Menu

Good Grief. What Next?

fairfarmhand

Five vehicles in the driveway. My dd bought a Nissan Sentra this weekend and we were rejoicing that we had 2 reliable vehicles (her new car and my Impala) in good repair that the AIR CONDITIONER works and most everything is the way it should be.

The others are well...clunkers. The farm truck is reliable but not nice (no A/C) and the other car and minivan are not far from being shoved off a cliff

Today, I heard a thump as I was driving along in my Impala and the rear drivers side window flops down and won't go back up. Estimate at the repair shop was $550.

Two push mowers in the garage? Broken

Freezer in the garage? Broken

Tiller in the Garage? Broken

A/C on my dh's cab tractor? Broken.

Good grief. What on earth did we do to deserve this.

Fridge died.

Backup fridge in the basement started to die from the overload of the stuff upstairs.

Car window won't go down.

Toilet won't flush unless you hold the handle down extra long.

Water softener seems to be dead.

Car brakes needed to be fixed.

I think that's all right now. It's all blurring together.

We did get a new fridge today, so I can scratch that broken appliance off the list. There was a moment of disappointment when the delivery guys sheared off the water hose by accident coming in the door. But the guy stopped back at the house on his way home from work with a doo-dad to fix it.

I feel your pain.

Edited by Garga

Five vehicles in the driveway. My dd bought a Nissan Sentra this weekend and we were rejoicing that we had 2 reliable vehicles (her new car and my Impala) in good repair that the AIR CONDITIONER works and most everything is the way it should be.

The others are well...clunkers. The farm truck is reliable but not nice (no A/C) and the other car and minivan are not far from being shoved off a cliff

Today, I heard a thump as I was driving along in my Impala and the rear drivers side window flops down and won't go back up. Estimate at the repair shop was $550.

Two push mowers in the garage? Broken

Freezer in the garage? Broken

Tiller in the Garage? Broken

A/C on my dh's cab tractor? Broken.

Good grief. What on earth did we do to deserve this.

Our story with this is tech stuff. Laptop died. Printer died. iPad died. Functioning on a phone. Pls phone don't die.

Trouble is this was the year I was saving money by using free online resources. My kids education this year is mostly library books.

Fridge died.

Backup fridge in the basement started to die from the overload of the stuff upstairs.

Car window won't go down.

Toilet won't flush unless you hold the handle down extra long.

Water softener seems to be dead.

Car brakes needed to be fixed.

I think that's all right now. It's all blurring together.

We did get a new fridge today, so I can scratch that broken appliance off the list. There was a moment of disappointment when the delivery guys sheared off the water hose by accident coming in the door. But the guy stopped back at the house on his way home from work with a doo-dad to fix it.

I feel your pain.

Oh yeah my car windows are dying too. Thankfully the car is OK to drive though. And dh got a puncture in a brand new tyre yesterday.

And upon reading the news from Istanbul,my problems are not that big of a deal.

And my brother wasn't there for the attack so I'm okay.

So glad your brother is ok!!! Sorry about the other stuff. I always wonder who came up with "when it rains it pours". Our downstairs AC is shot...temps here last week were 114-116ish. We NEED AC :(

We're with you on vehicles. 

The diesel is dying--can't be replaced until the conservation easement goes through. The bull charged it and broke the main beam inside of the driver's door. After much hunting, sanding, painting, etc. it has a new door. Still needs to be replaced. It has 380,000 miles on it. 

Small pickup has 350,000 miles on it, Can't replace it until the conservation easement goes through. 

I just put 3,000 miles on my car in 3 weeks. And replaced the fuses in the AC, again. 

Dd's pickup just isn't big enough to pull her horse trailer. Bought "new" pickup this past week and hauled to the Alamosa rodeo. Tranny goes out. She's supposed to be in Greeley, hauling royalty, only the pickup isn't fixed yet. 

Dd's Toyota truck was bought used when she was at USNA. Now has 250,000 miles on it. Fortunately, she and her dh have two other vehicles. 

Oldest dd has her grandpa's car. It sat so long last summer in IN that the brakes rusted stuck. I hope it doesn't do that this summer. Her dh's Subaru needed work, but fortunately, my dh was able to work on it. My sil just brought us his mom's car, so at least we have a backup here for a few months. 

Ds's Blazer has 200,000 miles on it. He wanted to come home from Golden this weekend, but it's just so unreliable. He has to drive to Boulder twice a week this year for ROTC--i hope he makes it. 

And youngest dd's car has a 23yo Buick with 230,000 miles on it. She had a bonding moment with her cadre at AF--he has a 22yo Buick. 

Dh is commuting in his 16 wheel dump truck!

And all this leaves us with a 1964 Scout... 

I'd love to see pictures of these vehicles.

Yesterday, my dd was looking for ugly cars that her sister can drive. My oldest is convinced that her siblings need to drive clunkers for awhile like she did to build their "character." :)

We founnd a horrible 1984 rabbit....

We're with you on vehicles.

The diesel is dying--can't be replaced until the conservation easement goes through. The bull charged it and broke the main beam inside of the driver's door. After much hunting, sanding, painting, etc. it has a new door. Still needs to be replaced. It has 380,000 miles on it.

Small pickup has 350,000 miles on it, Can't replace it until the conservation easement goes through.

I just put 3,000 miles on my car in 3 weeks. And replaced the fuses in the AC, again.

Dd's pickup just isn't big enough to pull her horse trailer. Bought "new" pickup this past week and hauled to the Alamosa rodeo. Tranny goes out. She's supposed to be in Greeley, hauling royalty, only the pickup isn't fixed yet.

Dd's Toyota truck was bought used when she was at USNA. Now has 250,000 miles on it. Fortunately, she and her dh have two other vehicles.

Oldest dd has her grandpa's car. It sat so long last summer in IN that the brakes rusted stuck. I hope it doesn't do that this summer. Her dh's Subaru needed work, but fortunately, my dh was able to work on it. My sil just brought us his mom's car, so at least we have a backup here for a few months.

Ds's Blazer has 200,000 miles on it. He wanted to come home from Golden this weekend, but it's just so unreliable. He has to drive to Boulder twice a week this year for ROTC--i hope he makes it.

And youngest dd's car has a 23yo Buick with 230,000 miles on it. She had a bonding moment with her cadre at AF--he has a 22yo Buick.

Dh is commuting in his 16 wheel dump truck!

And all this leaves us with a 1964 Scout...

What's a conservation easement??

If you are patient, you can you tube the repair of that window and save yourself lots of $$$.

The labor to repair it is less than 100. The part is about 460!!!!

Going to look at junkyards and see if we can find a wrecked one.

We're at the point where we don't mind paying the 100 to have the man fix it, but 460 for the part is killer!