Menu

Apple Mac Question

arnold

I'm in the market for a new laptop and have decided to switch from a pc to a mac. I will be using it for email, internet, family photos, things like that. Also, im going back to college so i may need to take it to class from time to time. My kids will also use it sometimes but not for gaming. I've been researching models for a couple weeks; and still haven't made a decision as to which machine to get. I'm looking to get the best value for my dollar and the upgraded retina display is less important than seamless performance. I'm still debating on storage size and processing speed. I don't mind upgrading the basic model to better suit my needs. Any advice you have is appreciated and if you have one you really love I'd like to hear about it.

I have a Macbook Pro and like it a lot.  I've had it for 3+ years.  The one thing I'd remind you is that if you choose a MacBook Air, there is no DVD/CD drive.  You'd need to buy a separate one if that is something you use a lot. 

• Like 1

I have a Macbook Pro and like it a lot.  I've had it for 3+ years.  The one thing I'd remind you is that if you choose a MacBook Air, there is no DVD/CD drive.  You'd need to buy a separate one if that is something you use a lot. 

Most Macbook Pros do not have DVD/CD drives anymore either.  I think only one version still does.  I'm kind of bummed out by that!  I know that eventually there won't be a need, but for now, there are still are enough times when I use them.

• Like 3

Most Macbook Pros do not have DVD/CD drives anymore either. I think only one version still does. I'm kind of bummed out by that! I know that eventually there won't be a need, but for now, there are still are enough times when I use them.

Is that right? Ugh! I need a new Mac and I use my CD/DVD drive all the time. I can't imagine not needing that.

• Like 1

We just added two more MacBook Pros to our lineup. The Air is so light that I don't trust the kids with one, but that may be something you'd like. The newer pros are plenty thin and light to handle. I love the retina display and do feel it's worthwhile to pay for, for us. Don't forget you can get a discount in the Apple Store for education if you are looking at new. I tend to go that route over refurbished just because they come out about even and I get the newer product.

ETA: we run 8GB of SDRAM and 128GB of flash storage, which works fine for our applications.  The three older computers all still have slots available, but we haven't needed them yet, maybe as new operating systems continue to be released.  I still like Maverick better than El Capitan, and still run that on my iMac.  All the MacBooks run on El Capitan now for convenience sake.

We have a cd/dvd drive around somewhere. I've never hooked it up. We now run an IMac and four MacBook Pros, I doubt I'll ever go back to PC.

Edited by melmichigan

I bought the non-retina display Macbook Pro in November. It's the only model that still has a CD/DVD drive as far as I know; however, I think I've only used it two times. I chose this model because it's also the only one, as far as I know, with expandable RAM, which is important to me because of the work I do. Otherwise I would've chosen one of the Air models. I'm quite pleased with my choice.

For those needs is probably recommend an iPad and Bluetooth keyboard. I find them more durable and resistant to kid related accidents than my MacBooks have been, and the functionality is perfectly serviceable as a main brain, especially if you have a networked printer already.

My current MBP is a 13-inch retina display. 2.6G processor, 8 G memory. I've been using this machine non-stop for the past 2+ years and have never felt the need for a faster processor or more memory.

I do have an external dvd drive, and I do use it fairly regularly, mostly because we've used math programs with a dvd component.

It's my second Macbook--my first one was from 2009. It still works and is used occasionally by other family members.

I love my Macbook and would not trade it for an iPad, which we also have several of.

The Air is so light that I don't trust the kids with one, but that may be something you'd like.

This was my thought too.

ETA: we run 8GB of SDRAM and 128GB of flash storage, which works fine for our applications.  

Very helpful, thanks.

Love my macbook pro. Husband has one via his work, and son has one as well. We share one external DVD/CD superdrive. It's nice and thin, not much bigger than a CD case, so easy enough to stick in a laptop bag if you need to take it with you. And we never have all 3 of us needing it at once. 

As for seamless, they all are. 

Regarding retina display...I LOVE It. My old eyes really appreciate it. I find it really reduces eye strain. 

I have no idea as to memory/etc. I think I have the midrange macbook pro, with retina. 

If you will be carrying it around a lot (like at college) go with the MacBook Air. It is sooo light and it has the solid state hard drive which is more durable than a regular hard drive. Definitely get as much RAM as you can so future upgrades won't be a problem. Also, check out Apple's refurbished store; I have gotten great deals there and they come with the same warranty as brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For those needs is probably recommend an iPad and Bluetooth keyboard. I find them more durable and resistant to kid related accidents than my MacBooks have been, and the functionality is perfectly serviceable as a main brain, especially if you have a networked printer already.

Ds uses an iPad Air2 plus a full sized Bluetooth keyboard for almost everything -- schoolwork, photos, email, music. The camera is handy for scanning papers or pages of books he needs for school. In general, mobile apps are cheaper than computer apps.

He uses an iPad stand and cloud storage to move things to school computers as needed. A printer app allows him to print from wifi, but non-Air printers.

Some programs, like AutoCad need a computer. And you cannot connect things to an iPad, except electronically. That limits direct downloading from cameras, flash drives, etc.

Ds uses an iPad Air2 plus a full sized Bluetooth keyboard for almost everything -- schoolwork, photos, email, music. The camera is handy for scanning papers or pages of books he needs for school. In general, mobile apps are cheaper than computer apps.

He uses an iPad stand and cloud storage to move things to school computers as needed. A printer app allows him to print from wifi, but non-Air printers.

Some programs, like AutoCad need a computer. And you cannot connect things to an iPad, except electronically. That limits direct downloading from cameras, flash drives, etc.

I'm glad to hear it can be done.  We bought the kids iPads a year and a half ago with that intent and finally gave up and added more MacBooks last week.  It was to much hassle with the kids online classes.  Many of the apps don't have the same options as the full computer based programs, which was limiting their participation. For our application, it was worth spending a few hundred dollars more for the computer. (I believe it was around 900-1000 versus 1200 for the same storage capacity.)  Ymmv, based on what programs you are looking to run.  

Edited by melmichigan

I'm glad to hear it can be done. We bought the kids iPads a year and a half ago with that intent and finally gave up and added more MacBooks last week. It was to much hassle with the kids online classes. Many of the apps don't have the same options as the full computer based programs, which was limiting their participation. Ymmv, based on what programs you are looking to run.

You are right about some online classes. Good point. I was looking at some online scout merit badge classes (don't judge) and they required a computer,

Ds's school on the other hand, has a virtual network that apparently runs online versions of regular computer programs, and you can access with any device.

Ds's school on the other hand, has a virtual network that apparently runs online versions of regular computer programs, and you can access with any device.

I think this is what our local public school does, they switched all the kids to iPads a few years ago.  The other local public school went with MacBooks arguing that the overall cost to operate would be less, maybe that's why.

You are right about some online classes. Good point. I was looking at some online scout merit badge classes (don't judge) and they required a computer,

I took two classes with my college, one online and one mostly online, using an iPad extensively. A laptop would have worked but it wasn't necessary. If just depends :). I wouldn't use an iPad as my only computer in the whole house but for 95% of my computing needs, including spreadsheets and keynote? Works fine.

We have two MacBook Airs.   One is 11" and the other is 13" and then we have the Mac Mini.  We share a  $29 Samsung external CD/DVD drive between all 3 computers since we use it so infrequently.  The girls may occasionally want to watch a DVD or for their IEW course.  

My advice is always to get the most RAM you can.  I then have a couple of external HDs, one for backup and one for photo and video storage.  

• Like 1

I think this is what our local public school does, they switched all the kids to iPads a few years ago. The other local public school went with MacBooks arguing that the overall cost to operate would be less, maybe that's why.

Just to be clear, our school has a bring your own device policy. :-(

But a big argument in favor of computers is that they can be networked. I don't believe iPads can.