Menu

Where in the south do they still have a BIG homeschool convention??

StaceyinLA

I'd love to take my daughters to a big convention (they are both planning to homeschool my grandchildren). I don't want to drive terribly far, but ours is just really small and not very inspiring. I've heard the Houston one isn't like it used to be either. 

Any suggestions?!?

I've only ever been to ours in Orlando.  Not sure how it compares to others.  

ETA: Somehow I overlooked the Houston part.  Guess you're in Texas.  Florida might be a bit of a drive!

Edited by UCF612

The one in Fort Worth is very large, but it's this weekend I believe.

The one in The Woodlands here in Houston I thought was pretty large, but I've never been. I know that they usually bring in some of the most popular speakers including SWB herself a few years ago.

I've only ever been to ours in Orlando.  Not sure how it compares to others.  

ETA: Somehow I overlooked the Houston part.  Guess you're in Texas.  Florida might be a bit of a drive!

The one here in Orland is actually the biggest in the country, supposedly.

• Like 1

Define homeschool convention.  Most of the ones I see now are Christian parenting conventions with a sprinkle of education.

This is my major beef.

I would love to go to the one in Orlando but there is not one single speaker that interests me (except Mr. D for math but he is already my son's teacher at co-op).  And they don't allow "vendor hall only" access.  So I don't go.

I went to two last summer and usually don't even go to one. One was teach them diligently. I helped a vendor so that is why I was there. The other was the Woodlands. Those are examples of the two different types. While I did appreciate things about TTD, it was definitely more of a Christian lifestyle homeschool fair. The Woodlands was held by THSC, and while Christian overall, it was very large and full of tons of curricula that you could look over. I think TTD serves a purpose but it is good to know going in. I had a few things I just wanted to touch and look over, and I found the Woodlands to be more helpful in that regard.

I also think the THSC one had a lot more helpful education speakers. I only went to a few.

Edited by Texas T