Menu

"Apple Stole my Music"

Kathryn

Wow, thanks for posting that.  Dh is a composer and performer and has lots of his own music on his Mac.  I don't think he signed up for Apple Music, but I sent him that as a warning to back-up and be careful.  iTunes feels like it takes over the computer anyway, so it wouldn't surprise me if it implemented that "feature" someday, too.

Apple is not stealing your music.  There are definitely problems but it is not deleting your stuff without your permission.   Plus, I think the author was kind of obnoxious for not being upfront that he had a backup.  The real point is that you should be backing up your stuff regardless of itunes.

http://www.imore.com/no-apple-music-not-deleting-tracks-your-hard-drive-unless-you-tell-it

• Like 1

https://blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/

Wow, what is the possible justification for deleting a user's already-owned files?

In part I think it's wrapped up in copyright - if it's not an authorized version (in other words, it's a pirated version), then Apple may have some liability if they host it and serve it to you.  

If you read it carefully, the early info about iCloud did make it clear that they would do this - I haven't kept up with it so I don't know if they are still clear about how iCloud works.  

Apple is not stealing your music. There are definitely problems but it is not deleting your stuff without your permission. Plus, I think the author was kind of obnoxious for not being upfront that he had a backup. The real point is that you should be backing up your stuff regardless of itunes.

http://www.imore.com/no-apple-music-not-deleting-tracks-your-hard-drive-unless-you-tell-it

This. I have a friend who works for Apple. She says this is usually happening because people click OK without carefully reading first.

• Like 1

I didn't sign up for Apple Music, yet they deleted files from my iTunes. They also copied files - I have two and three copies of many songs now. I'm not paying for Apple Music. I'll just rip the CD's again. 

I sent this to my husband, and he said it sounds like a case of not fully understanding how iTunes Match (now Apple Music) works. We've used Match for years (definitely not without issues), and he said that when we set it up it he remembers having to delete the files or create another library. We have several iTunes libraries on both computer and external hard drives. Not all of them use Match. 

It's been great for having cloud access to our music without using up storage on phones, but it also means I can't access audiobooks I've purchased via iTunes. :/

• Like 2

This. I have a friend who works for Apple. She says this is usually happening because people click OK without carefully reading first.

I think the length of license agreements (especially with ALL CAPITAL LETTERS THAT ARE HARD TO READ) is out of control. I think the longest I've seen was 57 pages! Seriously, that is probably about as long, maybe even longer, than all the documents we had to sign at our mortgage closing, when I took 1-2 hours to read/skim everything. It is not reasonable to expect people to read that many pages every time they update their software or install a program that costs way less than a doorknob to a house. I say this as someone who thinks people need to read contracts.

• Like 7

My iPad will no longer sync files ripped from CDs (or that were recorded by me and transferred over) since a couple of iTunes updates ago. I can add them to playlists and stream them-but not actually download them to listen to off wi-fi. DD11 is going to a summer program where she can take a music player, but not a phone or anything connected to the internet. We'd planned to load up an old iPod for her with just iTunes and the camera working-and if we can't download ripped CDs, there's no point.

The next time I need to replace a device, it won't be with an apple device. Those playlists are required for me to be able to teach classes, camps, etc, and they include a lot of files from CDs (thousands of CDs), as well as quite a lot I've created for class situations. My windows phone has no such limits-but also doesn't have as good of sound quality.

• Like 2

Although I have an iphone, an ipod, and a Mac laptop, I gave up on itunes years ago. It's seriously the worst program I have ever used. I'm not at all surprised that they are doing this. My son and I were thoroughly perplexed one day when we tried to listen to itunes radio (just like we had fewer than 12 hours earlier) and found it completely gone, replaced by Apple Music.