Menu

Can anyone recommend a good stress/anxiety supplement?

6packofun

My dd has used Rescue Remedy for a few months now and it does help, but she feels she needs something stronger before asking a dr. for any medication.  She'd really like to avoid that.  She is going to be 21 this month and honestly, her life is not super stressful (IMO, I know everyone is different and we DO have anxiety/depression in my and dh's families!), BUT she is not the best at eating healthy.  So if you can recommend something that would maybe be a vitamin supplement along with other natural ingredients, that would be great!

how everyone responds to stress is different.

for starters - stress uses up b-vitamins and can easily leave you deficient.

I use emerald laboratories b-healthy.  couldn't believe how much better it was.

gaba

douglas laboratories ashwagandha (it's more concentrated than other brands) has been a great boon for an anxious child.  most effective in partnership wtih bacopa moneri.

stress has alot in common with depression - so don't overlook that.

i have a gentic marker that makes it more common. 

I take NOW 5-htp directly.  my body can't adequately break down tryptophan (into 5-htp and melatonin).  I was ready to quit as it didn't seem to help - until I learned I could safely take a high dose than what was on the label.  big improvement.

and I do want to say - brands matter - you want one certified to actually contain what it says it contains on the label.

• Like 2

Probiotic, lots of research that gut bacteria is linked to anxiety. 

B vitamins that have methylated B 12 and methylated folate in case she has a MTHFR mutation

Fish oil (Barlean's is liquid, tastes good, and high in actual fish oil. Dummies and such are not)

Ashwaganda. 

• Like 2

Probiotic, lots of research that gut bacteria is linked to anxiety. 

B vitamins that have methylated B 12 and methylated folate in case she has a MTHFR mutation

Fish oil (Barlean's is liquid, tastes good, and high in actual fish oil. Dummies and such are not)

Ashwaganda. 

was that supposed to be gummies?

and I agree - gummies are worthless if you're actually trying to get fish oil in someone.

the b-12 is methylcobalamin. 

MTHF - methyltetrahydrafolate is the methylated folate.  I take directly mthf (thorne is the ONLY otc brand I will trust.   I like thorne better than the rx deplin, but it's so darn expensive.  the ND I just started with has a compounding pharmacy that will compound their own MTHF that is comparable to the thorne - for less.

for those who don't know about the mthf mutation - it's estimated that 50% of the population has at least one of the genes. estimates are 16% have two.  can have a big impact.

My anxiety responds best to at least 45 minutes of moderate exercise at least 5 days a week. I choose to either jog or ride my bike (currently in a trainer in my basement) for that 45 minutes. I tend to exercise at these slow paced for an hour or more now that I'm fit again, and anxiety has reduced even more, but 45 minutes, 5 days a week seems to be my magic number (I was sick this week and couldn't exercise for four days in a row...anxiety spiked. I pulled out my L-theanine to get me through that, but I find exercise to work better than L-theanine if I have the choice).