Menu

Your 10 Favorite Authors

Hmmm. Tolkien, Lloyd Alexander, Robert Lewis Stevenson, Terry Brooks, Madeline L'Engle, Lucy Maud Montgomery (if I'd had girls), Tolstoy, Kipling, Nesbit, Poe.

They don't have to bond with them, but those authors mean something special to me for different reasons. 

• Like 3

I culled all my romance novelists (except Heyer) out of my many lists & was left with this, in alphabetical order. 

Isaac Asimov
Margaret Atwood
Lee Child 
Agatha Christie 
Georgette Heyer 
Rohinton Mistry
Lucy Maud Montgomery 
Larry Niven 
Elizabeth Peters
PG Wodehouse 

ftr, I dithered over Rohinton Mistry v. Michael Ondaatje v. Vikram Seth but Mistry won.
Lee Child had to duel with Elizabeth George. Different day, George might have won. 
Frank Herbert really wants to be on the list. I think he could push Asimov off. 

• Like 1

This is hard. To pick 10. I don't have my list yet.

Lately my relationship with books and authors means more to me. Now that it has been over a year since I had any contact with anyone from my old life, it is weird. I never talk to anyone that knew me as a child. I never hear a voice from my past. And there is a good chance I never will again.

But sometimes when I read a certain line of text, I get a similar feeling to hearing a voice.

EFL writing about Longfellow made an impression on me. And highlighted a pattern that I was only starting to become aware of.

I was in the elevator with a Longfellow book from the library and a neighbor had such a powerful reaction to seeing the author's name. People at this forum talk about having the same physical book over time, but I am noticing that some people react powerfully to just a title or author's name.

Do we have the power to launch children/students with a relationship to an author that will last their entire lives? That can never be stolen from them unless something the likes of a dystopian novel takes place?

I tried really hard in the past to like Shakespeare, and now I suddenly do. I seem to be craving familiar and repetition of verse.

The same with Longfellow. Just reading EFL meant I heard some verses, and then when I read them elsewhere, I had a powerful reaction of recognition, and a desire for more of that.

Edited by Hunter

In no particular order:

Homer
Shakespeare

Franz Kafka

Haruki Murakami

Dylan Thomas

Kurt Vonnegut

Malcolm Lowry

Mikhail Bulgakov

Neil Gaiman

Mark Dunn

If not limited to 10, I would add Nabokov, Durrell, Cather, and Dostoevsky. 

I expect that my kids will have read all of those authors, except probably Lowry, by the time they finish high school. I think DS would "bond" with many of them; DD not so much.

• Like 1

I think, maybe...

KJV Bible

Aesop (Joseph Jacobs)

Grimm's Fairy Tales

Longfellow

Shakespeare

Kipling

Melville

Jack London

Laura Ingall's Wilder

Hemingway

The Bible and Aesop are not really a single author, but...I'm going to still list them first.

EDIT: I switched Jules Verne for Hemingway, and then switched back.

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 4

Wendell Berry is my favorite author.

For my kids, E.B. White or Laura Ingalls Wilder.

I'd have to think about my others. I tend to think more in terms of books I have liked than authors because I may really like a few books by an author but really dislike a couple as well.

• Like 2

For Laura Ingalls fans, there is this 2 volume set.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Little-House-Books-Volume/dp/159853162X

If these are like the Longfellow and Frost books from the same publisher, they are small and printed on thin quality paper like a hardcover Bible. I would really like to see these. I think I might buy these for myself for my birthday.

Wendell Berry is my favorite author.

For my kids, E.B. White or Laura Ingalls Wilder.

I'd have to think about my others. I tend to think more in terms of books I have liked than authors because I may really like a few books by an author but really dislike a couple as well.

Yes, it is different when talking author vs individual books. I don't really like most books by Hemingway, but like his writing style. And several foreign language students have professed their love of Hemingway to me. They smile when they talk about him. He stands above everything else presented to them by former teachers.

I have seen this EB White anthology. It is a bit bulky, but beautiful.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/mobile/w/charlottes-web-and-other-illustrated-classics-eb-white/1113892409?ean=9781435145979

Barnes and Noble also did a similar job with the Hemingway anthology.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/mobile/w/barnes-noble-leatherbound-classics-ernest-hemingway-ernest-hemingway/1106658801?ean=9781435129849

Their Aesop stands above most other options, too, in some ways, depending on what you are looking for.

Edited by Hunter

I have seen this EB White anthology. It is a bit bulky, but beautiful.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/mobile/w/charlottes-web-and-other-illustrated-classics-eb-white/1113892409?ean=9781435145979

Barnes and Noble also did a similar job with the Hemingway anthology.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/mobile/w/barnes-noble-leatherbound-classics-ernest-hemingway-ernest-hemingway/1106658801?ean=9781435129849

Their Aesop stands above most other options, too, in some ways, depending on what you are looking for.

That E.B. White book is beautiful, my daughter is just learning to read, I may get it for her when she gets a bit more confident. "Stuart Little" was the first "real" book I ever read and she loves "The Trumpet of the Swan".
  • Like 1

That E.B. White book is beautiful, my daughter is just learning to read, I may get it for her when she gets a bit more confident. "Stuart Little" was the first "real" book I ever read and she loves "The Trumpet of the Swan".

There really isn't anything else like this book, that I know of. B&N sometimes let's these anthologies go OOP temporarily and permanently. I haven't seen the Narnia anthology in awhile.

It is a new thing for me to be so affected by the sound of the text being read aloud. I used to be far more focused on plot and character.

Also, when I do buy a physical book, the tactile response is very important to me, now. I think I found a nice copy of the Hemingway short stories from Everyman's Library. In the past I only had the bulky cheap paperback.

http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Stories-Everymans-Library-Classics/dp/1857151879/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1455852814&sr=1-4&keywords=Hemingway+short&refinements=p_n_feature_browse-bin%3A2656020011

It is looking more and more like I am moving soon. When I do, and am settled, I would like one small bookcase of books, very carefully chosen. And once it is full, knowing that if a bring a new book home, one on the shelf must go.

It is funny. I'm rereading Dirda's list of Patterning Works and there is very little overlap with my choice of bonding authors. Just the KJV, Grimm's, and Shakespeare.

• Like 1

Favorite authors is different from what I want my children to know. As far as what I want them to know, maybe ??? these:

the Bible
Dostoevsky
Cervantes
Shakespeare
Homer
Kant
Austen
Guanzhong
Vonnegut
Faulkner

This is the impossible task.... I'll quit editing this list and just post.

• Like 1

Do we have the power to launch children/students with a relationship to an author that will last their entire lives? That can never be stolen from them unless something the likes of a dystopian novel takes place?

Yes, I firmly believe that we do. My list is:

Bill Watterson 

Tolkien

Lloyd Alexander

Homer, Greek myths

Fairy tales

Richard Adams

L.M. Montgomery (have to see with her, since I have boys.)

They've already been "launched" into the first five on the list.  I'll add more as I think of them.

• Like 1

Yup, WHAT we want them to know is different than WHO we want them to know.

As always, people can talk about anything they want in the threads I start and tweak the question to anything they want to explore.

But *I* have been trying to really separate knowing an author from my checklists of must read books to be culturally literate. I'm thinking RELATIONSHIP here. Books that can become a student's peeps.

Even if they don't entirely like them. Kind of like great-aunt Mary with the bad breath. Family. Grounding, because they are your peeps. Even if you didn't choose them and never would on your own.

Some people have a strong physical response to seeing an author or title. It has happened to me. I saw it in the lady in the elevator. I would like to explore how to maximize that. And talk about if it is possible or a worthy pursuit. And I don't know.

But I'm curious about human response to some authors. Is it the author himself? Was it the person who read the book? Is it just the student being a certain kind of person?

• Like 3

I'm ignoring the children part though I will say I've shared most of these with at least my adult child ;)

JRR Tolkein

CS Lewis

Robert Heinlein (wow those two names do not go together!)

John Varley (who I shared with my oldest and my oldest wrote to him and he sent him a signed book!)

LM Montgomery

Beverly Cleary (RAMONA FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER)

Alison Weir

Mark Twain

L. Frank Baum

Edgar Rice Burroughs

Oh and John Scalzi. I'm addicted to his books, one of the only authors I ever preorder.

Let's see how that pans out with the kids --

All of my kids have read Tolkein and Lewis, some Heinlein juvies, Like I said oldest loves Varley - middle will be introduced pretty soon...

They have knowledge of Montgomery from the various tv shows but I don't think any have read her work. *

They're all intimately familiar with Beverly Cleary

Oldest read one of Weirs books for an AP History class -- it wasn't on the list but it was on the shelf outside his room LOL

They've all read some Twain and Baum and at least two out of three have read some Barsoom and some Tarzan.

Muppet Boy actually made a random Anne of Green Gables reference the other day  -- I threw a small white board down on the floor in frustration and he said "I thought you were going to smash it on my head like Anne and Gilbert" LOL

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 1

Some books or authors appeal at different times in one's life.

I didn't like Tolkien (despite much trying) until about 2 weeks ago.  It just clicked, all of a sudden.

I have tried and tried to convince my DD10 to like Le Guin but so far no luck.  I think she is too quiet a writer for DD, who is much more into adventure and drama.

• Like 3

Bible

LM Montgomery

Tolstoy

CS Lewis

Gk Chesterson

Maya Angelo

Laura Ingles

Sandra Cisneros

Homer

Edgar Allen Poe

My list is authors who have deeply affected me at some point in my life and their work changed my point of view and altered my look on either myself or the world. Some of them as a child, some as a preteen, some as an angry teen, some as someone looking to find herself and others as am adult wishing for a deeper understanding of life.

• Like 1

It's so interesting reading people's criteria for their lists, looking back I think I had three separate lists.

There are some specific works and authors, like the Bible and Shakespeare, that I consider a core part of the cultural backdrop of their lives.... even if they don't LIKE them they should connect with them.

Then there are some works and authors on my list that I would just personally feel sad if they never really loved, like Dostoyevsky, Austen, and Cervantes. These affected me greatly so I included them, but does that mean they should belong on a list for my children?

Then there are some works and authors that I included more because of a concept -- like i included Kant because I feel like most people should connect with moral philosophy at some point before they are considered "adults" (either high school or college or wherever that points now comes), but really, it doesn't need to be Kant -- it just was for me. I think for a lot more people, it's Plato in the form of Five Dialogues and that fits the bill too. From Hunter's "family" example, I hope there will be a moral philosopher in my children's "family" from early on. Even today, over 20 years after I first read Kant, I still think "This is a job for the categorical imperative!" quite often, almost like I'm setting myself up to really think about a problem. But, I don't really care who it is. As long as it's not Bentham (joking, but only kind of).

Edited by tm919
  • Like 1

MY favorites, the books that inspired me growing up, the ones that bring back warm fuzzy memories for me: Laura Ingalls Wilder, hands down. I've read every one at least half a dozen times, and different things get me every time. Also, Maud Hart Lovelace, Carolyn Haywood, Sidney Taylor, Frances Hodgson Burnett, and Louisa May Alcott, and I can also add Frank and Ernestine Gilbreth, and Margaret Mitchell to my list.

However, I did not grow up to become the mother of a group of sisters, and I never did get my own little Betsy. My children prefer fantasy and epic adventure. THEY would say A. A. Milne, Robert Louis Stevenson, Tolkien, and Lewis.

My daughter would say Madeline L'Engle, and I would agree. She also somehow gets and likes Twain in a way that I never really did. And Jules Verne -- I never was interested in his stuff as a kid, but DD and I both loved Around the World in 80 Days.

Shakespeare

The Bible

You need to know at least some references to those.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

I've only really started reading hard core philosophy recently. Choosing Jack London is partly because of that. He wrote things I only recently became aware of.

Yesterday, I dipped a bit into the political views of the Grimm brothers. Interesting.

I think how much we cater to or shove books at students/children depends on parenting style, the subculture we belong to, and our religion or worldview. How do we introduce them to people and extended family members? Do you make them let smelly Uncle George hug them? Do you make them listen attentively to things they are not interested in? Do you introduce them to extended family at all?

I'm realizing I don't bond as easily with translations as I do with an author that writes in English. I am noticing a trend in childhood experiences. I am drawn to writing that includes a lot of references to food and the simple and grounding things in life.

There is still so much of this I'm trying to figure out. Relationships are messy, and my relationships have been particularly messy. I'm not sure I know how to have them anymore; seriously. This past year slammed shut my last connections to anyone that could be called family or even a meaningful relationship, and I changed a lot as a reaction and to survive. I'm not the same person. I have totally lost my confidence in choosing who I want to have a relationship with. Maybe trying to choose 10 authors is my way of taking a babystep back into thinking about ever having a meaningful relationship with anyone ever again.

I've carried a lot of books into the elevator. The lady who saw the Longfellow book has got me thinking. Which books have jolted people just from seeing the title? What is the trend here? What is the potential for us and for those we are responsible for?

• Like 1

My Longfellow book came in; now I can bring back the library copy.

Also my The Library of America paper catalog came in. It is easier to navigate than the website. I love these anthologies of the works of American authors. Usually anthologies are bulky, with tiny fonts. The difference in these volumes is the Bible quality paper. They even have ribbon markets.

There is nothing like these anthologies for British authors is there?