Menu

Small celebration - come join me!

DS just texted and he was offered a summer internship at a well known research university.  This is his dream.  Now we get to make plans to get him home from Japan and then off to his internship.

I have no idea if he will need a car, where he'll live, or how long he'll be there.  I have so many questions.  I just have to wait until he's out of class and can tell me the details.

Needless to say, this is exciting.

• Like 32

Congrats to your ds! REUs are awesome opportunities. :)

I DI want to offer a heads up for you and your ds, he needs to remember that they won't withhold taxes from his REU. Next yr during tax season, his REU will be taxed as a fellowship grant as unearned income. We weren't prepared for that this yr. we thought it was earned income, but it had to be added to his scholarship $$ instead.

• Like 1

Congrats to your ds! REUs are awesome opportunities. :)

I DI want to offer a heads up for you and your ds, he needs to remember that they won't withhold taxes from his REU. Next yr during tax season, his REU will be taxed as a fellowship grant as unearned income. We weren't prepared for that this yr. we thought it was earned income, but it had to be added to his scholarship $$ instead.

He hasn't mentioned anything about a grant or being paid.  He is simply excited to be selected for this particular program (neuroscience) as a first year. 

If he does receive a stipend or something, I will be sure to let him know about the taxes.