Menu

Palin pre-empts state report, clears self in probe

From Yahoo News tonight, this is the title of the article, and the first paragraph:

"Palin pre-empts state report, clears self in probe

Trying to head off a potentially embarrassing state ethics report on GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin, campaign officials released their own report Thursday that clears her of any wrongdoing. "

Here is the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081010/ap_on_el_pr/palin_troopergate

I found it quite amusing. :D

From Yahoo News tonight, this is the title of the article, and the first paragraph:

Trying to head off a potentially embarrassing state ethics report on GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin, campaign officials released their own report Thursday that clears her of any wrongdoing. "

Here is the link:

It's a shame you really just can't help yourself.

So the campaign did their own investigation and filed a report. The state legislature is going to release their report. *Shrug*

I find it amusing that anyone would be surprised? disturbed? that a public figure who is being investigated would like both sides of the story told.

I find it amusing that anyone would be surprised? disturbed? that a public figure who is being investigated would like both sides of the story told.
Testifying might have gone a long way towards telling her side of the story...

Here is the link:

This is unbelievable. Maybe living in Alaska, and living through the actual election run where Andrew Halcro lost in the primary run against Sarah Palin gives me and most Alaskans a different perspective. Let me just say, he's a sore loser turned blogger. End of story.

Mom to Aly, I understand your view of being completely contrary to anything with the word Palin in it..but is it more of a reflection on your hatred than your wanting to educate. There are many blogs out there slamming both sides of the issues, but we can't let them push us over the line into wanting others to laugh with us at those we hold the least amount of respect for.

I would be extremely discouraged if my children behaved in this manner, making jabs/attacks at someone they don't even know. Who is it serving? Is it meant to release your frustration at those blogs you find mar your candidate or misrepresent him? I really don't think you're that kind of person, you're very caring and concerned about your daughter and those that come into your life....but you have created two threads (one of which was closed) that was contentious from the get go about Palin, when that one was closed you found another Palin thread in which to let out your frustration and you've created this one.

You may find some that will feed your desire to discredit and malign Palin...but you'll also find that many others just want to see this board get back to support and encouragment, not personal attacks. I've stated many times (sad that I had to) that I would NEVER attack Obama personally, he is a human brother to me, he has a family and kids that I respect and although I don't like ONE iota of his plan or political platform...I atleast respect him enough not to speak so unkindly about him.

Tara

Mom to Aly, I understand your view of being completely contrary to anything with the word Palin in it..but is it more of a reflection on your hatred than your wanting to educate. There are many blogs out there slamming both sides of the issues, but we can't let them push us over the line into wanting others to laugh with us at those we hold the least amount of respect for.

I would be extremely discouraged if my children behaved in this manner, making jabs/attacks at someone they don't even know. Who is it serving? Is it meant to release your frustration at those blogs you find mar your candidate or misrepresent him? I really don't think you're that kind of person, you're very caring and concerned about your daughter and those that come into your life....but you have created two threads (one of which was closed) that was contentious from the get go about Palin, when that one was closed you found another Palin thread in which to let out your frustration and you've created this one.

You may find some that will feed your desire to discredit and malign Palin...but you'll also find that many others just want to see this board get back to support and encouragment, not personal attacks. I've stated many times (sad that I had to) that I would NEVER attack Obama personally, he is a human brother to me, he has a family and kids that I respect and although I don't like ONE iota of his plan or political platform...I atleast respect him enough not to speak so unkindly about him.

Tara

:iagree: Very nicely said. Thanks!

From what I understand - her husband tried to protect his family from an abusive ex bro in law making death threats against father in law. He asked to have the bro in law fired from being a state trooper. Woo -hoo! Go Todd Palin - what a great husband and father.

Tara

Thanks, Tara. This was very well said. Let's find a way to discuss things *nicely.* I think it's the negativity of a few posters that we hear from over and over and over that certainly doesn't win us over to their "side."

Sarah Palin has every right to defend herself. It might sound silly to clear yourself, but it's one way to get your side of the story out there. This has been a major smear campaign by a jealous former opponent and it's wasting not only money, but time and emotion.

Mom to Aly is a big girl and can stand up for herself but this is plain ridiculous. She did not post a blog, she posted a news article.

As for me, I don't hate Palin personally. I think she is a corrupt moron and a zealot who has no place leading a PTA meeting much less this country. There is a big difference. I think George Bush is a moron but I don't hate him either. Palin put herself out there in the public eye. I have seen so many posts on here condemning Brittney Spears or other public figures on this board, but apparently Palin is hands off?

I would be extremely discouraged if my children behaved in this manner, making jabs/attacks at someone they don't even know.

I would be extremely discouraged if my daughter DIDN'T wave the BS flag when she read articles like this, or heard some of Palin's remarks.

As for the rest of your post- if you don't want to participate, then just don't. Mom to Aly's post wasn't a personal attack, but yours was.

If you have something to say on the topic, then say it. But there is no need to make such holier than thou posts to someone for posting a friggin' news article. Yeesh.

Tara

And hats off to Alaska Mom as well. If anyone would know what's going on in her state and by whom it would be her. There's a reason Palin has a 90% approval rating in her state, which, by the way, is higher than any other governor's.

Just my $.02

Tara

:iagree:

I think Jedi said it well in her post, but I just wanted to copy SWB's rules for political posting:

Folks,

The majority of you thought political threads should be allowed between now and November. It wasn't a big majority, and if politics begins to take over the board I'll reconsider my decision. For right now, politics are OK. BUT READ THE FOLLLOWING FIRST.

Be polite and respectful.

Don't post links to inflammatory sites. I will remove those posts. I get to decide whether or not a site is inflammatory, and if you then complain on the boards about censorship, that's going to get censored too. Fair warning.

Use your ignore feature if some posters continually bother you.

Don't read threads that are likely to infuriate you.

Grow a thicker skin if you intend to post in political threads. People are going to disagree. Get over it.

IN SHORT:

Be grown ups.

But for those of you who may not exhibit grown-up behavior, be prewarned:

Ad hominem attacks (that's when you attack the person making the argument, rather than the argument itself) will result in an infraction for the first offense and a one-month ban for the second offense.

Insulting someone else's religious beliefs will result in an automatic one-month ban.

If we see that you've given negative reps to someone because of their political persuasion, you will be banned for one week. Second offenses may lead to a longer ban. (And if you get a negative rep, please don't email us. We review them as we're able. A negative rep won't kill you. Not everyone has to like you, after all. I speak with authority on this one.)

Reviving locked threads will result in at least a one-week ban. Maybe more.

Emailing the moderators to complain about your ban will receive no response. AT ALL. WE'RE NOT INTERESTED.

These draconian measures will be in place until after the election.

SWB

I don't think a yahoo.news article written by an AP reporter could be construed as an inflamatory site. There is an ignore feature, if Mom to Aly's posts annoy you, use it! Or just don't open her posts. Mom to Aly didn't make any ad hominem attacks in her post, the same can't be said of the responses.

SWB laid out clear guidelines and IMHO they're not very hard to follow. They really would prevent almost all the hurt feelings that can result from controversial threads.

I don't think a yahoo.news article written by an AP reporter could be construed as an inflamatory site. There is an ignore feature, if Mom to Aly's posts annoy you, use it! Or just don't open her posts. Mom to Aly didn't make any ad hominem attacks in her post, the same can't be said of the responses.

SWB laid out clear guidelines and IMHO they're not very hard to follow. They really would prevent almost all the hurt feelings that can result from controversial threads.

Nicely said. Thank you.

From what I see, Mom to Aly posted a link to a genuine news article about a topic that is clearly of interest to many people on this board. It seems to me that the ones who are behaving in a childish way are the ones who don't want anything negative said about "their" candidate and who will shout down anyone who dares to disagree with them.

As to the original topic, I have to quote the amazing Elvis Costello: I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
typo

As for me, I don't hate Palin personally. I think she is a corrupt moron and a zealot who has no place leading a PTA meeting much less this country. There is a big difference. I think George Bush is a moron but I don't hate him either. Palin put herself out there in the public eye. I have seen so many posts on here condemning Brittney Spears or other public figures on this board, but apparently Palin is hands off?

Funny, I feel the same way about Obama. Just different areas in which they are over zealous.

Sure, Mom to Aly is gleefully reporting on something that's embarrassing to someone she doesn't like.

And?

This is just how life works. When you have an adversarial political system, you have political adversaries. End of story.

Unlike some previous Palin-jabs that have been posted here, this one has the benefit of having some truth to it. Those are the kinds of punches you really gotta learn to roll with.

Chastise her for spreading irresponsible rumors if she does that. Send her to factcheck.org as needed. But don't fuss at her for not liking your candidate. She's allowed.

Sure, Mom to Aly is gleefully reporting on something that's embarrassing to someone she doesn't like.

But don't fuss at her for not liking your candidate. She's allowed.

Your words say it better, if she had left off the gleefully part to this post, then perhaps there could have been some political discussion, but the main point was to encourage others to gleefully share their dislikes of a candidate..I just think this forum is more than that, there may be other forums that can run rampant with such ramblings...but we try to be respectful..I don't think gleefully sharing her dislike for a candidate is respectful. I get very passionate about corruption, political issues but I never take it to the personal...I would never take glee in mocking Obama....I will strongly support my position on an issue but never call him some of the names folks have used on other candidates.

Tara

Your words say it better, if she had left off the gleefully part to this post, then perhaps there could have been some political discussion, but the main point was to encourage others to gleefully share their dislikes of a candidate..I just think this forum is more than that, there may be other forums that can run rampant with such ramblings...but we try to be respectful..I don't think gleefully sharing her dislike for a candidate is respectful. I get very passionate about corruption, political issues but I never take it to the personal...I would never take glee in mocking Obama....I will strongly support my position on an issue but never call him some of the names folks have used on other candidates.

Tara

Again, though, I don't see how posting a link to a legitimate news story, with a rather mild comment about being amused, equates to "gleefully sharing her dislike of a candidate" or "mocking" or "calling names."

Again, though, I don't see how posting a link to a legitimate news story, with a rather mild comment about being amused, equates to "gleefully sharing her dislike of a candidate" or "mocking" or "calling names."

If you take this post alone, you're quite right. But Mom to Aly as a history of "gleefully sharing her dislike" of Palin, and I think some people were just getting tired of it. This post alone is a link to a news article with a mild comment. But coming on the heels of some others, I can understand the reaction.

Not condoning either side or makinga judgment ... just giving some additional information as I see it.

The question is; should the Alaskan legislature be allowed to finish it's own work without outside interference? What about States Rights? We don't know what's really going on. Different Alaskans will give you different stories. I've read complete opposing views of Sarah Palin, from Alaskans, on these boards. My Alaskan friends, both republicans and democrats do not think she is qualified to run the country. Some of them agree with her views, but they do not disagree with her lack of experience.

And back to the subject at hand now that we have all played Lord of the Post :rolleyes:

From the article:

The report is also expected to focus on Palin's husband, Todd, who had extraordinary access to the governor's office and her top aides. Todd acknowledges calling and meeting over the course of many months with numerous senior government officials about Wooten, whom he described as a dangerous and unstable man who had threatened his family.

This is worrisome considering this woman would be a heartbeat away from the Presidency. I would be equally outraged if it were Michelle Obama, Jill Biden, or the spouse of any other candidate expecting "extraordinary access" to top aides. I wonder if anyone has asked Todd Palin what his "platform" would be the way they have with Mrs. Obama and Mrs. McCain?