Menu

Best smelling dog shampoo?

klmama

I love HyLyt shampoo, both how it works and how it smells. However, I just bought some Chris Christensen Day to Day shampoo on the recommendation of another boardie, and the coconut scent is delicious! I won't have a chance to try it out until this weekend, though.  :001_smile: If the Day to Day shampoo seems expensive, note that you can dilute it 8-to-1.

• Like 2

I prefer pet products that aren't too heavily scented.  I try to look at things from a dog's perspective, and their sense of smell is so incredibly strong that I tend to think products that smell super nice to us must be horribly overpowering to them.

As far as the pH of human products being wrong for dogs -- that's pretty much a myth.  Here's a very good article from a top groomer who did lots of research into the matter.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 6

Interesting.  After a horrible experience with a groomer (bath that caused blisters and hair loss), we've used tear-free, baby shampoo on our dog -- for the past decade.  It usually takes 2 lathers to get a decent clean, but it's dirt cheap and smells nice... (currently use Target's generic baby shampoo).

Edited by alisoncooks

Yep, after a dog training book recommended baby shampoo (reasoning that pH is the same and baby shampoos have been extensively safety tested on animals anyway), and after verifying with our vet, we use baby shampoo too.  Generally Johnson & Johnson's Lavender scented.

I prefer pet products that aren't too heavily scented.  I try to look at things from a dog's perspective, and their sense of smell is so incredibly strong that I tend to think products that smell super nice to us must be horribly overpowering to them.

This is a good point, and for what it's worth, the HyLyt shampoo didn't really leave a lingering scent on my dog. It mostly just smelled good to me while I was bathing him. I also had to use an antibacterial/antifungal shampoo due to his skin problems, and it didn't smell nice at all!

Really, the most important thing to me is the condition of the dog's skin and coat when I'm finished. I bathe my dogs once or twice a week, and I found really inexpensive shampoos to be too drying for frequent baths.

• Like 1

This is a good point, and for what it's worth, the HyLyt shampoo didn't really leave a lingering scent on my dog. It mostly just smelled good to me while I was bathing him. I also had to use an antibacterial/antifungal shampoo due to his skin problems, and it didn't smell nice at all!

Really, the most important thing to me is the condition of the dog's skin and coat when I'm finished. I bathe my dogs once or twice a week, and I found really inexpensive shampoos to be too drying for frequent baths.

I think most of the overly perfumed products tend to be the ones you find in the Petsomethings, Target or Walmart, etc.  They're made to appeal to humans more than they are to be safe and effective for dogs.  Of course that's a broad generalization, but . . . y'all know what I mean.  Most of the products that are marketed more to vets, groomers and the dog show crowd aren't horribly perfumed.  Unfortunately, I think all medicated shampoos stink, no matter who they're marketed for!

• Like 1

That's interesting.  Their enzyme cleaner for pet accidents is the best.

• Like 3

I think most of the overly perfumed products tend to be the ones you find in the Petsomethings, Target or Walmart, etc.  They're made to appeal to humans more than they are to be safe and effective for dogs.  Of course that's a broad generalization, but . . . y'all know what I mean.  Most of the products that are marketed more to vets, groomers and the dog show crowd aren't horribly perfumed.  Unfortunately, I think all medicated shampoos stink, no matter who they're marketed for!

Might I ask what conditioner you prefer for your profile pup?  I have a shih poo and if she doesn't need that high priced dog shampoo (that I have to buy in cherry scent because the others set off my asthma), then I'll gladly switch to J&J baby shampoo.  Is there a comparable conditioner?

• Like 1

Might I ask what conditioner you prefer for your profile pup?  I have a shih poo and if she doesn't need that high priced dog shampoo (that I have to buy in cherry scent because the others set off my asthma), then I'll gladly switch to J&J baby shampoo.  Is there a comparable conditioner?

Mostly I stick with products formulated for dogs.  While I think it's fine from a won't-cause-any-harm perspective to use most human products on dogs, I do think that overall good quality products formulated specifically for dogs do a better job.  And that's especially true for dogs who need regular clipping.  My favorite shampoo and conditioner are Chris Christensen Spectrum Ten (available from Cherrybrook).

Keep in mind that as MercyA pointed out earlier, many of the more expensive pet products are meant to be diluted, not used full strength.  So a smallish bottle can last a very, very long time and price can be misleading.

When I use human products (and I do occasionally, just to switch things up a little) I prefer Pantene or Dove because those are what my dog's breeder uses on her show dogs.  But note that show dogs have full coats--they aren't clipped.  I only use human products when I'm bathing my dog but not clipping him.

I do use J&J baby shampoo on my dog's face. 

I use unscented Dr Bronner's Castile soap on my dogs. I always thought for a dog with such an intense sense of smell it must be terrible to be covered with a perfume smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostly I stick with products formulated for dogs.  While I think it's fine from a won't-cause-any-harm perspective to use most human products on dogs, I do think that overall good quality products formulated specifically for dogs do a better job.  And that's especially true for dogs who need regular clipping.  My favorite shampoo and conditioner are Chris Christensen Spectrum Ten (available from Cherrybrook).

Keep in mind that as MercyA pointed out earlier, many of the more expensive pet products are meant to be diluted, not used full strength.  So a smallish bottle can last a very, very long time and price can be misleading.

When I use human products (and I do occasionally, just to switch things up a little) I prefer Pantene or Dove because those are what my dog's breeder uses on her show dogs.  But note that show dogs have full coats--they aren't clipped.  I only use human products when I'm bathing my dog but not clipping him.

I do use J&J baby shampoo on my dog's face. 

I have been using http://www.amazon.com/Earthbath-Natural-Shampoo-Tearless-16-Ounce/dp/B00079PHUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460865922&sr=8-1&keywords=earth+bath+puppy I had to have my groomer in CO re-wash her several times because I couldn't handle the smell of the products.  (Heck of a lot cheaper on Amazon than it used to be, I paid $18 for the last bottle I bought)

I used to make soap/hair/bath products, and I tend to think everything can be diluted, whether the bottle says to or not.  What I do is when I'm getting ready to bathe here, I put out 2 large cups and fill them with water, then I stir a little shampoo into one and conditioner into the other.

I used this Chris Christensen kit and didn't see a huge difference, so I never ordered any more of his stuff.  I don't remember the smell getting to me, though, so I'll try what you mentioned.  I don't bathe her a whole lot (maybe once a month, usually not that frequently)

I don't particularly care if the stuff is expensive if I can handle the smell.  I really feel bad for my pup, though, I never thought about how awful it must be for her, and the Earthbath is STRONG.  Isle of Dogs really impressed me, I emailed to see if I could get them to just mail me a tiny sample to smell of their stuff (I read that their Silky line was good for shih tzus), they sent me full size bottles of grooming spray, shampoo, and conditioner....sadly I couldn't handle the smell and gave it to my groomer :-(

My girlie has a horrible mix of the poodle and 'tzu fur, it mats like no one's business.  It was beautiful until she got her adult coat, then it turned into this curly, coarse mess LOL.  My mom's shih poo has 'tzu fur, and he's so much easier to groom.  Anyway, conditioner is something I use a lot of, along with grooming spray, so I'm always up for suggestions of stuff that doesn't have a bad smell (I can't handle florals at all, and my baby is in my face all.the.time.)  I haven't been able to find a groomer I like here in VA, and we're moving to NY soon, so I did invest in good clippers, but I have zero natural beauty talent, so .... I comb her like crazy and only clip when I can't keep up with the mats.  I actually do OK on her body, but I have no idea how to trim her face.  She looks a bit like a ragamuffin right now.

(I LOVE Dr. Bronner's, I think I have only peppermint right now, but I'll check)  I'll order some of the Chris Christensen and see if I can handle the scent, thank you!

• Like 1

We bathe our standard poodles with Tropiclean shampoos and conditioner.

I'm sure this is a really dumb question....do you brush poodles?  My girl's fur isn't quite straight poodle, it has curl and it's coarse, but it isn't tight curl.  I guess I would say it's got a good wave.  My mom's dog has much softer fur, and almost no wave to it.

I just read an article about doodles and designer dogs/crossbreeds/MUTTs, and it was talking about how a lab has nice brushable fur, and a poodle has fur that gets trimmed, and when you cross them, you just end up with a mess.  That's exactly where I'm at, I do believe.  I told my husband I think the next little dog will just be straight shih tzu.  (Mind you, I wouldn't give up my baby for the world, crazy fur or not, she is exactly what I wanted)

Anyway, my mom was just here and her dog brushes so nicely, she can use a pin brush and he's gorgeous.  I pretty much have to use a small comb all over my girl, a pin brush (nor any other brush I've tried) just doesn't seem to do it.

I'm sure this is a really dumb question....do you brush poodles?  My girl's fur isn't quite straight poodle, it has curl and it's coarse, but it isn't tight curl.  I guess I would say it's got a good wave.  My mom's dog has much softer fur, and almost no wave to it.

I just read an article about doodles and designer dogs/crossbreeds/MUTTs, and it was talking about how a lab has nice brushable fur, and a poodle has fur that gets trimmed, and when you cross them, you just end up with a mess.  That's exactly where I'm at, I do believe.  I told my husband I think the next little dog will just be straight shih tzu.  (Mind you, I wouldn't give up my baby for the world, crazy fur or not, she is exactly what I wanted)

Anyway, my mom was just here and her dog brushes so nicely, she can use a pin brush and he's gorgeous.  I pretty much have to use a small comb all over my girl, a pin brush (nor any other brush I've tried) just doesn't seem to do it.

IMO -- The best brush for any dog with longer hair is a comb. ;) 

Brushes work okay for dogs like Beagles and Labs with short (fur) coats.  But for longer, denser and/or wavier coats you really need a good metal comb to get down to the skin and make sure there are no tangles hiding.  Most brushes will glide right over small tangles, and before you know it the small tangles are big mats.  I start out and do 95% of the work with a metal comb, and then finish up by smoothing things out with a pin brush.

I lurk on a professional groomer's forum, and they seem to despair over Doodles.

But even Shih Tzu can have vastly different coats.  Some are very silky and some are very cottony.  And that can make a big difference in how much or little matting is a problem.

I've heard some really awesome reviews for Secret Weapon and HypKNOTic for dogs who mat easily.  But I haven't tried either of them.

• Like 1

Basically no.  If they are getting groomed they start with a slicker, then a pin brush, then a comb.  No matter what a fine toothed comb is what's going to really get the fine mats out that you would otherwise miss, and be sure you're getting all the way to the skin, so I usually just default right to that.  

• Like 1

IMO -- The best brush for any dog with longer hair is a comb. ;)

Brushes work okay for dogs like Beagles and Labs with short (fur) coats.  But for longer, denser and/or wavier coats you really need a good metal comb to get down to the skin and make sure there are no tangles hiding.  Most brushes will glide right over small tangles, and before you know it the small tangles are big mats.  I start out and do 95% of the work with a metal comb, and then finish up by smoothing things out with a pin brush.

I lurk on a professional groomer's forum, and they seem to despair over Doodles.

But even Shih Tzu can have vastly different coats.  Some are very silky and some are very cottony.  And that can make a big difference in how much or little matting is a problem.

I've heard some really awesome reviews for Secret Weapon and HypKNOTic for dogs who mat easily.  But I haven't tried either of them.

Sigh, I wish my groomer had told me that.  She had me trying all kinds of crazy brushes (I've had lhasas, GSDs, labs, never had a problem brushing them...this shih poo, I feel like I haven't a clue how to handle her fur)...I've probably spent $300+ on brushes.  She *swore* by this brush when she groomed my pup, so I bought one...yeah, waste of money, either I don't know how to use the darn thing or idk, but my poor girlie ends up so matted unless I JUST use a comb.

I put that Secret Weapon on my shopping list to get soon.  I'll pretty much try anything, because we're moving to the NE over the summer and I suspect my poor baby is going to freeze half to death next winter, so I'd like to keep her fur as long as I can manage.  Can't find a groomer here I trust, and I'm not the greatest with the clippers myself, ugh.  

Soooo....any way to tell whether a 'tzu is going to be silky or cottony?  My next dog will be a GSD (probably in 2-3 years) but in about 5 years, I'm considering another small dog, but I definitely do not want this crazy fur again!

Basically no.  If they are getting groomed they start with a slicker, then a pin brush, then a comb.  No matter what a fine toothed comb is what's going to really get the fine mats out that you would otherwise miss, and be sure you're getting all the way to the skin, so I usually just default right to that.  

I wonder if I just don't understand how to use a slicker.  That brush my groomer had me get is a slicker and I swear it doesn't do a darn thing when I use it.  I get frustrated and just pull out the comb lol.

• Like 1

Sigh, I wish my groomer had told me that.  She had me trying all kinds of crazy brushes (I've had lhasas, GSDs, labs, never had a problem brushing them...this shih poo, I feel like I haven't a clue how to handle her fur)...I've probably spent $300+ on brushes.  She *swore* by this brush when she groomed my pup, so I bought one...yeah, waste of money, either I don't know how to use the darn thing or idk, but my poor girlie ends up so matted unless I JUST use a comb.

I put that Secret Weapon on my shopping list to get soon.  I'll pretty much try anything, because we're moving to the NE over the summer and I suspect my poor baby is going to freeze half to death next winter, so I'd like to keep her fur as long as I can manage.  Can't find a groomer here I trust, and I'm not the greatest with the clippers myself, ugh.  

Soooo....any way to tell whether a 'tzu is going to be silky or cottony?  My next dog will be a GSD (probably in 2-3 years) but in about 5 years, I'm considering another small dog, but I definitely do not want this crazy fur again!

I wonder if I just don't understand how to use a slicker.  That brush my groomer had me get is a slicker and I swear it doesn't do a darn thing when I use it.  I get frustrated and just pull out the comb lol.

A good breeder should be able to tell, or at least make a very good guess, at what type of adult coat a puppy is going to have.  But if it's a rescue where someone knowledgeable doesn't know both parents -- I think it would be very hard to tell.

A slicker brush really shouldn't be used for anything but getting mats out.  They aren't really meant to be used for routine, regular brushing and too much use or incorrect use can injure a dog's skin.  Those things can be quite sharp!  I used to have a Les Poochs on my grooming supplies wish list, but then I realized -- why?  I line comb my dog regularly and he's not very prone to matting anyway.  He never has more than a small tangle that I can easily work out with a comb and an extra squirt of grooming spray.  I have zero need for any kind of slicker brush.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the recommendation!  We chose a different scent, but it still works great.  The dog smells clean, not overly perfumed, and certainly not like nasty chemicals as with the old dog shampoo!