Menu

Need ideas for cheering a person recovering from surgery (dog-related sad story involved)

RoughCollie

This is a tough one, because I don't know the woman.  She fell on ice and broke her hip. She's about 40 years old.  The most important thing I know about her is that she is the only person who offered to foster a particular dog for the rescue I work for.

The dog was in bad shape.  An Amish puppy miller took her to a vet to see if she was pregnant.  Thank God she wasn't... the vet was astonished that the dog wasn't brought in for treatment for her injuries.  Those include hand-sized burns, many infected puncture wounds from the rape machine used to hold her in place for breeding. And more! The miller abandoned her at the vet because she was of no use to him, wanting her to be euthanized (for free).  The vet persuaded the man to let them find her a home.

This lovely lady, who had a 4-month old Wheaten Terrier puppy at home, offered to foster the dog for us and to nurse her back to health, solely because she figured no one else would step up to the plate (she was right).  These mill dogs are in terrible shape psychologically and are afraid of everything.  This one had an added fear -- of snow -- and of course, the lady lives in a place where there was a lot of snow this winter. 

The dog is very bonded to her now, and after several months of vet visits and nursing care and effort to take care of her, the lady has decided to adopt her because she thinks it would be too traumatic for the dog to be uprooted from her home.

I am also keeping in mind that the puppy she has is very time-consuming, just by virtue of being a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, puppy.  Much of the time people adopt an adult rescue dog is that they don't want to go through the challenge of raising a puppy again.

Anyway, this lady has a Big Heart and has been an outstanding mom and caregiver for this mill dog.  Her husband and extended family will continue caring for the dog while she recovers from yesterday's surgery.  The doctor wanted her to go to a rehab center, but because of the dog, she has (with her doctor's blessing) decided to recuperate at home so she will be there for the dog.

So, I want to do something for her, from time to time, besides send her get well cards.  I can't afford to do anything expensive, but there must be a way I can show her that I am concerned about her, and how very much I appreciate her ... with something besides mere words.

Does anyone have any ideas? It is hard because I don't know anything about her except what I've stated above. I was thinking along the lines of sending her cards with a little present included (not necessary in the envelope), from time to time. I want her to know I care about her as a person, and that I very much appreciate all she has done and is doing for this rescue dog.  I have a lot of admiration for this woman, and I've talked with her a lot over the past few months -- all about dogs.

Maybe a gift certificate for a bookstore (where she can order online) to read while recovering? Or a calendar featuring one of her breeds of choice? A book about people that love dogs? I can HIGHLY recommend the book "The Other End of the Leash" for that purpose..love that book.Even a cute bookmark with dogs on it? 

• Like 1

My first thought was also meals.

Can you keep in contact with her and offer to run any errands locally for her at the same time you are running your own?

Does she need any help with cleaning the house, doing yard work, snow removal, being driven anywhere?  Could the dogs benefit from being walked or otherwise cared for during the day?  (I'm going with the assumption that her caretakers will have other obligations/jobs.)

Since it sounds like she may be housebound for a while, does she need someone to make library runs for her, or bring lunches (easier than family meals)?  If you're looking for small gifts, maybe a Netflix gift card (if there is one). Does she have hobbies that she can devote time to while recovering?

I would definitely include in the first (next) card you send what you said above, that you care about her as a person, appreciate that she's made room in her life for this dog, and your admiration for her.

• Like 2

Meal, errands, yardwork, house cleaning, Redbox rentals (that you could swing by to pick up and return), Netflix subscription, crafting supplies, meals, library books, pet grooming.... 

Maybe you could visit around lunchtime to help her by heating her meal and bringing it to her?  

• Like 2

As someone who is recovering from surgery, I agree with the running errands would be helpful, amazon gift card (could be used for reading/audio/movie rental, etc.)  Magazines can be nice since they have shorter articles that don't require as much mental energy.  I have friends who just brought me past issues from her own house that she would have just recycled.  Even if they weren't my cup of tea, the did in a pinch when I needed distraction.    Meals are nice, but so are treats, especially healthy treats.  One that would appeal to me would be fruit - I would have loved some fruit salads that were easy to eat without work on my part since I really was not functional in a kitchen. 

• Like 1

I would suggest meals or offering to walk/play/care for the dogs for awhile.  When I was recovering from neck surgery, all I wanted was for someone to take over my regular responsibilities (kids, mostly).  I just didn't want to feel a burden of not taking care of my responsibilities.  Likewise, anything that could help her husband, who is taking over her responsibilities, is helpful, too.  They'd both appreciate that. 

ETA - I now see that you don't live near her.  I like the idea of sending dog food or meals.  Can a meal be sent somehow?  If not, a nice thoughtful note would be appreciated. 

Edited by RKWAcademy