Menu

Curriculum: What are you ready to burn?

I was happy with most of my choices for this year. We did dump Sing a Song of Seasons not far in: DS hated the singing voice on the CD, kind of a sticking point since I can't sight-sing.

However, we  stuck with Spanish for Children Primer A, crawling through the first sixteen lessons in forty weeks. Now I am so, so glad to be done with that (and wish I'd bought from the beginning the program I've found for next year).

I'm hoping DS will start to like Spanish after two years of... not. (La Clase Divertida was not for us either.)

What about you? Is there something you or your DC will rejoice in being free of?

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 2

Argh! I just bought SFC! So what did you buy to replace it?

Descubre el Español, level C, from Santillana. It looks much more like what I was hoping for when I ordered SFC.

Some people do like SFC, though.

Celery finished Toe by Toe (phonics) last week, and the thought of ceremoniously burning it did cross my mind. He started it in July 2013, worked until we hit a wall (when the words were getting way too hard for a 1st grader, as in, he didn't have a clue what most of the words meant), and then picked it up again this school year sort of starting it over, and now we're finally done. It's a book you write in (well, put a whole lot of checkmarks in), and it's been used so much that it's starting to come close to falling apart, so it's not something to sell/give away, but I'm not sure I want to actually toss/burn it - I do still have a younger kid. Younger kid doesn't seem to have as many challenges as older kid does though, so I'm not sure I even need a phonics program for him - he reads way above grade level and seems to have a decent grasp of phonics (his cornea got scratched half a year ago and he read the word 'ophthalmology' just fine when we were at the hospital for the follow-up, so I think we're good). Burning it probably just weirds me out a little, like it might cause the learning to go up in smoke with it, lol.

• Like 2

We disliked SFC A, too. It didn't give us enough practice and threw too much at us at once. But, it has some good grammar in there. Dd could have used it for review after high school Spanish 1. Didn't burn it.

Want to burn 100 Easy Lessons, but last kid insists I can't. I used it with all 5 and it has fallen apart. It certainly took more than 100 lessons and most weren't easy. I just wanted to burn it to celebrate, but I didn't.

I have only hated MegaWords and the A Child's Geography book that I used as part of earth science.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

My DS would have gladly burned Saxon 7/6 if it hadn't belonged to a friend and we were just borrowing it.

Apologia swimming creatures on our very 1st day of hs'ing went on the toss pile after the very 1st lesson (it sounds soooooo different when read aloud than when reading it in your head on the screen!), but it has too high of a resale value to burn lol

• Like 1

My kids would probably burn climbing to good Englsh if I let them. Lol. I wish it worked for them because I like it, it's easy to use. Some days I want to stop driving myself crazy trying to piecemeal together a perfect-for-us CM LA plan and just use CtGE again. At least it got done and I knew everything was covered.