Menu

Manhattan in May 2009 -- what should NOT be missed?

We won a free trip to the Theater District for 3 nights. Needless to say, I am OVER THE MOON!! :)

We attended an auction for our local Christian Youth Theater on Sunday night (which our dd is part of). We bought 3 $100 raffle tickets for a chance to win the trip to NY.

Our package includes airfare, 5-star hotel in Times Square, 2 tickets for 2 Broadway shows. I requested Wicked and The Lion King.

What else should we do while we are there???

Thanks!

Wow! What a prize! I wish our CYT did something like that. No, I guess I really don't. I already spend enough for CYT and buying auction tickets just isn't in the budget.

We were in NYC this past May and in addition to what you already have planned, I might suggest a carriage ride through Central Park. Yes, it's cheesy but it's a good way to see and learn a lot about the park and the ride is the same price whether it's one person or the whole carriage is filled so load 'em up.

We also really enjoyed FAO Schwartz and other kid stores, walking through Chinatown, and dd loved having her face done at the MAC counter in Macy's (free!).

I was there watching our granddaughter while dd did some work at NYU so I was trying to keep baby girl on her schedule...if I hadn't been doing that, we'd have done a lot more.

Wow...cool prize!

We won a free trip to the Theater District for 3 nights. Needless to say, I am OVER THE MOON!! :)

We attended an auction for our local Christian Youth Theater on Sunday night (which our dd is part of). We bought 3 $100 raffle tickets for a chance to win the trip to NY.

Our package includes airfare, 5-star hotel in Times Square, 2 tickets for 2 Broadway shows. I requested Wicked and The Lion King.

What else should we do while we are there???

Thanks!

How fun! Do not be late for The Lion King. The beginning is beautiful!

The ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island is a great excursion. You will need prepurchased tickets to go up the Statue, but you can still walk around the island if you don't have them. Ellis Island was a really great trip.

Joey's Paesano in Little Italy. The baked ziti will make you cry.:crying:

We went to NYC a year and a half ago and we all agree it was the best family trip ever! We took the ferry around the Statue of Liberty at dusk, so it was illuminated on the way back-just beautiful, as well as the city skyline. You can't miss the Museum of Natural History (especially if you have a dinosaur lover-what a collection!) You could use all your time there. Also, the Metropolitan Museum of Art. My daughter had just read Chasing Vermeer, so we had to see all the museum had. It's a great place if you enjoy art. We walked through Central Park and the kids played on a playground there. I was impressed by how clean everything was. If you can, I'd suggest walking as much as possible. We saw a lot we would have missed and really got a feel for the city. Have a wonderful time-I'm jealous!

The Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Natural History are "suggested only" admission prices. If you are on a tight budget you can give what you want. The ferry ride to Staten Island and back is free. You can see the Statue of Liberty from there and enjoy the skyline of Manhatten. We love to wander China Town. Are all of you going? You'll have a great time.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art

:iagree:

When we go back to NY, we'll be taking our boys. We will plan to visit The Met over a number of days. It will be more expensive, sure, but the single day my husband and I spent there wasn't nearly enough.

As mentioned The Metropolitan Museum of Art (where you could spend the whole trip) is simply amazing and the Museum of Natural History should also not be missed.

The Frick Collection just off 5th Ave on E 70th St is a much less know museum, and a DO NOT MISS as far as I'm concerned. This was the private home of wealthy (understatement) steel industrialist Henry Clay Frick (known as America's most hated man"). What a window into a time when (some) people had real wealth. They have really restrictive policies on children visiting ("most hated" remember? :tongue_smilie:). What a place!

St Patricks Cathedral if you are on 5th Ave (in the 50s, a prime shopping area) do go into St Patrick's. It is a beautiful Cathedral, and the contrast of being on one of the world's most fashionable and busy shopping streets and then suddenly being in a quiet awe inspiring sanctuary is profound. Even ten minutes inside is restful.

The Guggenheim and the near-by International Center of Photography are well worth seeing.

PART 1

Edited by Spy Car

In the theater district area:

I love Ellen's Stardust Diner for lunch. It's loud and fun. The waitstaff take turns singing show tunes. They tell you to sing along so you can say you sang on Broadway (it's located at Broadway & 51st). :lol:

You HAVE TO see Time Square at night. It's amazing.

I have friends who have taken their young girls to the American Girl Place and have raved about the experience. The Toys R Us is fun too - a ferris wheel right in the store.

Some popular landmarks: Central Park, the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, Grand Central Station. I LOVE New York City!

Ooooh! My hometown!!! I grew up with a mom who was not from NY, so, unlike most NYer's, I have done every touristy thing a million times!

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island!

For museums--Natural History First! Then, out of the art ones, although the Museum of Art is fantastic, I prefer the Guggenheim and the kids will love the architecture--the Frick is amazing, but not child friendly, and with little ones, I'd beware. MOMA (Modern Art) is great with little ones if they aren't used to modern art, because you can go through and they can make fun of quite a lot and try to guess what things are (been there, done that, seriously!! ;) ).

Don't know if you will have a car, but BRONX ZOO!!!!!!!!!! And Botanical Gardens, but, really, BRONX ZOO!!!!!!!!! Guess you can get there by cab, might cost a fortune, or subway, I've only been there by car. But sooooo worth it!!!!!!!

Children's Museum is good, but had gotten really run down, from what I heard. I'd check if you are even considering it. But, seriously, I'd go to the BRONX ZOO!!! (Can you tell I love it????)

Carriage ride through Central Park is great, if you have the extra money--you'll always remember it, but I have no idea what it would cost now, and, unless I had a ton extra, I wouldn't do it.

There are a ton of amazing restaurants all over NY. I would NOT miss a slice of NY pizza--you have to do that while you are there. Where you go in, stand at a counter (you cannot sit), and ask for a slice--just ask for a slice, or you will look like a tourist!--they are HUGE! And wonderful! If you like a specific type of food, just look up what type, you will find amazing restaurants for it in NY.

If you "happen" to end up with an extra morning, Washington Square Park, in front of NYU (my alma mater :)), is wonderful, especially on a Sat--you can see some cool people, sometimes there are street fairs. It is nice. Soho on a weekend is cool, and will have vendors or street fairs. There is a "Little" everything there--Little Italy; Little India; Chinatown, etc. All are cool to go through.

St. Peter's is nice; Grace Church in the Village is great (Greenwich Village is wonderful in general--Washington Sq. Park and NYU are in the Village); St. Patricks is gorgeous.

All I can think of now. Hmm, I'm getting a little homesick now myself ;).

I know you'll have a wonderful time! Oh, and if you want to go to a dep't store, do Macy's, Herald Sq. You won't believe it!!

If you like Indian food and your budget has been busted, down on 3rd Ave are some amazing Indian places. A bit hole-in-the-wall-ish (although they have gotten fancier, from what I understand, that they were back in the day) but man can you eat well (and cheaply).

Getting hungry.

Have fun!!! Here are some ideas for you. My old stomping grounds were right there in Midtown on the westside!

If you're there on a Sunday (10 am 3pm and 6pm) or on a Tuesday (7pm), it is well worth a visit to Times Square church on 51st and Broadway in the old Mark Hellenger Theater. It's a multicultural congregation (100+ nationalities represented) and quite a worship experience. I can't vouch that all the doctrine will agree with yours (? they are interdenominational), but praise and worship is impressive (45 min to an hour and LIVELY. Plan to be there 2 hours).

Also, the Carnegie deli in that area (I think 59th and 7th) is really something. A sandwich will run you a pretty penny, but if you pay the fee to share, they'll bring extra bread. Three people can eat one sandwich. Be sure to get their cheese cake afterwards. Mmmmm

What else? Close to Times Square, you have Rockerfeller Center and Radio City Music Hall. Springtime in Central park is lovely. Walk up Sixth Avenue to Central Park and stop at Godiva (or Tiffany's) on the way! Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, Museum of Natural History, the MOMA, are all in Midtown, but more towards Uptown. Macy's is on 34th Street. (Fun!) Recommended: a three-hour circle line cruise or a big Apple hop on/hop off tour. You'll get a good overview that way. Oh, and if you don't have time to go to the Statue of Liberty (you need to reserve a ticket in advance of your trip--like now), a ride on the Staten Island Ferry is free and will take you right by Lady Liberty.

Others? Eat in Little Italy. Get a NY pizza, fold your slice and eat it as you walk! Eat a bagel from a street vendor at least once. (

a funny video about street vendors) If you don't do the Circle Cruise, make your way up to the Cloisters and see the Geo. Washington Bridge from the north. My favorite bridge is the Henry Hudson bridge, which you can see from the riverside in Ft Washington Park. It's a bit of a rough neighborhood, FYI, and is not as impressive as some other bridges. I just like it because it's in a beautiful spot and is a pleasant surprise to the eyes. :-) The Brooklyn Bridge is a nice walk on a sunny day.

This is way more than you can do in 3 days, but that's New York! I loved living there. DH and I courted on the number 1 and 9 subway line. :-)

HTH,

Susan

Wow, lots of great ideas!! I wish I was leaving today!

This gives me an awesome start to my research. I found our hotel on Google Earth (The Michelangelo) and I think it is across the street from the Stardust Diner. Very close to everything, except Ground Zero.

Than you all so much for your ideas!!

Wow, lots of great ideas!! I wish I was leaving today!

This gives me an awesome start to my research. I found our hotel on Google Earth (The Michelangelo) and I think it is across the street from the Stardust Diner. Very close to everything, except Ground Zero.

Than you all so much for your ideas!!

Advice. Get a map of Manhattan, especially one with the subway lines shown and start marking places you might like to visit. The island is remarkable compact, but there is so much to see you can't do it all in 3 days, but knowing that some of your wish list stops may only be a short walk away from one another can really help maximize the trip.

Wear comfortable walking shoes, because if you do this right, you may never walk so much in your life. It is a great city to cover on foot.

But when you do need do get up or downtown fast the subways are a good way to cover a lot of ground, and a part of the New York experience that shouldn't be missed.

Bill

One of my favorite things we did in NYC was to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge at sunset towards Manhattan. We took the subway to the Brooklyn side and then walked across. It was so gorgeous and you get a breathtaking view of the city and you can watch all the lights come on and see the Statue of Liberty in the distance. It was a very fun memory and it felt very safe.

Zabars at 80th and Broadway, amazing gourmet food emporium (near where you are staying) a must visit if you are a "foodie".

Oh, Zabars is awesome! The food looks so perfect that it almost doesn't even look real. We bought fruit and bread to take back to our apartment and it was devoured in minutes.

• 6 months later...
Zabars at 80th and Broadway, amazing gourmet food emporium (near where you are staying) a must visit if you are a "foodie".

Dh remembered Zabars from when he was in college and visited NYC fairly frequently with a friend. On my first visit we were looking for it but he couldn't remember the exact location, only that it was near where his friend had lived. We stopped and asked a guy on the street if he knew where Zabars was. He looked at us very strangely and said "Gay Bars? Not sure...." :lol:

What I enjoyed the most about New York the times we went was just walking through the city. It's great to get a feel of the different neighborhoods and different personalities. Lots of people watching and window shopping.

I also really enjoyed the Metropolitan Museum. Even coming from a city with great museums, it was worth it.

How fun!

My personal NYC favorites include brunch or tea at Popover Cafe on the Upper West Side (Amsterdam Ave) as well as a stop at Zabars. A delight is in store if time allows you to venture to the northern end of Manhattan to The Cloisters, the medieval museum operated by the Met. One is completely transported to another time and place. But it is very un-New York--something you may not want on this visit if you would prefer to immerse yourself in The City.

Whatever you do share be fun, Beth. Walk around and enjoy!

Jane

Metropolitan Museum of Art is a whole day must.

Shopping on 5th Ave. - don't miss Tiffany's and inside Trump Tower there is a 6 story waterfall which is kind of cool. There is also a ferris wheel in the Times Square Toys R Us. Just FYI. If you go to St. Patricks walk up behind the altar and look back at the gorgeous round stained glass window.

Dh remembered Zabars from when he was in college and visited NYC fairly frequently with a friend. On my first visit we were looking for it but he couldn't remember the exact location, only that it was near where his friend had lived. We stopped and asked a guy on the street if he knew where Zabars was. He looked at us very strangely and said "Gay Bars? Not sure...." :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

He was obviously not a New Yorker :D

Bill

UPDATE on itinerary. How does this look?

Travel Day arrive 4:30 pm.

Check in, unpack and then start walking the city.

Day 1:

double-decker bus ride, Statue of Liberty boat ride, Ellis Island, Wall Street, Empire State building, shopping, Times Square at Night

Day 2:

The Met in the morning

Show in the afternoon

Dinner at Times Square

Day 3:

MOMA in the morning

Show in the afternoon

walk around/ shopping

Day 4:

Nat History Museum

St. Patricks

walking/shopping

Day 5:

not sure

Day 6:

Fly home...

Edited by Beth in SW WA
updated my schedule

You cut the Frick, which (while an admittedly idiosyncratic choice on my part) made such an impression on me during my short visit that I can still move though its space in my mind.

To enter this once-private-home, a rarified place of tranquility and understated opulence is such a shock to the senses after being on the streets of Manhattan that I'd urge you not to miss it. Even if you give it one-hour, I think the Frick will haunt you dream-state thereafter.

And when you read Edith Wharton you'll have a new mental picture of that life at its highest.

Just saying :D

Bill