Menu

Another reason to be glad...

Meh. The school stated that, due to problems they've had in the past, they have a clear policy that no toy guns, of any kind, are allowed at school. The girl brought a bubble gun and was sent home for the day — just that one day. Bummer for the mom if she had to take the rest of the day off work, but I guess she'll check her daughter's backpack from now on.

There are a million reasons why I'm glad I homeschool; this one doesn't make the list.

whoa. I was a real tyrant about no weapons in my house until youngest was close to 10 but jeez, that doesn't even really look like a weapon at all. The little wand things that come with the toy cash registers look sort of like that. How absurd. 

& I can't believe they would suspend a kindergartener. I really think suspension should be removed from the toolbox of schools - esp. public schools.  

• Like 1

whoa. I was a real tyrant about no weapons in my house until youngest was close to 10 but jeez, that doesn't even really look like a weapon at all. The little wand things that come with the toy cash registers look sort of like that. How absurd. 

& I can't believe they would suspend a kindergartener. I really think suspension should be removed from the toolbox of schools - esp. public schools.  

Oh, come on, hornblower.  If you can't ostracize and label a 5-year-old, whom can you ostracize and label? Next thing you know, you'll be asking for effective punishment strategies.  Sheesh. :001_rolleyes:

• Like 2

Why can't they just take away the bubble gun for the day and return it to her when she goes home, along with a warning note to the parents?  Seriously, she's a kindergartner with a bubble gun.  WTH?  

And for those who are saying this isn't really a suspension, the school is calling it a suspension and has indicated this is on her permanent record.  Why?  The policy states a "reasonable facsimile of a weapon".   Is a bubble gun that states "Frozen" on the side a reasonable facsimile of a gun?  The wording was supposed to be to prevent fake guns that actually look more like guns from getting into the school.  Just take the stupid thing away, ask her not to bring it again, send it home at the end of the day with a note to the parents and be done with it.

This is stupid.

• Like 5

Why can't they just take away the bubble gun for the day and return it to her when she goes home, along with a warning note to the parents?  Seriously, she's a kindergartner with a bubble gun.  WTH?  

And for those who are saying this isn't really a suspension, the school is calling it a suspension and has indicated this is on her permanent record.  Why?  The policy states a "reasonable facsimile of a weapon".   Is a bubble gun that states "Frozen" on the side a reasonable facsimile of a gun?  The wording was supposed to be to prevent fake guns that actually look more like guns from getting into the school.  Just take the stupid thing away, ask her not to bring it again, send it home at the end of the day with a note to the parents and be done with it.

This is stupid.

I totally agree; the whole situation is asinine.  Again, these are professional educators, the experts whom we are supposed to respect and fund ever-more-lavishly and to whom we should entrust our children.  Yeah?  NO.

Meh, I'm on the schools side. It was a day. She will live. And parents will take the no guns at school rule (a legitimate rule imo) seriously.

I remember being sent home for the remainder of the day in 3rd grade for bringing pongs. Anyone remember those little trading disks? It was "distracting to students" and "promoted gambling". I was mad because they were NOT returned to me. Mom was made because she had to leave work. We both learned a lesson.

The context on this one is hard to know for sure. In general, yeah, bad. But I've been in the position of the school getting backed in a corner where a kid or a group just keeps bringing the distracting thing or doing the distracting behavior and you have to finally draw a line in the sand about it.

If it was over zero tolerance or "guns" or something and there was no lead up, yeah, just take the toy away and give them a stern warning though. That's easier on everyone.

So what happens when a parent simply refuses to pick the kids up? I mean really it's a toy and the girl is in kindergarten. I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time not laughing at the administrator on the phone and telling them to stop wasting my time.

• Like 4

Lack of flexibility and the blind across the board implementation of zero tolerance policies, regardless of age and circumstance, is harmful, not helpful.  Will sending this child home from kindergarten for one day cause irreparable damage?  I doubt it.  Honestly, probably not (although having an official suspension on her school record could have negative ramifications later on and if teachers/administrators start seeing her even subconsciously as a trouble maker that, too, could have long term negative consequences).  It is the apparent trend across the country of blind implementation of extremely rigid policies and the message behind sending this 5 year old child home that is so concerning to me.  

• Like 1

As is the story is ridiculous assuming it was all that happened. Possibly there's a back history of kid bringing toys to school and parents not backing up requests about it or something. In which case the inconvenience of picking the kid up might be what it takes to get the parents on board.

In the big scheme of things I don't think getting suspended for bringing a bubble gun to school will impact on the cv much. It might even get you the job 😆

Meanwhile, in dd's high school they recently had a career dress up day for seniors. She came home surprised at the number of toy guns that were allowed in holsters due to cop or other uniforms. I also thought most places wouldn't allow that but it's evidently not true.

While expulsion may not have happened, finger weapons have already been punished. See the kid who got suspended for two days for chewing his pop tart into the shape of a gun and thought it was cool.

Which is yet another example of blind, rigid application of rigid rules instead of having the ability to judge the actual child and the actual situation happening right in front of them...

Are all schools like this?  No, thankfully.  And there are a lot of really good public schools out there.  And not every kid thrives as a homeschooler.  In fact, many kids do well in a brick and mortar setting.

This kind of rigid thinking and application, though, are concerning to me.