Menu

New York Hotel-style window shades

Squawky Acres

My husband is in search of high-quality, simple shades like they have in New York hotels and corporate apartment buildings (but apparently not so much in other cities).  I think I know what he means -- they roll up and are sort of a woven, vinyl/plastic-like material, very heavy-duty and durable, with little chains on the side.  Does anyone know where to purchase this type of shade?

Thanks.  He means a very high-quality roll shade of a woven material that is almost hard (seems to be made of something synthetic).  They have it at certain NY hotels and the newer luxury apartment buildings.  He suggested that I call some of these places, but I really want to avoid that type of pointless phone call -- as if anyone in customer service has anything to do with the brand of shades they order.

Just look for the term "room darkening."  There are cheap kinds and expensive kinds.  If he wants the sort with a chain or a remote to control them rather than a spring roller, they will probably be expensive.  You can get room darkening spring controlled roller shades made of thick plastic at almost any discount or hardware store for less than $10.

Have you had personal experience with the Shade Store?  It does look like the shades are a little bit more expensive and hopefully higher quality than Home Depot or Blinds.com.  I like that we can order swatches.  That way, I can confirm that the material is what DH had in mind.

Yes, I've liked them.  :)

We've also used Blinds Direct and another one listed above - blinds.com or something like that.

Thanks. He means a very high-quality roll shade of a woven material that is almost hard (seems to be made of something synthetic). They have it at certain NY hotels and the newer luxury apartment buildings. He suggested that I call some of these places, but I really want to avoid that type of pointless phone call -- as if anyone in customer service has anything to do with the brand of shades they order.

Roller shades... Try Smith and Noble maybe?