Menu

Need some fun curriculum suggestions for 1st grade dd

T'smom

You know how exciting it is when a new box of books arrives for the new school year? Well, as I was ordering the things I need for next year- I realized that 1st grade dd isn't getting much. The 4th grader is getting tons of stuff. I want her to have something new for herself. But since I already have 95% of her curriculum, I'm looking for something that won't take a ton of time or be terribly expensive. Any great ideas?

• Like 1

Complete Homeschool Curriculum - First Grade - Timberdoodle Co

Well you could do what I've been doing and go to Timberdoodle's grade 1 kit and think about what things you already have, what things you have readily available that you could easily substitute, etc.  Instant fun.  Now I've got a whole box to add to our day that says TIMBERDOODLE.  I'm psyched.  Everyone needs a TIMBERDOODLE spot in their schedule.   :D

PS.  The fav things from their for my ds are the mazes, art kits, and the logic workbooks.  And like I saw that super mazes and said ok, let's up the ante and do a super dot to dots book I have lying around.  That kind of thing.  

Adding: If you don't like that idea, then anything crafty like an Origami kit.  When my dd was young, we had an origami calendar to do 1 a day.  There are easy origami books.  I LOVE the art kits Timberdoodle sells.  They're always just so PRACTICAL.  Maze books are cheap.  My dd was crazy, crazy, crazy for Sculpey at that age, so for her a big box of sculpey was a winner.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 3

Also, you could grab a Snap Circuits kit and have her do the projects in the book in a planned sequence so that it counts toward her STEM time. Supplement with a few library books now and then and you can take it deeper if you'd like.

Edited by Roseto27
  • Like 1

What is she interested in?  I asked my 1st grader what he wanted added on next year - and he told me Mandarin. :lol: I thought learning Latin was enough foreign language, but okay, it is his education.

Would she like a new subject?  Something more hands on?

Some fun things I've picked up for my DD are R&S preschool books (we use these for ages 4-6), Literature Pockets, Building Thinking Skills Primary (logic with math manipulatives--I just ordered this,but it hasn't arrived), or just some colorful readers.

When I want extra curriculum but don't NEED it I just go to some curriculum I drool over and borrow from it. My DS is in first grade but not ready for anything too full on so I only ordered basics for him...handwriting, reading, math. Then when I thought it looked unfun...I went to Bookshark and downloaded their list of books for first grade then borrowed them all from the library. It sure was fun when they all started arriving...just like ordering a big box of something...yet free lol. Soon DS had a huge pile of books of his very own.

• Like 1

Seconding Home Art Studio. It definitely has 'fun' written all over it! :) Or, if she likes art, you could just make a little 'art box' with needed supplies and let her get the drawing instruction from artforkidshub.com. It's free and awesome!

Have you looked at Tinman Press books? We love them here...

You might also want to take a look at Private Eye which I just adore...It's wonderful, science, art, writing and critical thinking all wrapped up into one. Once kids start working with it, they'll never look at the world the same way again. :)

Can you tell me if this could be a year science for a 7th grader? It sounds like something my daughter would love but I'm having a hard time grasping what it covers. Thanks!

Can you tell me if this could be a year science for a 7th grader? It sounds like something my daughter would love but I'm having a hard time grasping what it covers. Thanks!

No. It isn't a content book, rather one about thinking. It is for the teacher to read to help develop their own curriculum or activities.

Basically you examine things under magnification and then begin to think about the forms you see. You ask yourself a series of questions to promote thinking in analogies. Activities vary from this point from writing using metaphor to making inferences about homologous structures.

So this isn't a curriculum, but a way for teachers to develop observation and thinking skills (especially in writing and in science).

For grades 1-3, I gave DSs 2-3 daily "fun pages" that really were beginning critical thinking/logic types of activities:

- mazes

- very simple word searches

- very simple crossword puzzles

- hidden picture puzzles

- all types of puzzle books from Tin Man Press

- Critical Thinking Activities in Pattern, Image, Logic (gr. 1-3) by Seymour
- Logic Safari (book 1 = gr. 2-3)
- Lollipop Logic (gr. K-2)
- Primarily Logic (gr. 2-4)
- Connections series (by grade level)
- Gifted and Talented series by Amerikander or others

What about an arts and crafts box:

- sidewalk chalk

- little Dover stained glass coloring books and colored markers

- sticker books

- stamps, inkpad, and blank paper/cards (to create her own stationery to use or to give as a gift)

- origami book

- craft sticks (here are project ideas)

- pony bead crafts

- Sculpty clay crafts

- loom loop crafts

- Big Yellow Drawing Book, or, 1-2-3 Draw books by Freddie Levine, or other

- construction paper, glitter glue, stickers, watercolors, and fancy scissors
- paint by number kit
- little pom-poms, felt, pipe cleaners, and "roll-y" eyes to make creatures

And a science exploration box:

- Usborne Magnets book & supply kit magnets kit

- Usborne Light and Color book & supply kit

- sun print paper

- TOPS Lentils unit for gr. 1-3 (science unit with activity cards for independent science learning)

- 365 Simple Science Experiments with Everyday Materials, and, 365 More Simple Science Experiments (flip through and get a feel for supplies you'll need and fill a small bin with supplies to make it easy to pull it out and do 2 experiments a day)

Maybe some educational computer games? At that age, our DSs really enjoyed:

- Reader Rabbit

- Bailey's Book House / Sammy's Science House / Millie's Math House

- Word Munchers / Number Munchers

- Jump Start

- Zoombinis Logical Journey

- Clue Finders (starts at 3rd grade)

- I Love USA

- Mighty Math

- Math Blasters 

Fun books for the book basket

- Where's Waldo

- Search and Find Books

- magazines: Cricket, Ranger Rick, Highlights, etc.

- audio books and tape player/CD player/MP3 player with headsets

How about some fun educational games or manipulatives:

- geoboards, and activities, printable patterns, or matching booklet Math Discoveries with Geoboards -- gr. K-1, gr. 2-3

- pattern blocks and pattern pictures, printables, or matching booklet Math Discoveries with Pattern Blocks -- gr. K-1, gr. 2-3

- multi-link cubes and activities, or matching booklet Mathlink Cubes Primary Activity Book (gr. K-2)

- dice games

- "What are some great educational games that don't require internet?"

- "Favorite educational (board) games?"

- "Favorite board games that can be educational"

These past threads have some terrific ideas:

Please share independent enrichments and fillers

What are you using that is fun and outside-of-the-box?

Wacky Wednesdays -- need goofy ideas

Tell me what your favorite hands on project was this year

How do you plan hands-on in your day?)

Favorite fun cool things esp. for math and science

Logic??

Have you looked at Tinman Press books? We love them here...

Well that turned into an expensive investigation... (and it didn't have to because they have things starting at $2.50). I *love* these booklets, and bought a whole bunch of the downloadable ones. Ds started in on them last night and requested more to do this morning. So fun!

• Like 2