Menu

Anyone use Republic Wireless?

TammyS

So, dh, 17yo, and I all have Tracfones.  We got cheap phones with triple minutes.  We're pretty low volume users, so this works for us.

DS is going to college across country in the fall, so I thought it might be nice to have phones that we can use a little more freely.  I looked into the big carriers and they $$ is just :svengo: .

Then I found Republic Wireless, which has (among others) plans that are $10 unlimited talk/text, no data (there are options to buy data as needed, but we aren't data users, with Comcast we have wifi hotspots pretty much wherever we go).  This looks like a great deal to me.  So I'm just wondering if there is anyone else who has used Republic Wireless? 

We've had it for over a 18 months and have been very happy. I am surprised to read upthread that she'd purchased a phone off eBay, because my understanding was we had to purchase through Republic. 

Last summer my phone died (it wouldn't cycle through startup), and I was very easily able to return it for a new phone. 

We occasionally have weird issues with calls over WiFi - sometimes the phone won't ring but will let me know I have a missed call and message. Sometimes, the phone won't dial out. This happens only when I'm in a weird Wi-Fi spot (the airport was the last time it happened). 

I have had it for a few months and love it. My brother and sil have been using it for a few years and love it and have no complaints. I bought my phone used on eBay from a reputable seller which cut the upfront cost by 40%

Interesting.  Mind linking to the phone/seller you got?  Right now it seems like they only have two phones on their site.  Did you get one of those, or something else?

We've had it for over a 18 months and have been very happy. I am surprised to read upthread that she'd purchased a phone off eBay, because my understanding was we had to purchase through Republic.

Last summer my phone died (it wouldn't cycle through startup), and I was very easily able to return it for a new phone.

We occasionally have weird issues with calls over WiFi - sometimes the phone won't ring but will let me know I have a missed call and message. Sometimes, the phone won't dial out. This happens only when I'm in a weird Wi-Fi spot (the airport was the last time it happened).

You have to buy a specific type of phone that are specifically for republic Wireless's system but used ones are out there. And it is easy to get a used one activated. You just have to make sure it is a republic Wireless phone.

• Like 1

http://m.ebay.com/itm/SCORCHING-REPUBLIC-WIRELESS-BLACK-MOTOROLA-MOTO-G-8GB-1ST-GEN-SMARTPHONE-/282037264255?nav=SEARCH

This is a link to a product being sold by bonfireradios, the eBay seller I purchased from. I've purchased 2 moto G's from them. Their customer service has been great. The first time I bought a phone it wouldn't charge. They were quick to send out a new one, along with a complimentary case for the inconvenience at no costs to me like return shipping.

The 3 phones, 2 I have and the 1 that was broken when it arrived, were in like new condition appearance wise even though 1 was not listed as like new condition but simply very good condition.

• Like 1

My kids both have Republic Wireless phones, and we have a spare that we use as a "house phone" or for when someone can't find their phone or or forgot to charge it. I've been very happy with them. I wasn't willing to give up my iPhone, so I use Ting instead, which is similar to Republic.

I know that Republic is changing up their plans in the next month or so and they will be introducing a lot of new phones as well (plus I think you'll be able to bring your old phone, with some caveats). I also think I read that they were going to phase out the $10 plans, although existing plans would be grandfathered in (that's what we have on all 3 phones). So I would check with them when all the new changes will take effect.

My dd and I have used Republic Wireless for two years now. Sometimes I have problems with using the phone as a phone, although their last update seemed to fix that problem. The other problem that I used to have that the newest update seemed to fix too is texts going through when the connection would switch from wifi to cell, which happened in neighborhoods.

My kids prefer Apple phones, so my other kids are waiting for dd and I to get new phones and move over to Cricket because they have a family plan that is cheaper for all four us to be on. I pay about the same through Republic Wireless (within a dollar or so) as my ds for a comparable pay as you go plan with Cricket. However, Cricket offers a discount for multiple phones whereas Republic Wireless doesn't, at least that I know of.

I've had Republic Wireless for over 2 years now. The only problem I've had is it sometimes drops calls switching from Wifi to cell coverage - but I've only noticed this if I'm talking on the phone and drive away from home!

I did notice recently that when I switched plans for my oldest's phone that the switch doesn't actually happen until the next billing cycle hits. That is a bummer as it used to be within 24 hours. But now that I know that, I can work around it.

• Like 1

I had it for a couple of months.  It worked very well.  I even got reception at the Grand Canyon when no one else in my party did (roams on Verizon).

RW now allows you to buy used phones that have been prior RW phones and re-activate.  

I got rid of it because I wanted my iPhone back.   :glare:   Yup, 'tis true.

I don't have experience with republic but I have cricket that another pp mentioned. The discounts are good and allow up to 5 phones on an account.

I would also consider freedompop if yo don't need data. It requires use of specific phones but the free plan works if you have low phone usage. It includes free calls to other freedompop phones so if you don't call other people often you could have phones to call each other free.

I have RW and love it! My bill is usually less than $17.50/month, as they refund you for data that you don't use at the end of the month. You don't need to buy data if you are around wifi. I mostly use the wifi in my house (and in Target).

They are adding 7 new phones to their line-up in July (buy from them, or bring your own). Of course, they will support the old phones forever, even the flip phones.

The last update really took care of any dropped call/lost text issues that I had had previously. The customer service is fantastic, too!

FWIW, my husband and oldest son are using PagePlus cellular, and each pay $30/month for their plans. I'm trying to get them to switch, but no one here likes change. :lol:  PagePlus will work with any Verizon Wireless phone, (non-data, android, and iphone). They have some cheaper plans, too.

Good luck choosing a phone company.

I have had Republic Wireless for about a year and a half and have been very pleased with the service.  I bought a Moto G phone and have the $25/month plan ($30 with taxes).  No issues with dropped calls.   I recently got an email saying that they were eliminating their roaming service, which is a bit of a bummer, but I only used that very occasionally when we went to the mountains.  

The only other minor dissatisfaction is that they don't have any kind of international service, so when I traveled to Canada I could not get or receive texts.  The service would not be good for someone who traveled internationally often, though.