Menu

One-cup coffee maker?

AnniePoo

I need a coffee maker.  We've somehow survived nearly 11 years of marriage without one but the time has come for some liquid energy.  

We'll probably make two cups per week total.  Which maker will take up the least space while still making a decent cup of coffee?  I don't want bags of coffee going bad.  

Give me some help!

Sounds like you might be looking for an electric coffee maker, but I had to put in a plug for the brown ceramic Kalita 102. It's a coffee dripper, so you boil the water and use a paper filter. I like that it's ceramic, so I'm not pouring hot water over plastic every day. 

I got mine from amazon and it's perfect for a single cup, but if you had guests you could make 3 or 4 cups. The brown color doesn't stain like white ceramic would, and I've come to love my morning routine, boiling water and pouring through, rinse and dry then back in the cabinet. Couldn't be easier, and it definitely takes up way less space than an electric maker. I looked at the smaller size, Kalita 101, but I'm glad I went with the 102. It's still small but more versatile.

Amy

Edited by Acadie

I'm guessing something like a French press will probably be what you want, but I did want to throw out a mention for a Senseo coffee maker. It's an alternative to a Keurig- put in a pod, press a button, awesome coffee comes out. I bought one for my husband 10-ish years ago, and it's still going strong. It has a smaller footprint than a Keurig, and (my favorite part) the pods it uses are completely compostable! (The pods are wrapped in essentially coffee filter material, so they can get thrown in the compost bin, as opposed to Keurig pods which are plastic and have to be thrown out.) 

Just a tip: caffeine also comes in pretty pink tablets from a drug store. It's 50x cheaper (per dose), easier, and not tied to any particular beverage or beverage maker. (It also helps me aknowkedge that when I choose to ingest a mild stimulant, I'm doing it on purpose because that's what I'm looking for. My desire for an energy boost is not camouflaged by an alleged desire for a hot beverage.)

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 1

My friend has this one.  http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Single-Serve-FlexBrew-49999A/dp/B00EYZVWWW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1456414271&sr=8-3&keywords=hamilton+beach+single+serve+coffee+maker

She likes it because she can use the k cups or her own coffee.

If you keep coffee in the cabinet in the can it came in or in a dark container it will keep awhile. 

French Press, and a bean grinder.   Since you won't drink that much, pre-ground coffee will get stale before you drink it.  I wish I'd bought a metal French Press instead of the glass. I'm always afraid it is going to break.     

Another reason for the French Press for me was that since I don't drink coffee all that often, I want the best coffee I can realistically get.   I am like that with scotch too.