Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW8: r.i.p. umberto eco and harper lee

Robin M

#21: Summer at Sea by Beth Labonte.  I loved it!  It was a book that was free at the time I got it ($1.99 normally I think) and it sounded good so I took a chance on it.  About 25% of the time freebies are great.  I filter enough that 75% of the time they are at least good.  This was one of the great ones.  Summer is a 26 year old librarian still living at home with her very anxious and paranoid parents.  Her older brother has struck it rich with an iPhone fart app and so takes Summer, her parents, his girlfriend, and Graham, the brother's best friend/business partner on a cruise.  At the last minute the brother and girlfriend bail.  And then Summer, who has always been attracted to Graham, discovers she's sharing a suite with Graham.  Summer has decided to find a husband during the 8 day cruise.  Hilarity ensues.  It's predictable (with a few little surprises) and ended exactly how I wanted it to.  It was a nice mind vacation.  I stood in line to early vote in the primary yesterday for an hour and a half and passed the time reading this book and then stayed in bed until noon this morning (very rare for me) to finish it.

• Like 8

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry that I missed out on reading the Forster book along with a group.  I have a copy of Passage, but haven't read it.  Loved A Room with a View and enjoyed Howards End and Where Angels Fear to Tread by him years ago. 

If anyone else likes book related podcasts, I have been enjoying the review of new titles each week on All the Books.  ( Sorry if that is already well known to readers here.)

(Edited to fix spelling and add book titles.)

Edited by CindyH in NC
  • Like 8

Yeah, I'm actually Robert Duvall, not Stacia. :lol:

Disturbing, yet great, movie. But, it's a war movie. And it delves into the dark psyche of man. So it should be disturbing. (Same can be said for the book.)

ETA: Jane made me do it....

https://youtu.be/vRp7tYWnJJs

"Nuthin' like it." So funny and so wrong.

ETA What he should have said: Smells like....birth defects.

Edited by shage
  • Like 9

Got to do a fun thing with ds tonight. For Christmas, I had gotten tickets to my favorite radio show, Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me.

Ds & I went to tonight & had a fabulous time. Great crowd there tonight. So funny. Probably a few things they will be editing out.  :lol:  Panelists were Paula Poundstone, Roy Blount, Jr., and Faith Salie. Tricia Yearwood was the guest. Loads of fun. I think the recording from tonight will be the one they broadcast this Saturday.

My terrible iphone photo of the stage:

attachicon.gifIMG_0896.JPG

ETA: And, it was at the Fabulous Fox Theatre, so that's always a win. It's such a gorgeous venue & a must-visit if you're ever in Atlant

Lucky ducky! That is my favorite and I have been scheming to try & see it when it comes to our area. I doubt it will happen but it's not completely out of the question.

Beautiful theater!

• Like 7

Still sick and just not able to focus. Earlier in the week I thought I'd use the down time as an excuse to revisit a cozy favorite but I have so many to-read books on my list. I read two books from the children section: The Apothecary by Maile Meloy and West of the Moon by Margi Preus. 

I picked The Apothecary mostly because of the cover. And I ended up liking the cover more than the book, which is not a slight against the writing. One of my kids & I both enjoyed West of the Moon quite a bit.

I did dive back into Good Omens and I'm not sure why I had gotten sidetracked from it before!

• Like 8

I hope it's not too late to join in for the year.  I will have to catch up - I think I am slightly behind but I may remember another title from January.  I am enjoying the recommendations and the reviews from others. 

Welcome!  It's never too late to join in.

I'll look forward to hearing more about what you're reading.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Sorry that I missed out on reading the Forster book along with a group. I have a copy of Passage, but haven't read it. Loved A Room with a View and enjoyed Howards End and Where Angels Fear to Tread by him years ago.

If anyone else likes book related podcasts, I have been enjoying the review of new titles each week on All the Books. ( Sorry if that is already well known to readers here.)

Welcome and glad you decided to join in. The good thing is once you decide to read it, there will be plenty of ladies to discuss it with.

• Like 7

Sorry that I missed out on reading the Forster book along with a group. I have a copy of Passage, but haven't read it. Loved A Room with a View and enjoyed Howards End and Where Angels Fear to Tread by him years ago.

If anyone else likes book related podcasts, I have been enjoying the review of new titles each week on All the Books. ( Sorry if that is already well known to readers here.)

I didn't know about it, so thank you for mentioning!

Anyone know if other bookish podcasts?

• Like 7

Popcorn and Apocalypse Now. Is there a homeschooling merit badge for this? We are still towards the beginning of the movie, and thus far it is worse than the mummified chicken and better than the counselor's letter. :-P

My husband found his copy of that movie recently......could not understand why I wasn't enthusiastic. Lol. I did a reread of Heart of Darkness last year, still disliked it although it was better than my high school memories. I also read Things Fall Apart which I loved.

• Like 8

I didn't know about it, so thank you for mentioning!

Anyone know if other bookish podcasts?

I would love some other book related podcasts, also. 

Here are a couple of others I listen to - although not as regularly as All the Books.

Books and Authors by BBC Radio - I've only listened to a couple of these.

Publishers Weekly PW KidsCast - lots of interviews with authors of children's and YA titles

• Like 7

Popcorn and Apocalypse Now. Is there a homeschooling merit badge for this? We are still towards the beginning of the movie, and thus far it is worse than the mummified chicken and better than the counselor's letter. :-P

:lol:  (Yeah, but where does it rank in relation to dissecting owl pellets? :tongue_smilie: )  I think you've created some new Oscar categories that should be considered -- for movie better than chicken mummifying; movie better than getting a counselor's letter; etc.... Might liven up the ceremonies a bit!

Hey, not to enable all you bookaholics ;) , but Oxford University Press has a sale starting at midnight tonight that lasts one day only (for Leap Day) -- 60% off titles sitewide. Code is LEAPDAY.

And, Kathy, Happy Leap Day birthday for your grandson tomorrow! How fun! Hope he has an incredibly special & fun day. :party:

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 10