Menu

What is the name of that homeschool curriculum ministry?

MaryMak07

I am a regular lurker on this board but don't post much.

I had most of my son's K curriculum planned out for this fall, but we've taken a number of unexpected financial hits.  We have one car that has died and just found out Friday that our daughter will need eye surgery :(.  So, that makes our tight budget significantly tighter.

I remember seeing some posts on here about some sort of ministry that sends free homeschool curriculum to people in need.  I don't remember because at the time I didn't think I would need it.  But figured it was worth a shot to see if they have some of the things I was hoping for.

What is the name of the organization?

You can also check out Easy Peasy Homeschool which is free and very good.

Also you should be able to easily easily use the library for K! The Walmart math workbooks are great for K, and you only need a phonics and reading program from the library that you can renew multiple times. Our library allows 3 weeks with 3 renewals for 9 weeks. Then you can take a break and just practice for a while before returning it and loaning it out again. (Phonics pathways and The Reading Lesson are often at the library)

Add in story time, story books, play time and other art books and craft books from the library and you really can do it almost completely for free.

• Like 3

I am a regular lurker on this board but don't post much.

I had most of my son's K curriculum planned out for this fall, but we've taken a number of unexpected financial hits.  We have one car that has died and just found out Friday that our daughter will need eye surgery :(.  So, that makes our tight budget significantly tighter.

I remember seeing some posts on here about some sort of ministry that sends free homeschool curriculum to people in need.  I don't remember because at the time I didn't think I would need it.  But figured it was worth a shot to see if they have some of the things I was hoping for.

What is the name of the organization?

What are you hoping for? :bigear: (list it here)

We were blessed by Book Samaritan several years ago. I was at least as blessed by the fact that others cared as I was by the stuff itself! MaryMak, I am praying for your daughter. And your car situation.

"As for me, I will call upon God, and the LORD shall save me. Evening and morning and at noon will I pray, and cry aloud; He shall hear my voice. He hath delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me, for there were many with me." (Psalm 55:16-18)

"Cast your burden upon the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never allow the righteous to be shaken." (Psalm 55:22)

list what you need here. People are generous and kind around these parts...

Also keep it easy and breezy for K. Go on nature walks, practice observing and talking about what you see. Write stories together, have him do real math by counting and adding real things. You do not need fancy manipulative - grab some acorns, smooth rocks, bottle tops etc.. get to know your library and free days at the zoo etc... 

K is very easy to do for very little, or even free...but I totally get having your heart set on certain things and then having the rug pulled from under you.

My husband broke his leg in 2012 and we lost 7 months of income.  We were just starting out...two first graders.  And yeah...it was hard.  Book Samaritan was a blessing to us.  Folks from here were so kind to us.  And then I had to make some phone calls to certain curriculum providers and see if they offered financial assistance (many do).  

For K...you can use Progressive Phonics for free.  It's right online.  There's also a Facebook group called Homeschool Free For Shipping that you might find helpful. 

You all are so thoughtful and kind! The Book Samaritan is what I remember reading about.

DS LOVES to do all things interactive (anything we can do together). He also LOVES being read to. He'd let me read to him as long as I'd keep going. An hour plus is normal, and anything you can make a game is a huge hit. Those two things informed my thoughts about curriculum... He's my oldest so first go round homeschooling!

I was hoping for Right Start but that's super $$$$. We were recently given the game book and someone offered Muquin teacher books, so I could get those student books.

I'd love to get the Life of Fred books! My son would be all about those!

Would love The Reading Lesson! (I have OPGTR as a back up that I got at used consignment but I'd seen the reading lesson and liked it a lot).

Would love Developing Early Learner wkbooks but those will prob be hard to find used.

On my "maybe" list was the wooden letters for HWOT. Got the teacher guide used for $2 and the workbook a while back just haven't started. So that's mostly done.

Will use books we have and library for content.

So we aren't in terrible shape! I know it'll be ok and do believe God will provide. I just wasn't expecting all these crazy things to cause such tight finances. (The eye thing was totally out of the blue and we just found it recently)

Righstart may not be that expensive if you go with the 1st edition, at least for K.  The demand is for the 2nd edition, so I would think that you could talk people down in price for their 1st ed TM.  If you go with the 1st edition, too, you don't have to buy all the manipulatives up front ... and some of the manipulatives that you DO need, you might be able to make it yourself or source it cheaper via amazon or local store.  (I think I've even read that someone has made their own abacus using pipe cleaners and pony beads.)

And while LoF is fun, you could wait to start those.  And in fact, it isn't very compatible with the RS scope & sequence, IMO.

Pinterest would be your friend. There are TONS of ideas of activities to go with popular children's lit. They tie in geography, science and art.

Here's a few I've pinned: https://www.pinterest.com/jiraki/fiar/

For math: some blocks and educationunboxed videos. If you can print, there are TONS of free printable math games (here are some I saved). Kg scope is pretty simple: counting, one-to-one correspondence, addition, subtraction, patterns, shapes, work on place value, time, money, etc. You can even google "Kindergarten math standards" and  your state for a list. Or look at any Kg math book table of contents to see what chapters cover.

For handwriting, I've seen the printable letter "pieces" that you could print and laminate and use.

For reading/phonics: sound city: http://www.soundcityreading.com/

OPGTR really is awesome and thorough, though it can be rather black and white and boring to many students.  With a bit of creativity, however, you can easily "jazz up" some of the lessons.  My younger student is an interactive, hands-on learner and I have found myself using OPGTR in a different way than I did with his older brother.  I don't get fancy or plan ahead, but we do like to switch things up sometimes.  I might add magnet letters, a whiteboard (just an empty picture/poster frame), or spelling words out loud, and definitely some fun, colorful readers from the library.  There are also some game suggestions in OPGTR, but sometimes I don't have the energy to do them. 

Chin up!  We have homeschooled through some ups and downs and I have found that where there's a will, there's a way, though you may have to tweak your plans as you go. <3 

Hi,

I agree K doesn't have to be hard.  We have used Miquon and really loved it.  If you are looking for a good FREE book list - with books you can get from the library or free online try out Pathways.  You might have to register (for FREE at lulu.com) to get it -but it lays out two years of great reading that you can pick and choose or follow a path (from 1 to 4 days a week with a variety of subjects covered).  

For handwriting you might look into Peterson's Directed Handwriting.  I do cursive first around here and have used his 4 strokes to teach most of the cursive letters.  Here is the teacher's manual (more information than you could ever want about body, hand, paper position, etc.).  Here is the print version for K and the cursive version.  Not necessarily the prettiest handwriting but it does give you form and function.  He is really about rhythm and writing.  You many not be able to print the sheets - but you can easily see what they are doing to help guide your own instruction. 

You can also get Word Mastery for free the (1913 edition) which is what Memoria Press uses as one of their primary instructional texts.  There are tons of readers in google books as well - Elson, McGuffey, Treadwell (which apparently isn't public domain anymore but uses familiar stories which is great). 

I wouldn't worry too much about curriculum at this point - play with numbers, words, stories, outside - etc. and enjoy each other. 

• Like 3

Hi,

I agree K doesn't have to be hard.  We have used Miquon and really loved it.  If you are looking for a good FREE book list - with books you can get from the library or free online try out Pathways.  You might have to register (for FREE at lulu.com) to get it -but it lays out two years of great reading that you can pick and choose or follow a path (from 1 to 4 days a week with a variety of subjects covered).  

For handwriting you might look into Peterson's Directed Handwriting.  I do cursive first around here and have used his 4 strokes to teach most of the cursive letters.  Here is the teacher's manual (more information than you could ever want about body, hand, paper position, etc.).  Here is the print version for K and the cursive version.  Not necessarily the prettiest handwriting but it does give you form and function.  He is really about rhythm and writing.  You many not be able to print the sheets - but you can easily see what they are doing to help guide your own instruction. 

You can also get Word Mastery for free the (1913 edition) which is what Memoria Press uses as one of their primary instructional texts.  There are tons of readers in google books as well - Elson, McGuffey, Treadwell (which apparently isn't public domain anymore but uses familiar stories which is great). 

I wouldn't worry too much about curriculum at this point - play with numbers, words, stories, outside - etc. and enjoy each other. 

I second TX Pilgrim; these are all excellent choices!

Hunter has a free curriculum she has been working on.  Her first level has some great read alouds listed along with corresponding work in McGuffey, Harvey, Drawing Textbook, Poetry (Longfellow), Bible, Arithmetic, and more.  This or Ambleside Online's year 0 would all be great and exactly what I've done for K.

I would also encourage you to find a rhythm during K.  We try to bake Mondays, poetry tea time Tuesdays, paint (art and classical music) Wednesdays, nature Thursdays, science experiments Friday/Saturday.  This has been our routine for years.  It started in preschool and the kids all know what we are doing in our days.  Library outings, play dates... have fun!

• Like 1