Menu

Pencil Sharpeners - do you love yours?

The last big item on my buy list for this coming school year is a GOOD electric pencil sharpener. I am tired of trying to sharpen a ton of pencils at once with a manual one as it just makes my hands hurt too badly. I've gotten battery operated ones before and they normally conk out in a few months. 

Must-have criteria:

• Electric or battery operated
  • Works well to sharpen a bunch in a row {my method is to sharpen pencils about once a month in one go while watching TV}
  • Must be able to handle cute plastic wrapped pencils, as dd loves them. 
  • Needs to either be less than $10 in store OR any price if available on Amazon since I have gift cards for there. 

So - please tell me there is a decent sharpener out there!

We have this one (the School Smart Vertical Pencil Sharpener on Amazon) and it is awesome! It is pricey, but it has lasted us years. (We've tried cheaper ones in the past and they just broke down.) I think this is a worthwhile investment for a homeschooler!

• Like 1

Electric? That's kind of like the holy grail of the school supply world. Good, quality electric pencil sharpeners that last are very hard to find.

I can't speak to the one linked...but hey...it has great reviews so that's a plus!

I sharpen a lot of coloring pencils, which are notoriously difficult with electric sharpeners. I ended up throwing in the towel and bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/CARL-Angel-5-Pencil-Sharpener-Blue/dp/B005D7S9FI/ref=pd_sim_229_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41RlCEQakbL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=PKZG9X7Q9JFMBCQRMXSS

Best school supply purchase ever. Seriously, so good. One or two cranks and I have a sharp pencil. And although it's not perfect with my coloring pencils, it is so so much better than before. Easy to unjam!

So if you decide to throw in the towel with electric sharpeners...give this one a try. I think you'll love it!

• Like 3

I have a Royal P50 electric sharpener I got from Walmart for around $10.  Or maybe $15. I can't remember.  It wasn't too much though.  I sharpen all -- over 60 of our pencil crayons in one go (Crayola).  I have had one blade conk out on me and the company shipped me a whole new sharpener for free.  There is a lifetime warranty on the blades.  It isn't perfect though - one complaint is that if a lead breaks off in the machine, it can be a pain to get it out.  I haven't had trouble with the wraps on pencils, but the leads do tend to break more on them, so that is a issue. 

We have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KP110-Electric-Pencil-Sharpener/dp/B00005QT87/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1467843485&sr=8-3&keywords=panasonic+auto+stop+electronic+pencil+sharpener (check out the used price). 

DH got it as a gift from his grandfather when he was in grade school and it is STILL going strong. DH is 41 years old with his PhD. So it has been through a lot. Not sure about plastic wrapped pencils but it is a great sharpener with no issues. 

We have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KP110-Electric-Pencil-Sharpener/dp/B00005QT87/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1467843485&sr=8-3&keywords=panasonic+auto+stop+electronic+pencil+sharpener (check out the used price).

DH got it as a gift from his grandfather when he was in grade school and it is STILL going strong. DH is 41 years old with his PhD. So it has been through a lot. Not sure about plastic wrapped pencils but it is a great sharpener with no issues.

Dh brought one of those into our marriage. It was from 1987ish :D. It served us well until 2012 :).

We have an x-acto school pro electric pencil sharpener. I think I bought it 6-7 years ago. Still going strong and my daughter can sharpen her extensive colored pencil collection one after the other no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electric? That's kind of like the holy grail of the school supply world. Good, quality electric pencil sharpeners that last are very hard to find. I can't speak to the one linked...but hey...it has great reviews so that's a plus! I sharpen a lot of coloring pencils, which are notoriously difficult with electric sharpeners. I ended up throwing in the towel and bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/CARL-Angel-5-Pencil-Sharpener-Blue/dp/B005D7S9FI/ref=pd_sim_229_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41RlCEQakbL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=PKZG9X7Q9JFMBCQRMXSS Best school supply purchase ever. Seriously, so good. One or two cranks and I have a sharp pencil. And although it's not perfect with my coloring pencils, it is so so much better than before. Easy to unjam! So if you decide to throw in the towel with electric sharpeners...give this one a try. I think you'll love it!

I have the CARL and LOVE it!  It works so much better than an electrical sharpener I have ever owned.  I used a little handheld one for cheap pencils and colored pencils.  I don't believe those types of pencils should ever go in an electric or CARL. 

We have this one (the School Smart Vertical Pencil Sharpener on Amazon) and it is awesome! It is pricey, but it has lasted us years. (We've tried cheaper ones in the past and they just broke down.) I think this is a worthwhile investment for a homeschooler!

YES!  This one!  We have one too, and we love it!  I did a lot of research before buying, and had actually spent more money on a different brand from a big box store, but it was not good, and was immediately returned, then I ordered this one from Amazon, end of story.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Classroom Friendly Pencil Sharpener. I wrote my review almost 4 years ago and ours are still going strong and I'm still in love.

I wanted an electric one, too, but after the glowing reviews, we got this one a few years back and have never looked back. LOVE it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Electric? That's kind of like the holy grail of the school supply world. Good, quality electric pencil sharpeners that last are very hard to find. I can't speak to the one linked...but hey...it has great reviews so that's a plus!I sharpen a lot of coloring pencils, which are notoriously difficult with electric sharpeners. I ended up throwing in the towel and bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/CARL-Angel-5-Pencil-Sharpener-Blue/dp/B005D7S9FI/ref=pd_sim_229_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41RlCEQakbL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=PKZG9X7Q9JFMBCQRMXSSBest school supply purchase ever. Seriously, so good. One or two cranks and I have a sharp pencil. And although it's not perfect with my coloring pencils, it is so so much better than before. Easy to unjam! So if you decide to throw in the towel with electric sharpeners...give this one a try. I think you'll love it!

So you can clamp it to the table, or can you install it on the wall? I remember the suction cup kind coming loose when I was a kid, or do you hold with one hand and sharpen with the other? Is that something a child can manage?

So you can clamp it to the table, or can you install it on the wall? I remember the suction cup kind coming loose when I was a kid, or do you hold with one hand and sharpen with the other? Is that something a child can manage?

It does come with a clamp, but ours tends to migrate all over the house...usually wherever I am, it ends up, lol.  

My kids have had no problem using one hand to hold it while sharpening with the other.  The sharpener has a mechanism that locks (and draws) the pencil in as it sharpens it.  So you don't have to hold onto the pencil at all...just the sharpener.  

• Like 1