Menu

Nightshirts? Ones that are not see through but not super long?

ktgrok

I'm looking for some night shirts. Something that isn't super long, as it is hot here plus I'm only a bit over 5 feet tall. The ones I've found are so thin that you can see my um, headlights, through them if you know what I mean. Which wouldn't be a huge problem, but I have a teen boy in the house, and I'm trying not to embarrass either of us. I'd prefer ones without silly sayings or anything. Any thoughts? 

For a little more "headlight" coverage, I like a woven night shirt rather than a knit shirt.  I haven't seen any this year, though.  In the past I have seen button up woven night shirts that look like a slightly longer man's dress shirt.  

I have a black shorter-than-knee-length knit nightgown from Target that I like okay.  I don't love it, but it's okay.  There's something about wearing knit that makes me sweaty in the high humidity.

Just throwing on a robe would be a pain, because it is hot here and I like to walk around in my night clothes a lot, lol. 

I like the comfort of my husband's XL undershirts, but they are a tiny bit too short, and yeah, a bit see through. Not bad, and I have been wearing them, but something a bit more attractive than my husband's undershirts might be nice, at least for him :) Regular men's shirts probably not much better. Plus I am picky that the neck isn't too high on my neck, crew neck shirts often are. 

I'll check Kohls, that's a good idea. Haven't looked there yet. 

Yeah, my headlights point at the ground now, but I have decided I don't care about that. 

Lands end! This year's new blue with polka dot print has good coverage, not see thru at all:) I got it for the same exact reason- teen son.

I prefer the longer one though, I'm tall & the short version I need to wear shorts with walking around the house.

The dark pink is not see through either, but the pastels are. During the winter months, they carry darker colors, plum, red, etc.

Best nightgowns ever!

Edited by Hilltopmom

I like the ones from LL Bean. Soft and comfortable. I have one from Life is Good that is soft and comfortable, but it is thinner than LLBean's.

But I like mine to be 100% cotton. I cannot stand polyester.

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1

I have one from Lands End that I love.  In fact, I need to order a new one because it's falling apart under the arms, but it is probably 8 years old.  I just looked, and it's this knee-length night shirt (NOT the mid-calf one, which I think is a lot longer than what you are looking for).  

This is what I have, but I did get the mid-calf one, because I use the fabric to curl up into when I get cold.  But this is definitely not see-through.  I recommend getting a pattern one, as that disguises better than the solids.  

I have the same issues you do, Katie, and I found this one last year:  Nautica chemise

It's a medium weight, soft, dark navy, and not see-through (like it appears on the model!). I can wear size medium in a lot of things, but this one seems cut a bit narrow so I got the large and I love it--loose enough w/out being baggy. The v-neck is cut well, too.

Here's a similar one:  Nautica on Amazon

Lands end! This year's new blue with polka dot print has good coverage, not see thru at all:) I got it for the same exact reason- teen son.

I prefer the longer one though, I'm tall & the short version I need to wear shorts with walking around the house.

The dark pink is not see through either, but the pastels are. During the winter months, they carry darker colors, plum, red, etc.

Best nightgowns ever!

Yes, Lands End ones are nice and thick, of varying lengths. Soma has the same only in cuter/more elegant prints.

Just throwing on a robe would be a pain, because it is hot here and I like to walk around in my night clothes a lot, lol. 

I like the comfort of my husband's XL undershirts, but they are a tiny bit too short, and yeah, a bit see through. Not bad, and I have been wearing them, but something a bit more attractive than my husband's undershirts might be nice, at least for him :) Regular men's shirts probably not much better. Plus I am picky that the neck isn't too high on my neck, crew neck shirts often are. 

I'll check Kohls, that's a good idea. Haven't looked there yet. 

Yeah, my headlights point at the ground now, but I have decided I don't care about that. 

The Vera Wang ones are cute and comfy. A few Croft & Barrow ones aren't bad, but some look very granny, which is probably not what you're going for. Torrid has some fun things too, and they go down to a 0 or 00 which is a L and M. They run wider than the misses L and M, which is nice for generous chests.