Menu

Early college questions and help us decide (Update #39)

DawnM

Have any of your kids done early college?

My oldest son is currently doing dual enrollment, but he is a senior and only doing it one semester before graduating.

Middle son would like to leave his current high school (homeschooled through 9th grade and is attending a charter for 10th)

He likes his school but doesn't love it and really isn't into things like high school sports and prom, etc....he likes drama and music.

Anyway, he is looking at two different programs for next year.  Both are at the Community College locally.  Can you please look at the two options and give some feedback as to:

1. What you would prefer

2. What questions to ask/seek out

First Option:  Early College

This is a 3 year program, starting in 11th grade, that runs for 11th-13th.  At the end you receive a high school diploma (actually after 12th) and an AA (after year 3) completely for free.....including books.  

Since it is run through the local school district, free transportation, school lunch programs at min. cost, etc....are included. 

Advantages:  

• Free,
  • allows you to stay with the same kids potentially for 3 years,
  • is all on one campus,
  • High school teachers and counselors available to help you if you need it
  • and the biggest advantage, you get first pick of college classes, even before the community college kids get to pick their classes.

Disadvantages:

• You are tied to what they allow you to take for dual enrollment
  • You still have to take some high school classes through them
  • It runs a full day, almost like a traditional high school
  • You cannot attend at just any CC.  The program is only at 3 campuses.  One appears to be almost full for next year, a new one is opening up that is further away, but doable.  The main Community College campus does not offer the program, which is a bummer for us, as that one would be our first choice.

Second Option: Dual Enrollment

Advantages:

• More freedom to take classes at any campus you wish, including the main campus which is  a preference 
  • You don't have to take high school classes if you feel ready for all college level classes
  • You can set your schedule to be anything you wish, allowing for a real college schedule

Disadvantages:

• Books and fees are charged, probably costing around $700 per semester for a full load
  • You register last, after the above program and after regular college students, making it challenging if you really need a class
  • You are not with a set of students for 3 years 
Edited by DawnM

Unless it would get in the way of his longer term goals, an AA at 13th grade that is nearly free is awfully appealing. I don't think we have anything like that where I am.

eta

But if not taking required high school classes would allow him to get an AA in exactly what he wants to get it in in only 2 years, then I'd say the savings in time could even out with savings in money.  

I think you need to list what is important to your family and him--like perhaps the free transportation doesn't matter because his sibling is already travelling to and from and he can be included. Or maybe that is critical.

Maybe having to wait till third for class cholce would be too much of a problem and he'd frequently not be able to get desired classes, or maybe it is not a big deal there.

How much is he likely to need the supports of a group of kids going through with him?

Edited by Pen

Look really hard at the value of the AA.

If your son is definitely going to a school that has a transfer agreement with the CC and the CC offers all the required courses for the first two years of his major, it's great to get the AA. 

If you are going to a school that is going to pick-and-choose what credits to grant, taking extra classes just to get the AA is not worth it. Ditto if your future major has prereqs that are not offered or hard to get into at the CC, it often makes sense to transfer when you are ready for the four year experience, even if you haven't finished the AA. (I'm assuming you can still grant/get the high school diploma.)

We did the "take what we need to pursue interests and fill in holes" approach 11th and 12th grade dual enrollment and will end up with almost two full years of credits, but no AA. The selective privates limit their advanced standing credits to one semester max anyway, so tweaking her schedule around AA requirements would not have provided any benefit for those schools on her list. Furthermore, her state school will accept almost everything she took, even though it's not packaged in an AA program.

Youngest DS is in an early college high school program.  His is four years -- the first two years are (were) a combination of high school and college classes.  Now as a junior he's taking all college level classes.  He's on track to receive an AA in May of next year, a week or two before he receives his high school diploma.

We chose this route not for the potential money saving, but because it seemed to be by far the best high school choice for him.  He's very much enjoyed it and has flourished.

I believe we're in the same state (NC)?  There is a strong articulation agreement in place between the community colleges and state universities.  I don't know how it would be for your son's program where he would go a 13th year, but with DS's four year program he will be eligible to enter a four year university as a freshman, since all of his college credits will have been earned while technically in high school.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

I think your finances would play a big role in this decision.

His future major, the transfer policy of his future college, and what the AA he gets all make a difference on if that AA is actually of any value. It can actually be very difficult to go into college with all your gen ed done and try to finish all the classes for your major. Normally gen ed classes are easier and they balance the harder upper level classes. There are many programs that include more than 4 semesters of sequenced classes that would keep him from actually finishing in 2 years once he got there.

The early enrollment is nice, but at our CC, the classes offered that way are not what dd wanted. Taking classes where you have the freedom to choose is a much better deal, getting exactly what he wants and needs. However, our CC doesn't have problems with not being able to get into classes. Even as the last to register, dd has gotten the exact section of every class she has wanted. So many kids register late at our CC, it just isn't an issue.

I just don't know enough about your CC system or his goals to know what would work. If finances are tight and the budget for college is an issue, do the early college. You can save the money for the 2-3 years it will take to finish. If the finances aren't a big issue, I'd avoid the high school hassles and limitations of early college and go DE.

• Like 1

Have any of your kids done early college?

Both of mine did/have done early college, but their approaches were different.

My daughter went into a full-time (residential) early college program when she was 12. By that point, she had completed the typical high school requirements through a combination of homeschooling and online classes, and none of the local colleges or universities would even entertain the concept of having her on campus. So, the early college program looked like her best option. It is hosted by a small, private women's college. When she enrolled, early college students were eligible for scholarships that were roughly equivalent to those offered to the "trads" (traditionally aged students), although I believe they have since quit offering scholarships for the EC kids. 

My began dual enrollment at our local community college at 15 and did that for a year before going ahead with full-time enrollment at a private university about 90 minutes from our home. In some ways, I wish I had been able to convince him to stick with dual enrollment for another year, get the AA and then transfer. It would certainly have been a more affordable option for us. However, he is a performing arts major, and it's not always possible or advisable to try and transfer into a four-year program. Often, the curriculum is pretty structured, and it's not easy to step in midway through. Also, if a student has not built relationships with instructors and directors for those first two years, it's sometimes difficult to compete for roles in staged productions. So, for him, it made sense to start as a freshman.

I think the better option for your son will depend on a lot of factors.

• What is his long-term plan?
  • Will the associates degree provide significant value if he decides to transfer to a four-year program? Is the four-year degree he plans to pursue one that is readily open to transfers, for example?
  • Does the community college offer any kind of transfer agreement with any four-year colleges that are on your son's list? (Our community colleges offer some "garaunteed" transfer programs that allow students to state up front the campus to which they plan to transfer and to work with a counselor who will help plan a course sequence that the university will accept.)
  • Will the community college provide enough academic challenge to keep your son invested and interested for two or three full years?

I'm sure there are a ton of other variables, but those are the ones that popped into my head right away. 

Look really hard at the value of the AA.

If your son is definitely going to a school that has a transfer agreement with the CC and the CC offers all the required courses for the first two years of his major, it's great to get the AA. 

If you are going to a school that is going to pick-and-choose what credits to grant, taking extra classes just to get the AA is not worth it. Ditto if your future major has prereqs that are not offered or hard to get into at the CC, it often makes sense to transfer when you are ready for the four year experience, even if you haven't finished the AA. (I'm assuming you can still grant/get the high school diploma.)

We did the "take what we need to pursue interests and fill in holes" approach 11th and 12th grade dual enrollment and will end up with almost two full years of credits, but no AA. The selective privates limit their advanced standing credits to one semester max anyway, so tweaking her schedule around AA requirements would not have provided any benefit for those schools on her list. Furthermore, her state school will accept almost everything she took, even though it's not packaged in an AA program.

We did this as well. My 16 year old is graduating a year early from high school and has 30 college credits that will all transfer to meet required courses, not just 30 credits that only check a few things off the list. We approached the colleges she was most interested in early and got their general ed requirements and early majors requirements/pre-requisites and used those lists to choose what to take. No need for the AA.  

Wow, you guys are on top  of it!  

Thank you.

Ok, to answer some questions:

1. We HAVE looked at the transfer program.  He is seriously looking at the state school and it WILL take 100% of the classes as transfer.  

2. He is going into a field that is not that competitive (Journalism/Communications) so we aren't too worried about having an "edge" 

3.  The way our dual enrollment works is that you have to take a prescribed set of classes in whatever your "track" is.  For him, he would be in the transfer program track, so it would be general eds.  (Other tracks include trade/tech programs.)

• Like 1

Youngest DS is in an early college high school program.  His is four years -- the first two years are (were) a combination of high school and college classes.  Now as a junior he's taking all college level classes.  He's on track to receive an AA in May of next year, a week or two before he receives his high school diploma.

We chose this route not for the potential money saving, but because it seemed to be by far the best high school choice for him.  He's very much enjoyed it and has flourished.

I believe we're in the same state (NC)?  There is a strong articulation agreement in place between the community colleges and state universities.  I don't know how it would be for your son's program where he would go a 13th year, but with DS's four year program he will be eligible to enter a four year university as a freshman, since all of his college credits will have been earned while technically in high school.

Yes, I am in NC.  Really?  they can enter as a freshman (or same as a freshman?)  Do you mean for scholarship purposes or literally starting as a freshman?

We did dual enrollment for dd's jr and sr year of high school. There was a nice page available on both the state university she plans to attend and the cc's website that gave specific names and number of credits transferrable for many basic classes. Dd will be able to enter her 4 yr college with all but 3 of her general requirement classes already out of the way. I think she has about 60 credits to transfer. She may be one class short of an AA degree, but that could be remedied fairly easily.

As I see it, an AA is a good thing to have to fall back on, just in case the student discovers that a bachelor's is not for them after their first semester. Also, since dd was able to do the dual enrollment program for free in our state, the savings are enormous. It will also clear the way for her to do a double major and still graduate from the University in 4 years, should she choose to do so.

OTOH, I have definitely noticed that the professors at the University turn up their noses at the mention of cc or an AA. And I have noticed that the professors at the cc are quite reluctant to embrace the addition of high school students in some of their classrooms (although the cc admin seems overjoyed to cash the checks the state sends to cover their tuition). So within the world of academia, it may be rather looked down upon.

I would definitely take a close look at the general requirements at your student's 4 year school and see how many you can take care of at the cc. However, I would save as many of the classes as possible in the intended major for study at the 4 year. I would also be very careful to get in writing information from the 4 yr regarding which classes/credits they will accept.

In my dd's case, she will be one class short of an AA degree. However, she will be able to transfer credits from one of her 4 yr classes back to the cc to finish off the AA after her first semester at the 4 yr.

I guess the bottom line is that if you are casual about it, you can end up with a situation where few, if any of your cc credits will transfer, where your student ends up taking many of the same classes within his major department at the 4 yr, and where you have a hodgepodge of credits that don't add up to an AA nor all the general requirements at the 4 yr. If you are intentional about it, you can cut two years off of the time needed to get a 4 yr degree and also have that AA in your back pocket in case something goes amiss at the 4 yr.

Edited by hillfarm
  • Like 2

What field could he get his AA in for option 1? And are choices for that things he wants to focus on?

It is just called a "transfer program" which means all General Ed requirements.

Full agreement with the public Universities in the state for transfer.

• Like 3

Yes, I am in NC.  Really?  they can enter as a freshman (or same as a freshman?)  Do you mean for scholarship purposes or literally starting as a freshman?

For scholarship purposes.  And dorm housing, too, I assume.

Even though per the articulation agreement academically he'll have enough credits to be a junior.

For scholarship purposes.  And dorm housing, too, I assume.

Even though per the articulation agreement academically he'll have enough credits to be a junior.

Do you have more info at all?  A link to more info?

This is not what our local HS groups have been saying, so I am very curious as to finding more info.

I'll see if I can find something after while, when the caffeine hits. ;)  What I'm positing is what we were told by the high school principal and guidance counselor before we applied for the program, and it's information that has been reiterated this year to the juniors who are exploring college options -- they've all been told when filling out visit forms and such to put down that they will be entering as freshmen, not transfer students.

Keep in mind that DS is in a four year program.  He won't go an extra year beyond high school.  All his college credits will have been earned while he's officially in high school.  That's probably the difference between the two programs.

• Like 1

I'll see if I can find something after while, when the caffeine hits. ;)  What I'm positing is what we were told by the high school principal and guidance counselor before we applied for the program, and it's information that has been reiterated this year to the juniors who are exploring college options -- they've all been told when filling out visit forms and such to put down that they will be entering as freshmen, not transfer students.

Keep in mind that DS is in a four year program.  He won't go an extra year beyond high school.  All his college credits will have been earned while he's officially in high school.  That's probably the difference between the two programs.

Ok, please let me know what you find.  What I have heard is directly about dual enrollment, which would mean they ARE officially still high school students.  I am not sure how the other program works but that is a good question for them as well.

• Like 1

I'm not finding any direct information but lots of things on individual college websites that relate to the the transfer issue.

From NCSU:

Please note: Students taking college-level courses while in high school (dual enrollment), including early college high schools, are freshman applicants for admission purposes.

From App:

Freshman students have graduated from high school/early college/middle college less than one year prior to beginning a program at Appalachian State University.  Students that are currently enrolled in a high school/early college/middle college program should apply as a freshman. 

***All early college students are considered freshmen and should apply as such.

Transfer students have graduated from high school at least one year prior to beginning a program at Appalachian State University and meet the following criteria:

• Completed 30 or more semester hours of transferable coursework at another accredited college/university.
  • Must have at least a cumulative 2.25 GPA on their college work (as computed by Appalachian).

Transfer students with a less than 30 semester hours of transferable credit will be evaluated on their high school profile and their SAT or ACT scores. Please note that transfers are reviewed on a rolling basis and are encouraged to apply six months prior to their intended date of entry./quote]

From Western Carolina:

As an early college high school student, you’ll receive the best of both worlds. Early college high school students are first-year college students who, once enrolled, are eligible to participate in first-year programs such as Western Peaks or Freshman Leadership Institute and still gain the benefits of campus living. While the timing of your high school graduation determines your student type (first-year student), the total amount of your college credit will determine your class standing (freshman: 0-29 hours; sophomore: 30-59 hours; junior: 60-89 hours; senior: 90 or more hours), which may positively affect things like priority registration, parking privileges and degree program completion. Successful completion of the 44-hour general education core or the associate of arts, associate of science or associate of fine arts degree through a North Carolina community college will fulfill all liberal studies requirements for a degree at WCU.

See the Cabarrus Early College FAQ regarding Advanced Freshmen status.

In my rather quick search I couldn't find any info on UNC-CH's website regarding entering from an early college high school, but I found a page on one early high school program's website (which I now can't find again!) that referenced some of their graduates who had received the Morehead-Cain and Carolina Covenant scholarships.  Those are for incoming freshmen.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

Another couple of things I found out:

The early college program is free financially but seems to have a bit more "cost" in other ways.  It requires a very large senior project.  I honestly don't see that he needs this.  He has just completed his Eagle Scout project and is just about to get Eagle Scout.  I would call that enough.   It also will require 4-5 high school courses, vs. just taking all college classes.   

If he is on the early college track, he will have to be on both academic calendars.....the local PS calendar for his HS class and the CC calendar for his college classes.  Meaning, he won't get a Spring Break at all and he will start earlier and end later.

As of last night we are leaning towards just doing dual enrollment and doing our own thing, even though the financial cost may be $2000 over the course of 2 years for fees and books.  

But we are still gathering info and going through the application process for both.

Edited by DawnM

I'm not finding any direct information but lots of things on individual college websites that relate to the the transfer issue.

From NCSU:

From App:

Thanks.  still not sure I get it.

I will look at the UNCC website as well as he is probably going there for his undergrad.  Not 100% sure of course, but he is leaning towards it.

ETA: https://admissions.uncc.edu/admissions/dual-enrollment

THIS INFORMATION APPLIES TO HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS WHO ALSO TOOK COLLEGE COURSES WHILE ENROLLED IN HIGH SCHOOL.

Students wishing to receive credit for your dual enrollment classes will apply online through the Future 49er Web portal as an incoming Freshman.

Admission decisions will be based on the Freshman Admission Requirements, which includes high school performance and SAT or ACT test scores.

In order to complete your application, students will need to submit your official high school transcript and official SAT or ACT scores. When you have completed the dual enrollment courses, please send an official transcript from the college or university where you completed those courses. Our transfer credit evaluators will evaluate the college transcript and award transfer credits.

If you would like to see how your dual enrollment credits will transfer to UNC Charlotte, view the Transfer Credit Advisor.

Edited by DawnM

Previous posters have given you GREAT info to consider. I just wanted to throw in one tiny side thought:

… He is going into a field that is not that competitive (Journalism/Communications) so we aren't too worried about having an "edge" ...

Assuming DS first attends one of the CCs and then transfers, when he enters a 4-year university, I strongly recommend that he consider double majoring, or at least going for an extensive minor in some area that will open up more job opportunities for him.

Straight up Journalism/Communications is virtually impossible to find a job in, but if he has a second major or a big minor in a Science, Medical, Engineering, or possible Computer or Technical, field he will greatly expand his job options. All of those areas need good writers/communicators to "translate" information to the public or be able to do technical writing, and having a solid background in the STEM field as part of your degree gives a journalist/communicator a big foot in the door for jobs. :)

• Like 1

Previous posters have given you GREAT info to consider. I just wanted to throw in one tiny side thought:

Assuming DS first attends one of the CCs and then transfers, when he enters a 4-year university, I strongly recommend that he consider double majoring, or at least going for an extensive minor in some area that will open up more job opportunities for him.

Straight up Journalism/Communications is virtually impossible to find a job in, but if he has a second major or a big minor in a Science, Medical, Engineering, or possible Computer or Technical, field he will greatly expand his job options. All of those areas need good writers/communicators to "translate" information to the public or be able to do technical writing, and having a solid background in the STEM field as part of your degree gives a journalist/communicator a big foot in the door for jobs. :)

He knows that a degree in Journalism won't get him a job out the door.  He does plan to go on the Grad school if he does major in Journalism.  

He is not a STEM guy so I am not sure that will really get him very far if there is no interest, but something to consider.

And again, his major could change in 3 more years......but for today, he is interested in Journalism and Editing.

• Like 1

My oldest did an early college program at a small private school. She did not do it past senior year though. It was great, small classes, everything transferred.

I would be wary about doing a 13th year and getting the AA, as scholarships for transfer students are much less generous generally than those for new freshmen. However, if that is not an issue for your situation, I see no downside.

He knows that a degree in Journalism won't get him a job out the door.  He does plan to go on the Grad school if he does major in Journalism.  

He is not a STEM guy so I am not sure that will really get him very far if there is no interest, but something to consider.

And again, his major could change in 3 more years......but for today, he is interested in Journalism and Editing.

Hmmm… well, the graduate degree will likely have to be something non-Journalism related, unless he's planning to teach Journalism at a college… Just an FYI, though: MANY colleges are switching from tenured professorships to paying very low salaries to Adjuncts (with Master's degrees or even PhDs) to save money. :(

A graduate degree that is in a complimentary field or "extension" field is what is most likely to help him land a job by helping him diversify his skills.

See the US Bureau of Labor's Occupational Outlook Handbook for an idea of median salaries and what the outlook is (growing field, flatline, or declining # of jobs):

Reports/Correspondants/News Analysts

Editors

Writers and Authors

Technical Writers

I know you said he's not a STEM student, but even a minor in a STEM field -- esp. medical-related -- would be a huge boon for him in finding work. I know a technical writer who works on the fire dept. locally, but has a side job of making really good money because of his medical knowledge from the emergency services work. SO many STEM areas need good writers who have a measure of knowledge about STEM subjects. :)

Or, business would be another good double major or "big" minor.

Another idea might be to expand his skill set with graphic design, layout, and image manipulation / post-production via software knowledge of things like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. Some companies do all-inhouse work of Writing AND design/layout/printing, so being able to offer all of those skills makes a person very competitive...

Not at all trying to push DS one way or another -- just brainstorming! :) Wishing DS the very best, whatever he decides. Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 1

Hmmm… well, the graduate degree will likely have to be something non-Journalism related, unless he's planning to teach Journalism at a college… Just an FYI, though: MANY colleges are switching from tenured professorships to paying very low salaries to Adjuncts (with Master's degrees or even PhDs) to save money. :(

A graduate degree that is in a complimentary field or "extension" field is what is most likely to help him land a job by helping him diversify his skills.

See the US Bureau of Labor's Occupational Outlook Handbook for an idea of median salaries and what the outlook is (growing field, flatline, or declining # of jobs):

Reports/Correspondants/News Analysts

Editors

Writers and Authors

Technical Writers

I know you said he's not a STEM student, but even a minor in a STEM field -- esp. medical-related -- would be a huge boon for him in finding work. I know a technical writer who works on the fire dept. locally, but has a side job of making really good money because of his medical knowledge from the emergency services work. SO many STEM areas need good writers who have a measure of knowledge about STEM subjects. :)

Or, business would be another good double major or "big" minor.

Another idea might be to expand his skill set with graphic design, layout, and image manipulation / post-production via software knowledge of things like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. Some companies do all-inhouse work of Writing AND design/layout/printing, so being able to offer all of those skills makes a person very competitive...

Not at all trying to push DS one way or another -- just brainstorming! :) Wishing DS the very best, whatever he decides. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thanks, we will take a look.  

Right now Journalism is what he is looking at, but ask me in a few months, it might change.  Right now we are just trying to figure out the next 3 years so he can get a broad overview of several different fields.

I probably shouldn't have even mentioned Journalism because it certainly isn't set in stone.  

Dawn

• Like 2

My answers in red.

We did dual enrollment for dd's jr and sr year of high school. There was a nice page available on both the state university she plans to attend and the cc's website that gave specific names and number of credits transferrable for many basic classes. Dd will be able to enter her 4 yr college with all but 3 of her general requirement classes already out of the way. I think she has about 60 credits to transfer. She may be one class short of an AA degree, but that could be remedied fairly easily.

As I see it, an AA is a good thing to have to fall back on, just in case the student discovers that a bachelor's is not for them after their first semester. Also, since dd was able to do the dual enrollment program for free in our state, the savings are enormous. It will also clear the way for her to do a double major and still graduate from the University in 4 years, should she choose to do so.

OTOH, I have definitely noticed that the professors at the University turn up their noses at the mention of cc or an AA. And I have noticed that the professors at the cc are quite reluctant to embrace the addition of high school students in some of their classrooms (although the cc admin seems overjoyed to cash the checks the state sends to cover their tuition). So within the world of academia, it may be rather looked down upon.

You know, that is interesting that you say that.  The school district we are moving to (as of this summer) offers a 5 year high school early college program on the campus of our local 4 year state school.  I am actually encouraging our youngest (currently 6th grade) to think about that for the future.  He is the one who may opt for a traditional 4 year high school and then 4 years of college though, so we are just brainstorming with him right now.  But the classes would be at the 4 year school instead of at a community college.

As for my other kids.....oldest is only doing a trade/tech program at the community college.  With LDs and some other issues, that is more than we expected of him honestly.

And I don't really care what the professors think overall, as long as it transfers and he can get in to the 4 year school.

I would definitely take a close look at the general requirements at your student's 4 year school and see how many you can take care of at the cc. However, I would save as many of the classes as possible in the intended major for study at the 4 year. I would also be very careful to get in writing information from the 4 yr regarding which classes/credits they will accept.

We are not sure exactly where he is going.  Right now we are just looking at our state school (local) and I have printed out the general ed classes for both and pre-requisite classes for his intended major and we will line those up as much as we can.  Since our local CC has an agreement with the local 4 year, there shouldn't be an issue, however, he may opt to go somewhere else, and in that case, we really can't predict where that will be or if they will take the classes or not.  That will just have to be dealt with when the time comes and if he has to repeat or fulfill more requirements, so be it.  I think he really would love to attend a small Christian 4 year college away from home.   Predicting what will happen in 3.5 years from now is just not in the cards.  

In my dd's case, she will be one class short of an AA degree. However, she will be able to transfer credits from one of her 4 yr classes back to the cc to finish off the AA after her first semester at the 4 yr.

I guess the bottom line is that if you are casual about it, you can end up with a situation where few, if any of your cc credits will transfer, where your student ends up taking many of the same classes within his major department at the 4 yr, and where you have a hodgepodge of credits that don't add up to an AA nor all the general requirements at the 4 yr. If you are intentional about it, you can cut two years off of the time needed to get a 4 yr degree and also have that AA in your back pocket in case something goes amiss at the 4 yr.

The way I look at it is this:  If some of the classes transfer, great.  In the meantime, my son is getting exposure to how college works, college level classes, and can at least get classes to count towards graduation.  

​It may be that once he has some idea of where he wants to go to college (right now he has really only looked at the local 4 year school and one Christian school where friends have a son), we can make better decisions.  But cost WILL be a factor.  I really don't want him in debt.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2

The one early college program I know of is at Mary Baldwin (I'll link it below)--MB is a women's college so I know that isn't very helpful to you.  However, I thought if you liked their description of the program perhaps calling their office and asking if they know of similar programs in an all male or coeducational environment might be helpful.

http://www.mbc.edu/early_college/   (Do note that there are two branches of the program-one for highly gifted younger students and one for students who are 16/17)

My dh works in the broadcast media field. I asked him what he would suggest a student pair with journalism to enhance employability. In his opinion, biology or health/healthcare, environmental science or a particular language from a culture the student enjoys would all be good options. Although he is looking at it from a broadcast journalism view point.

The one early college program I know of is at Mary Baldwin (I'll link it below)--MB is a women's college so I know that isn't very helpful to you.  However, I thought if you liked their description of the program perhaps calling their office and asking if they know of similar programs in an all male or coeducational environment might be helpful.

http://www.mbc.edu/early_college/   (Do note that there are two branches of the program-one for highly gifted younger students and one for students who are 16/17)

I am not following at all. I am only asking about the early college program at a public local community college, I am not looking for another program.  I am simply asking about the two choices I listed and which of those two you would choose and why.

Dawn

My dh works in the broadcast media field. I asked him what he would suggest a student pair with journalism to enhance employability. In his opinion, biology or health/healthcare, environmental science or a particular language from a culture the student enjoys would all be good options. Although he is looking at it from a broadcast journalism view point.

I don't really even know if he is going into journalism but I am curious how a health care minor would help with broadcasting for say a TV station.  

As I said, I prob. shouldn't have even mentioned it.  That is his field for this week/month/year, he has 3 years before he goes to a 4 year school.  Anything could happen.

With the aging of the population, medical issues have started to command more and more attention. New rules, new research and new treatments come up every day. A journalist who had a firm grasp of this subject and some serious credentials in this area would be able to present their work with much more credibility, which is a real buzz word in media these days. It would make them more attractive to media outlets, with a backup, and often more lucrative, option of becoming a spokesperson for a particular corporation within the healthcare industry.

Have you checked to see if his high school courses will apply toward the high school diploma you mention in Option 1?  Given that he was homeschooled in 9th and went to a charter for 10th, this could pose some complications.

I would focus on the curriculum he would be exposed to in both situations.  Does the early college option give exposure to the type of courses that you think are the best education?

Have you checked to see if his high school courses will apply toward the high school diploma you mention in Option 1?  Given that he was homeschooled in 9th and went to a charter for 10th, this could pose some complications.

I would focus on the curriculum he would be exposed to in both situations.  Does the early college option give exposure to the type of courses that you think are the best education?

They will.  The program is through the PS system and the school he is in now is part of the PS system for the state.  They follow the same program of study.  Several have actually gone from the charter last year without issue.

Both programs would have the SAME classes essentially, although the early college program requires a few more high school classes.

I am not following at all. I am only asking about the early college program at a public local community college, I am not looking for another program.  I am simply asking about the two choices I listed and which of those two you would choose and why.

Dawn

Apologies, I misunderstood and thought you were looking for early college options.

UPDATE:

We are strongly leaning towards doing dual enrollment over the early college program.   The flexibility alone seems worth the cost we will have to pay.  

We sat down and had a long discussion with DH, me, and my DS.  I was the only one still thinking the early college might be a good idea.  DH and DS agreed that they preferred the dual enrollment.

So......I think I will drop the paperwork necessary to get in to the early college program as it was a lot of stuff to deal with.  Dual enrollment is far easier and less hassle.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 9