Menu

Wanting to do some "school." Help me brainstorm?

Jenny in Florida

In my family, we often say that we have "itchy fingers" when we're feeling like doing some kind of craft or making something with our hands.

For the last few months (basically, since I settled into my new job), I've had "itchy brain." I really, really want to do something school-like for myself.

Some quick background:

• I have a 30-year-old B.A., in English.
  • Graduate school is not an option, for a variety of reasons. (Please just take my word for this one?)
  • I've done a bunch of Coursera classes and similar MOOCs and enjoyed them, but really want something a little more formal and rigorous.
  • I would like to come out the other side with some kind of recognizable credential that might be of some use to me in developing my "encore" career.
  • Although I would like there to be some potential career-related value to this project, it's also doing something interesting and rewarding for myself.
  • It needs to be done on the relative cheap. 

At the moment, my leading idea is to complete a technical certificate in instructional design from a local community college. My professional background (pre-kids) is mostly in technical writing and editing, and I currently work as a technology trainer in our county library system. One aspect of my job as a trainer is to propose and help develop new classes. So, while such a credential isn't necessary to getting or doing the job, there is a tie-in there. The certificate requires five or six courses, one of which I could CLEP. All of the work is done online, and the tuition at community college rates is reasonable.

So, that's an option.

The stumbling block is that I'm still working on getting my student loans out of default. I'm making payments, and the rehabilitation is in progress, but I won't be able to pry my transcripts out of the university from which I earned my B.A. in time to start in the fall semester. I'd really like to get started on something soon.

I've also looked at some non-college based courses and certifcation programs for professional trainers, some of which look interesting. However, they are about as expensive as doing the entire technical certificate and last no more than a few weeks.

Because I do hope to stay with the library until retirement, I'd like to focus on education and credentials that are related to training, adult education, technology and/or libraries.

So, thoughts? Inspirations? Rabbit trails I can research?

Unless you owe the university money they should not be holding your transcripts.

Actually, there is a federal law that permits universities to withhold transcripts when graduates are in default on student loans. My university has opted to do so.

Unless there is a requirement of an undergraduate degree for the CC program, they won't need trascripts, afaik.

Are you sure that the community college will require your transcript? I would call and talk to an admissions counselor if you haven't. CCs are supposed to be all about removing obstacles. 

Yes, they require me to submit transcripts from every college I have attended. I checked.

Are you sure that the community college will require your transcript? I would call and talk to an admissions counselor if you haven't. CCs are supposed to be all about removing obstacles. 

Write a book.

Good one! Depending in the book, a lot of time and energy can be used up on research for the book and "itchy brain" will be scratched in the research process.

Bonus - income from book sales vs. paying for classes/loans at the end.

Interesting thought, but not what I'm "itching" for at the moment. I really miss the academic experience. I get a dopamine hit from a good grade.

While you are freeing up your transcript, could you take a few of the classes required for the certificate as an occasional student (not matriculated, no major or program), and then sign up for the certificate program and transfer in your classes later?

Could you trade tutoring with someone? You teach them something and they teach you something?

Could you research something and get a paper published?

Could you find an apprenticeship of some sort?

Nan

While you are freeing up your transcript, could you take a few of the classes required for the certificate as an occasional student (not matriculated, no major or program), and then sign up for the certificate program and transfer in your classes later?

Could you trade tutoring with someone? You teach them something and they teach you something?

Could you research something and get a paper published?

Could you find an apprenticeship of some sort?

Nan

The community college requires that I be admitted to the school in order to take classes, and they will not admit me without transcripts unless I lie and say I have never attended college at all. I am not willing to do that. So, no, even as a transient/occasional/non-matriculated student, I can't enroll without the transcripts.

As I said, that is in progress. I should have access within a few months, but not in time to enroll for the fall.

I could possibly do any of those other things, but I'm looking for something more formal, structured and academic. (Plus, I honestly don't want to add any more tutoring to my schedule. As an introvert, the amount of time I already spend teaching other people is about as much as I can take on a regular basis.)

Since many instructional design programs have strong elements of technology, could you take a programming or coding course of some sorts? You should be able to find such classes available online through places that wouldn't require transcripts.

If that isn't in your interest or budget, are there any relevant adult Ed classes in your area, possibly offered through the public school district or library? You wouldn't get college credit, but usually those types of classes are inexpensive. Such a class might be good on a resume or in job interviews down the road, as many ID jobs are dealing with adult learners. It would be great to have that experience on the other side, as a student in a non-college adult learning environment.