Menu

How Can I Freeze Food if I DON'T Want to Use Plastic Bags?

What kinds of things are you talking about?

I use Pyrex glass rectangular dishes for freezing because they stack well, can go from freezer to oven and store well in a drawer. They come in small, medium and large. The large holds 11 cups so it is a good size for full meals (five people family here).

I even use the containers to freeze desserts like Costco's fruit pie or cheesecake, that is too big for us to eat in a couple of days. I slice it into pieces and then freeze the slices in the container. Then I can pull out a few slices at a time when I want some.

If you are talking about a ham, then I would use foil.

If I have a large piece of meat, I usually cube it and then freeze it so I can grab out a handful when I need it.

I use glass containers for leftovers, but what about things that won't fit in them? Any ideas?

Thanks!

I rarely use plastic bags--just for chickens and turkeys. I use the plastic freezer boxes that are sold in any canning dept. They are made for stacking in the freezer--the pints and quarts all stack together easily.

Jean

Oh! I hadn't thought of mason jars! That will work for sauces, etc.

I'm trying to freeze a bunch of healthy snack things to feed my competitive swimmers between meals. I'm thinking of doing a bunch of baking and cooking, then freezing it in small portions.

So, I need ideas for freezing things like muffins, fench toast, etc.

I do not want to use plastic freezer bags or plastic containers. Would freezer paper work for flat things like french toast, homemade burritos, etc? Or would too much air get in and dry it out?

Just curious why you don't want to use plastic bags - for the sake of reducing waste? or has it now been discovered that freezing food in plastic causes toxic reactions?

I've been reading a lot about bisphenol A and phthalates in plastic and am trying to avoid as much contact with our food as possible. ( I know that in today's world, it's nearly impossible to avoid food stored in plastic, but I'm doing what I can.)

The boys had glass water bottles in the fridge, and sigg bottle for "on the go." I store leftovers in glass containers, and am trying to freeze things in glass as well.

I don't want to become the "Phthalate Nazi", so I'm just trying to take reasonable steps where I can. :)

I've been reading a lot about bisphenol A and phthalates in plastic and am trying to avoid as much contact with our food as possible. ( I know that in today's world, it's nearly impossible to avoid food stored in plastic, but I'm doing what I can.)

The boys had glass water bottles in the fridge, and sigg bottle for "on the go." I store leftovers in glass containers, and am trying to freeze things in glass as well.

I don't want to become the "Phthalate Nazi", so I'm just trying to take reasonable steps where I can. :)

something you might want to consider is wrapping in paper and then sealing it in plastic [like those vacuum pack machines or ziploc bags]. That would give you the protection of plastic and eliminate the contact.

There are also square gallon-size glass jars w/ wide-mouth metal lids at WalMart for four bucks ;)

I use the plastic containers from Ball--I have a prob with my canning jars breaking (I think my freezer is too cold?). I really like the plastic freezing containers from Ball, they are really cheap and last forever, and I have them in all diff sizes. I've had some for more than 10 years, and they are still great, and, like I said, REALLY CHEAP!!!!

Keep in mind that most (all? I don't know) freezer paper is actually plastic coated, so if you're trying to avoid plastic I'm not sure what you would think about that complexity.

I'm right there with ya--trying to avoid plastic and it is HARD. Right now I save Cool Whip containers (or rather, my mom saves them FOR me..she eats tons of the stuff and we eat almost none) and I freeze some things in them. Probably not the best, but using Mason jars is not really practical for me and I don't know what else to do.

eta: I use the cool whip containers for freezing peaches, pumpkin, applesauce, etc. I do use plastic bags for chicken (we butcher our own), green beans, and other things that may not fit in small containers.

Edited by Faline