commented on CLE. I need an inexpensive option in case the funds from the state doesn't come. I realize he would have to mostly self teach with CLE but because of the way the daily lessons are set up and short I think I could handle working with him daily before he does the problems. I would like to hear about any experience with CLE.

Edited by busymama7

Many online charter schools are quite weak so probably don't use that to judge them all.

If your student does not like watching videos then I would skip that aspect.

Your student really needs to be able to handle some of the "challenge" problems to be successful in most STEM fields.

You could use Foerster's Algebra 1 and do some of those problems before or while starting Geometry with CLE or MUS.

I believe MUS is considered less challenging but review the pinned thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/542418-homeschool-high-school-math/

It's not a matter of weak or anything with online work. I know there are great online classes. It's the actual act of being on the computer that is not a good choice for this boy. He is allowed computer time but in excess it really changes his personality. Also, attending live classes is something that is very very difficult to accomplish in our busy household.

Really and truly, I want paper and pencil work. I prefer checking it myself anyways so I know exactly how they are doing. The online format is just not my first choice. But I want direct instruction. The problem with khan was that they were just given problems and the there were some sort of related videos that might help them figure it out but mostly they were on their own. Also the whole five in a row thing. 😡 really rhey wasted more time that year than anything. I realize a live class like Derek Owens is not the same set up as khan thankfully but I'm still hesitant for the other reasons mentioned. I jus love the format of mus so so much. It works perfectly for us. My oldest used only MUS until college math and did great. So I'm not sure that the argument about it being weak is really all that valid. But I do see that this child struggles with the problem solving (I'm certain it is because of the dyslexia.) which my oldest didn't and that's what I want to help him with. Maybe I need a supplement and not a whole new math program. I know he will find MUS geometry easy and would have time to work on something else along side.

Edited by busymama7

And yes the argument that mus is weak is valid. It isn't just opinion. It is verifiable in black and white text. :)

Ok I get it. But my oldest got a 28 on the act in math and did great at the college level in high school after never using anything else. So really, it was good enough by those measurements. The thing about it is that they really really understand math. That was what this current child said after doing khan for a year and going back to MUS. now he finally understood what he had been *doing* on khan and getting right. So I think personally that that deep understanding has value aside from the scope and sequence. And if you stick with MUS is does get covered just sometimes later or in different grades. I hate to see it so disparaged here as it has been a good program for us.

• Like 1

Ok a few questions about think well:

One frustration we had with khan was that any slight typo in the answer marked it wrong (like not using a capital for a variable) and the whole five in a row thing started over 😡. Or if they just accidentally pressed enter too soon etc. this was a huge waste of time and why we were so glad to get back to paper and pencil! I see that thinkwell also has online problems to be automatically graded. I don't love this set up and again I don't really want this child on the computer for math. Is the grading really tough like khan was or are they allowed to re-enter their answers like with TT? (I've never used it but have a friend who does and I asked the same thing)

Is the student able to move through the course at their own pace or is it assigned to weeks in the school year? We really appreciate being able to accelerate and I'm not a fan of having to stick with a set time frame.

I like the price better than the live classes but do not want him doing math online if I can at all avoid it so I'm still looking :)

Edited by busymama7

You are discussing multiple different issues. MUS does explain topics clearly, but MUS does not go into as much depth as other programs. It is not simply a matter of teaching later or in a different sequence. Also what is the definition of adequate? What one student needs to succeed in their future major is not what another needs. I know that my sons could not have succeeded as well in engineering or physics with only math U see. There is a tangible difference in content.

Some kids can fill in the gaps in depth between mus and application. I am glad my kids did not have to find out if they could.

• Like 2

Ok that's fine. I'm really not asking for feedback about MUS. I am pretty certain this child needs to use a different program and I'm asking about that. But I keep getting answers that don't fit my criteria so let me try again:

Not online.

Not live classes.

Not computer based(unless it is just for the lessons and work is done on paper and checked by hand NOT computer)

Direct instruction, preferably not by me. Which basically leaves DVD lessons I think.

Fairly independent. I am available for questions and assistance but I want him to be able to get started without me.

Has to be more than just reading the lesson from the book as he has dyslexia.

Strong problem solving skills taught or worked on.

ETA: able to work at own pace/accelerate

Inexpensive. (And least relatively)

If anyone has any suggestions based on this criteria and/or comments on CLE geometry I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Edited by busymama7

Just a clarification:  Derek Owens isn't a live class. His videos are pre-recorded and available either on the website or you can ask for a USB stick and they can watch them offline. (That's what we do.)

You can check his work, too. However, you'd have to do the problems first since DO doesn't send you the answer key. (Although, I think you can ask for half-price classes where he WILL send you the answer keys and you do all the grading. Then, you are just paying for the video instruction and the availability to ask for help if you need it. Someone else might be able to explain this option better.) You only pay for the months you use DO so if your kid gets through the material faster, you pay less for that class. You can accelerate the classes that way, too. It is go-at-your-own-pace. (My dd is on her 10th month of physics, but he only made us pay for 9 months. So, if you have a kid who moves slowly, that can be a plus, too.)

• Like 1

Ok that's fine. I'm really not asking for feedback about MUS. I am pretty certain this child needs to use a different program and I'm asking about that. But I keep getting answers that don't fit my criteria so let me try again:

Not online.

Not live classes.

Not computer based(unless it is just for the lessons and work is done on paper and checked by hand NOT computer)

Direct instruction, preferably not by me. Which basically leaves DVD lessons I think.

Fairly independent. I am available for questions and assistance but I want him to be able to get started without me.

If anyone has any suggestions based on this criteria and/or comments on CLE geometry I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Standard TV DVD for a full math course is probably hard to find these days.  Thinkwell and others have moved to streaming online videos only.

For some videos, you could use Chromecast or similar to move the display from the computer to your TV. We do that for Youtube stuff.

Other devices and some TVs can broadcast the video directly from a USB stick.

Good luck

Just a clarification:  Derek Owens isn't a live class. His videos are pre-recorded and available either on the website or you can ask for a USB stick and they can watch them offline. (That's what we do.)

What format are the USB stick videos?  MP4?

Important if the OP does not like computer displays.

What format are the USB stick videos? MP4?

Important if the OP does not like computer displays.

Thank you. I am ok with him using the computer to watch it (not really any different than the TV). I just want the problems worked on paper and graded by hand. I want to limit the computer time not totally eliminate it. I could live with steamed instruction videos as long as the work is done on paper. The problem is if we are out of the house or the Internet is down etc. I don't like being tied to that kind of instruction. I like more old fashioned ways 😂

I like this option. I will make note.

Thank you. I am ok with him using the computer to watch it (not really any different than the TV). I just want the problems worked on paper and graded by hand. I want to limit the computer time not totally eliminate it. I could live with steamed instruction videos as long as the work is done on paper. The problem is if we are out of the house or the Internet is down etc. I don't like being tied to that kind of instruction. I like more old fashioned ways 😂

I like this option. I will make note.

I would say almost everyone here prefers that approach for learning.  Even the smaller sized online classes usually mentioned here just have you scan the paper to PDF.

We are also doing an ALEKS based College Algebra course (totally online answering and grading) and DS uses scratch paper then types it in the required math format (slow and tedious).  I do some of the problems myself. The graphing stuff is quite bad.

Kahn, ALEKS, and such are better for review IMHO.

• Like 1

My Dd used DO for pre-cal, but not as designed. She watched his videos and worked through the textbook on her own and graded with the answer key. Grading geo is much more difficult bc multiple proofs can lead to the same answer. I end up doing geo with my kids bc it is faster to grade that way than trying to grade independently.

If you can find a way to afford DO and submit the work for grading, it is probably the best option you are going to find for a proof based geo class.

• Like 2

I would say almost everyone here prefers that approach for learning. Even the smaller sized online classes usually mentioned here just have you scan the paper to PDF.

We are also doing an ALEKS based College Algebra course (totally online answering and grading) and DS uses scratch paper then types it in the required math format (slow and tedious). I do some of the problems myself. The graphing stuff is quite bad.

Kahn, ALEKS, and such are better for review IMHO.

Good to know although one of the things we didnt like about the online charter was the cumbersome way everything had to be scanned and submitted.

We did a bit of aleks and hated it too.

Maybe I need to rethink this and go with a standard textbook and just teach him myself. I see that the Derek Owens videos are the smart board ones and we hate that format. Have tried it with several different things and really really don't like it.

ETA: I realize I am being difficult. It is the reason we have stuck with MUS. the format is perfect for us. Instruction and paper/pencil work graded by me so I know exactly where they are at and where they struggle.

Edited by busymama7

Tablet Class may fit your criteria.  It is inexpensive  - I believe $99 for a year, but he may be running a special right now.  Teaching is online video, problems can printed off to work on paper, solutions are worked out on video.  My oldest son is my math guru; he has used TC for Geometry & Algebra II and wishes he had used it for Algebra (and would have used for Pre-Calc if they had that class).  He has been very happy with it. 

Oldest ds used Foerster with Math without Borders video/solutions for Pre-Calculus.  He tried Foerster without video teaching & worked out solutions, but decided he needed the video teaching.  He has been happy with MWB and plans to use the MWB/Foerster combo for Calculus.

We have also tried Cool Math Guy videos, which is Dana Mosely.  DS liked his teaching style, but didn't like trying to coordinate them with the Foerster book (I believe Chalkdust/Cool Math Guy coordinates with a Larson book).  I believe the Cool Math Guy videos are about 150/year, which is cheaper then Chalkdust dvd's, but you can't reuse for the next kid.  

CLE Geometry hasn't been redone to the newer Sunrise Editions, so isn't the beloved program that many people have found to be great for the elementary level. They've only recently released the Sunrise Edition of Algebra 1. I've never heard anything good about the upper non-Sunrise Edition levels of CLE.

On DO - I'm not a fan of Khan's smart board lessons, but DO's are different for some reason. Has your son watched any of the samples on YouTube? (I linked to Algebra videos since he's working on Algebra now. DO has some Geo ones up, too.) 

Another option -- How about Homeschool Connections recorded classes? Their "unlimited access" is $30/month (one master account). You do the grading, but he has the video instruction. There is a 7-day $1 trial available to check it out.

HC is a Catholic provider, but I think the religion is limited to an opening prayer. They use Saxon or Jurgensen for Geometry. He could try the Math Boot Camp (only 8 classes @ 1 hr each - no text necessary) to try it out. It is the same teacher for most of the math recorded math classes, I think. (If you want a teacher to do the grading for you, it is available for an extra cost. I'm assuming you'll be able to correct the work yourself.) The recorded classes make it easy to accelerate if he wants to go faster. To get the most for your money, I'd sure look to see if any of your other children could use the recorded option for something, too.

Wow. How have I never heard of homeschool connections?!? Are the recorded classes as high quality as the great courses/teaching company?

Looking at this closer...

No. They record the live classes from the year before (or two years before, in some cases). I only know about the math, although I have friends who have used a ton of the other classes under the unlimited option. One of the classes each week is from a live one hour class. The other is usually about 30 minutes of teaching. We're doing the live option this year for eldest - which is pricier. But my kid really needs the accountability of a live class/teacher/peers.

HC is a fairly new provider in the online homeschooling world. If you are interested, I'd try out the $1 7-day trial when you have time on your hands. I think you can sample anything they have available. It would be a good way to see if your ds would like the class. They have a wide variety of classes, but the quality depends on the teacher, which varies.. If you like what you see, start a new thread asking for information about them because I think there are others on here who use them - either live or recorded.

Not online.

Not live classes.

ETA: able to work at own pace/accelerate

Inexpensive. (And least relatively)

VideoText Algebra and VideiText Geometry?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Regarding scanning and sending papers to DO--

You only send in what he calls the "homework" (which are really like quizzes) and the tests.  So maybe 8-10 pages per chapter.  You don't send in the worked practice problems.

• Like 1

Regarding scanning and sending papers to DO--

You only send in what he calls the "homework" (which are really like quizzes) and the tests. So maybe 8-10 pages per chapter. You don't send in the worked practice problems.

And how many chapters overall?

What about life of Fred? I had forgotten about it but he did use the fractions and decimals/percentage book and loved them. He doesn't need a lot of practice or review. I would call him mathy and intuitive with regards to concepts. He prefers to do as little written work as possible and is quite good at doing it in his head. I know it's read the book and that's it which I was trying to avoid but at least in the books we have its not at all like reading from a textbook :)

I know there is a lot of debate back and forth about it being enough.

busymama7,

What about ACE Algebra I?  I think it fits all of your requirements.  There are 12 little workbooks (paces), along with instructional DVDs, but the grading is on paper. 

https://aceweb.schooloftomorrow.com/store/dept.asp?dept_id=20000&elite_category=B&elite_subject=400

You can see samples of the DVDs here, by scrolling to the bottom:

http://www.christianbook.com/algebra-vol-1-12-1097-1108/pd/960200?event=ESRCG

bluebonnetgirl

Edited by bluebonnetgirl

A few more questions:

THINKWELL I looked at it closely, liked the price and the videos but when looking for reviews here, it seems it is not thorough enough.  Several comments mentioned that if you get the 2007 Holt Geometry book, the videos are available for free.  What would I need exactly, the student textbook and  homework and practice workbook?  Would I need the teacher book?  Also, do the videos co-ordinate exactly with the lessons/chapters in the book where he could say ok today is lesson 3.1 or whatever and here is the video and then the problems to do?  It needs to be that direct and straightforward for this boy to not get off track.  again, Im fine checking or having him self check some of the practice problems.  Do I need the teacher edition for quizzes/tests?

TABLET CLASS:  I still am not really wanting it all online as this appears to be but I also want to be sure to get a program that will get done, especially if I can't afford an online class.  I cant seem to grasp how this program works in the day to day.  Ive been all over the website and I can't tell how the problems are worked and graded.  I would appreciate an input here.  

A few more questions:

THINKWELL I looked at it closely, liked the price and the videos but when looking for reviews here, it seems it is not thorough enough.  Several comments mentioned that if you get the 2007 Holt Geometry book, the videos are available for free.  What would I need exactly, the student textbook and  homework and practice workbook?  Would I need the teacher book?  Also, do the videos co-ordinate exactly with the lessons/chapters in the book where he could say ok today is lesson 3.1 or whatever and here is the video and then the problems to do?  It needs to be that direct and straightforward for this boy to not get off track.  again, Im fine checking or having him self check some of the practice problems.  Do I need the teacher edition for quizzes/tests?

Holt 2007 and Thinkwell Geo are very similar in content and rigor both are OK IMHO - The TE edition will have answers to all the problems not just the odds. It also has some lesson plan stuff etc. The Holt should have plenty of problems in the text book including spiral problems. I don't think you would need more.  The videos are organized by chapter and section so this is done for you.  For what topics to cover you may want to look at the Thinkwell syllabus.

Holt probably will not have these: "Printable geometry worksheets and answer keys for each subchapter and topic". 

These will be less "proofy" then some other Geometry programs but unless your student is interested in majoring in math I think they are adequate.

Edited by MarkT