Menu

"Stood to his feet" --- is this a common expression?

KarenNC

Well, given how many falsehoods are taught as "grammar", I sometimes think we'd be better off not teaching it. And I don't just mean falsehoods like "there is some version of English that is correct" (a statement rather akin to telling ESL students that they must never speak Spanish, even at home), I mean things like "the dog was watching the house is a passive sentence" or "you must always omit the word 'that' whenever possible". And then you add in poor instruction along the lines of "prepositions are words on this list, so memorize it" and... sheesh. And the teaching of grammar is a field astonishingly reluctant to use modern knowledge. We learn new things about English grammar and how it works every year, but people still teach the same things that their third grade teacher learned from HER third grade teacher, who was reading out of a book 100 years old! Can you imagine teaching biology the way it was taught in the 1850s? But when it comes to grammar, my goodness, all bets are off.

Come to think of it, a great deal of writing advice is provably false and hypocritical as well. People will say on one hand "don't use passives" or "never use singular they" and then three sentences later, in the same book, they're doing just that! They'll say "good writers don't do this" and then when you give them a list of good writers - Jane Austen, Mark Twain, Shakespeare, Stephen King, whoever - who do just that, they go "well, that doesn't count, those five thousand examples are the exception".

So that leaves spelling. Honestly, if I thought we could get spelling reform I'd be all for it, but we can't and we won't. (Most arguments against spelling reform are pretty stupid when we come right down to it, but the big one - inertia - isn't. Changing all the books and signs and re-educating everybody would cost a lot of money that's probably better spent elsewhere.)

I'm fine with teaching grammar, especially (maybe only) in context.  I want my children to pick up and use a certain style of writing, which includes to a degree what many people here might consider "standard English."  I also want them to be able to (eventually) consciously alter or subvert "Standard English" for effect, in the way that many successful writers do.

None of that means that I think that particular register, or my particular dialect, are somehow superior (except in the way that I find my culture superior - for me, not necessarily for Joe down the street) or inherently "standard."  

Similarly, if my kids were destined to live and work in an environment with a particular dialect or register but for whatever reason were unable to pick up on the dialect and were suffering socially thereby (for instance, if they were saying "Yous guys" instead of "y'all" in the South or speaking absolutely formally all the time, even in casual situations), I'd give direct instruction in how to modulate speech to fit in (if fitting in were the goal!).  

For many people here (and for many people in general), fitting in to a formal academic environment is the goal.  Therefore we teach a subset of English called proper or formal or standard or academic English.  Some people may even insist that their kids modify their speech patterns to fit this subset of English so that it is easier to write and speak in that subset when required.  As long as they recognize that this is a specific adaptation for a specific reason, and not inherently "correct English" or something like that, I think it is logically consistent.

• Like 3

I think this thread has shown that there are plenty of people who use the phrase "stood on his feet" commonly, and it is not obscure.  A quick Google search finds the phrase in plenty of written formats, including books, websites, and heck, I even found it on a U.S. Army official correspondence. To say that it is "wrong" is myopic, in my opinion.

Stood on his feet is incredibly common and I doubt anyone would have issues with it.

Stood to his feet (what this thread is about) is likely regional based upon this thread and so many of us not hearing it regularly.  I do not plan to add it to my "ok" usages when correcting things, but I'd talk with a student first about it.  Since it's not used in this area, I seriously doubt it will ever be an issue to be honest.

Creekland, I find your inability to grasp the simple concept that other dialects are not "incorrect" to be frustratingly closeminded.

That's ok. I really don't give a hoot what folks on the internet think.  I lose no sleep over someone disagreeing with me at all.  Besides... the feeling is a bit mutual considering I think my way of looking at things and handling it is superior.

Again, you're mistaking the idea that there are different ways of writing or speaking in different situations that are situationally appropriate or even required with the idea that some of these ways are inherently "correct" or "incorrect" outside of those situations.

No one has suggested (and no linguist would ever suggest) that writing an academic paper in an informal register, using various aspects of regional dialects, is always valid or should be accepted or not "graded wrong" or whatever.

Nothing people around you say when they are not attempting to speak in a different register are "mistakes."  They're "mistakes" in terms of academic writing, but these people (just people speaking in your community, I gather) are not writing an academic paper.  They're speaking English, presumably their native language, in the way that is natural to them.  

They define what is "correct English" (insofar as that phrase makes sense) for that interaction  - everyday speech.

No, I am not mistaking the idea.  I was clarifying it.  What you are saying is essentially my view.  Locals "have it right" for their area/culture/whatever for speech. 

I even mentioned I rarely correct informal speech with students.  When I do it's always private and most often exchange students or ESL students who are learning our language.

I admit to wondering if you read what I wrote as I just re-read it trying to figure out how I got the wrong meaning across.  I was unsuccessful, but I know it can be difficult figuring out meaning merely by reading (vs understanding the intent behind what was written) so I apologize that it came across incorrectly.

Heck... I even consider internet posting on forums to be informal writing and don't care if there are mistakes in it (as evidenced by my own failure to proofread often).  I do still consider many things mistakes - not regional phrases - but typos, incorrect grammar, etc.

• Like 1

Tanaqui, mosy on over to the bilingual board.  Many people there are very happy indeed when their children become fluent enough to use a recognizable dialect rather than the formal register taught in textbooks.  : )  My linguistic anthropology class in college was pretty firm about the correctness of every dialect.  All written in 1980s academic dialect grin.

Nan

• Like 1

Many people there are very happy indeed when their children become fluent enough to use a recognizable dialect rather than the formal register taught in textbooks.  : )  

This is true with exchange students too.  They often know (modern) correct English (British version) very well, but need help figuring out things not in the textbooks like "raining cats and dogs" (a favorite of theirs) or "sweating bullets."  Then they're confused by "Youse guys."   :lol:

Of course, Shakespeare often needs translating too.  ;)

Ah, this is the part I misread:

"Who decides proper?  Beats me, but I go with what's taught in our English classes.  When they change, I will too.  Mistakes are mistakes.  Some words/phrases common in our local area are mistakes when it comes to English.  I'm not afraid to tell them that at all, though I also freely admit it's fine to use them in everyday local conversation.  They might want to reconsider if they go outside of our area."

When you said that phrases common to your local area are mistakes when it comes to English, I thought you meant mistakes when it came to speaking or writing the English language, not mistakes when it came to writing formal papers for English class in high school ;)

So we are in agreement.

• Like 1

not mistakes when it came to writing formal papers for English class in high school ;)

Not only English (which I never grade), but also science, math word problems/projects (not on a test), or even regular (formal) communication like when a club for the school wants to write an article for the local or school newspaper detailing what they've been doing.

When people see mistakes in these situations (possibly even on message boards like this :lol: - I'm sure I fail here!), their brain demotes the material and the messenger.  Schools train students for their real life future.  I feel it's important in my classes to do the same.  Kids know from the beginning that I expect proper English on (many) take home assignments and always on presentations or papers.  The goal is preparing them for their adult lives in college and/or the working world.

IRL many science/math kids/adults are not good at spelling or grammar, but we're thankful spellcheck got invented and google offers hints on grammar!  When I type up an assignment, I not only go over it with a fine tooth comb, I also let others proof read it for me.  I hold myself to the same standards.

I don't take points off on tests (unless that's what the test is all about) because a testing situation is rarely real life.  But presentations?  Those can be real.  Papers too, including newspapers, advertisements, etc.

FWIW, we also talk about playing to your audience.  Rural communities can be distrustful of suits, etc, and more open to someone talking with them about diets in more casual attire.  But that's a different thread.

• Like 4

I'm from Texas.  I was homeschooled, so I know it is grammatically incorrect, :D  but in my experience, it is an intensifier. 

It means he took a more deliberate stand.  "He stood to his feet and defied the preacher."  "Joe stood to his feet as Bert walked into the bar."

It is slower than "jumped to his feet."

"He got to his feet" might be implying slower movement, joint pain (!!) or an initial reluctance to move.  "Joe got to his feet as the woman walked by."

"He stood up" is just bland action. 

• Like 3

I didn't read the thread -

That sounds really odd to me and I can't say I've seen or heard it used. Why not just say "stood", "stood up", "straightened", or any number of other synonyms that are more concise?

I'm from Texas.  I was homeschooled, so I know it is grammatically incorrect, :D  but in my experience, it is an intensifier. 

It means he took a more deliberate stand.  "He stood to his feet and defied the preacher."  "Joe stood to his feet as Bert walked into the bar."

It is slower than "jumped to his feet."

"He got to his feet" might be implying slower movement, joint pain (!!) or an initial reluctance to move.  "Joe got to his feet as the woman walked by."

"He stood up" is just bland action. 

This exactly.

I haven't read the entire thread.

I find the phrase redundant.  How else can one stand?  Is there any other way to stand than to (or on) your feet.  I first heard it spoken to a youth group about 20 years ago by a Hispanic bilingual man who is from Texas.  He told the youth group to "Stand to your feet".  It sounded (and was meant to sound) authoritative.  I've heard it since, but I wouldn't call it common, everyday usage.

I like dialectical differences.  They are fun and allow us all to identify with "our people".  I recall the first time my high school boyfriend from Mississippi asked me if I wanted him to "carry" me somewhere.  He meant drive me.  And a man from Louisiana said "Get down from the car" rather than "Get out of the car".  When I went to Canada, they thought I was so cute because I said "y'all".  I thought my Canadian transplant friends were so cute because they said "eh".  

• Like 3

I came across this expression today: "Dropped to his knees" in prayer.

I'm guessing that both expressions ("Stood to his feet" and "Dropped to his knees") are used regularly in southern churches.

I'm familiar with 'dropped to his knees' but not 'stood to his feet'.  I don't find them equivalent though.  The equivalent would be 'kneeled to his knees'.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 6

We would say "Rose to his feet" or "got to his feet"

The regionalism that always throws me is when people say the "Stood on line for ..." a ride, to buy tickets. Where I've lived we'd always say "stood in line" ...

Yes. If a non-native speaker said that to me, "stood to his feet" I would correct her (I mean, if she had asked me to teach her English): "It's got to his feet or stood up."

But I guess people say it so there you go.

Edited by Tsuga

Nope, it's not used colloquially around here but I think I have read it somewhere. It's always fun to learn something new.

The other day we were watching a British show and a character said:"...and then like "Billy is your uncle," they moved on." It seemed to be used similarly to "...and then, just like that, they moved on." :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

Nope, it's not used colloquially around here but I think I have read it somewhere. It's always fun to learn something new.

The other day we were watching a British show and a character said:"...and then like "Billy is your uncle," they moved on." It seemed to be used similarly to "...and then, just like that, they moved on." :laugh: :laugh:

Wasn't it, 'Bob's your uncle'?  It means, 'Just like that!'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_your_uncle

This exactly.

I like dialectical differences.  They are fun and allow us all to identify with "our people".   

This is why many of them came about.  It was useful in the past to know who was local and belonged and who didn't.

In our family we still get a chuckle many times we hear new ones and remind ourselves that it's how folks tell the natives from the non-natives.

My kids have used that to recognize other students who come from this area.  ;)

Middle son's linguistics teacher had everyone in his class say something and could peg where everyone was from (except middle son) even international students.  That had to have been impressive!  Why did he not get middle son?  Hubby is from VA/NC. I'm from upper NY (Canadian border).  Middle son was raised here in PA, but we travel a lot.  Somehow that mix stymied him.  He got US, but had no clue where.  I'm sure he eliminated some states... but for most students in the US (or even other larger countries) he got pretty exact to areas.

It worked out well.  It started a nice professional relationship for middle son with this prof - one middle son really enjoyed until that prof sadly died from cancer shortly after that class was completed.  Since middle son's research is in linguistics (how kids acquire language), he really had quite an influence on him.

When we travel, we often get mistaken for Canadians.  I suspect I picked up a fair bit having grown up on the border.  We don't use "eh" though, so it has to be more in mannerisms or maybe dialect.  We outright asked one taxi driver (overseas) when he guessed incorrectly.  He told us he guessed Canada because we were too friendly and laid back to be Americans, plus we were there for a longer period of time.  Supposedly most Americans travel for a week and are pretty demandy/haughty.  Canadians travel longer and are more willing to try to fit in with the local atmosphere rather than wanting everything to be as it is back home.

I came across this expression today: "Dropped to his knees" in prayer.

I'm guessing that both expressions ("Stood to his feet" and "Dropped to his knees") are used regularly in southern churches.

I hear "Dropped to his knees" relatively often (not daily or weekly, but not uncommon) - even from non religious folks if they are talking about a scary experience.  "Bet that close call had him dropping to his knees!"

It might be another regional saying.  We're definitely not southern though.

In churches it also doesn't come up often, but certainly wouldn't stand out as unusual - esp in a dire situation like a prayer request.