Menu

need help with figuring out size of jeans for boy

SparklyUnicorn

FWIW, I find that the Wrangler brand is the best for heavy duty, hard wearing jeans (if your boys are hard on them, like mine) and can be got on Walmart's website for under $20.  They are also available in a range of sizes (my son wears a 32x38 and has no problem getting them there).

Try them on, they're supposed to be inches but vanity sizing is such an issue that often the size charts lie. I've measured jeans that are supposedly a 28 waist and they sag because they're really a 32.

Once you find a brand/sizing that you like you're usually relatively safe.

Edited by kiana
  • Like 2

FWIW, my son wore a 30x32 as a thin 5'10" kid. He's still wearing them at 6'0 and they are high waters. He needs 30x34, but I haven't managed to drag him to a store. Just for comparison/general idea. 

Oh wow.  My kid is very short so I guess that is not going to work.

See I was hoping to be able to get something small in the young men's so I don't have to deal with pants that basically don't fit because most places don't sell boy's pants that take length into consideration.

I hate hemming!! 

• Like 1

How tall is he? My 5'7" maybe 105 kid is wearing 28x32. I think you can find 28x30. They're big but working ok. His boy sized pants fit better in the waist but are getting too short in the length. This boy/man size cusp phase is for the birds. It's so hard to find decent clothes.

• Like 1

I never knew this and just noticed Levi's boy sizing goes up to 20! They're cheaper too. Temped to try a 20 on boy. He still fits into 14/16 but becoming floods.

The floods drive me crazy.  I am not picky about clothing in general, but the other day he was about to leave the house in floods (major floods) and I was like NOOOO!!!  He didn't get it. 

I was hoping to avoid bringing him shopping. He is so picky and annoying to bring shopping!!

• Like 1

I hear you. I hate bringing my son shopping too. Lol! He could care less about floods either. I have to quietly confiscate!

Oh it's comical at the moment.  His brother is nearing him in height, but is a twig.  My son is now slightly taller than me.  It's hard for me to tell the difference between their jeans.  If my husband does the laundry he hangs their pants in my closet thinking they are mine, or puts mine in their drawer. And they can't tell the difference either.  LOL

• Like 1

Try them on, they're supposed to be inches but vanity sizing is such an issue that often the size charts lie. I've measured jeans that are supposedly a 28 waist and they sag because they're really a 32.

Once you find a brand/sizing that you like you're usually relatively safe.

I have not found this to be true for boys sizes (or small mens sizes, like for boys).  

We find TONS of Levis & other known-brand jeans sized this way at Goodwill & the sizes are always accurate.  

YMMV, as usual.

Oh darn.  I was hoping to order them on-line.  It probably is better that I have him try them on though.

IIWY I'd find a place to buy online with free shipping & returns & try a bunch to find the right size.  But I remember you don't like online clothes shopping, right?  Or is that just shoes?

Anyway, I sympathize with your shopping plight in this size range.  The size transition from boy-man is really confusing at times.

• Like 1

My 5'3" DS11 wears size 18 for Levis jeans or Dockers pants. He also wear 27x27 Levis jeans. We are near the outlets though so could get them for under $10 each.

I prefer boys jeans, the front pockets are deeper than for ladies jeans. I could get ladies jeans at Marshalls and Nordstrom Rack easier than Wal-Mart.

• Like 1

I used to be able to find a good range of pants sizes at Old Navy.  (My ds is slim too.)

You can try ordering them online.  Does your son already have a pair of pants that fit him really well?  Measure the waist on those, and the pants leg (from the crotch down), and base your order size off of those measurements.

• Like 2

I have not found this to be true for boys sizes (or small mens sizes, like for boys).  

We find TONS of Levis & other known-brand jeans sized this way at Goodwill & the sizes are always accurate.  

YMMV, as usual.

I'll buy that :D I've been so frustrated lately with looking for myself that sometimes I forget that people are less likely to vanity-size their kids.

I'd still order 1-2 and see how they fit before ordering a whole bunch. 

I am so jealous they have such inexpensive pants for men.  The women's jeans at Walmart are not generally that inexpensive!

Nor are they consistent in sizing! I got several pairs of Lee jeans there, same style/size on the label. But they each fit so differently. And their Tall sizes suddenly went from about a 31" inseam to about 33"! For the first time ever my jeans were too long--a problem I never thought I'd have ever.

• Like 1

Nor are they consistent in sizing! I got several pairs of Lee jeans there, same style/size on the label. But they each fit so differently. And their Tall sizes suddenly went from about a 31" inseam to about 33"! For the first time ever my jeans were too long--a problem I never thought I'd have ever.

Yes!  Exactly.  The sizing is ridiculous. 

IIWY I'd find a place to buy online with free shipping & returns & try a bunch to find the right size.  But I remember you don't like online clothes shopping, right?  Or is that just shoes?

Anyway, I sympathize with your shopping plight in this size range.  The size transition from boy-man is really confusing at times.

Shoes forget it.  I avoid buying shoes on-line like the plague.

I am willing to order from Walmart on-line because I can return them to the store.  So that'll work. 

I would like to attempt to buy something that will likely fit, but uh yeah maybe that is not going to happen. 

YMMV, as usual.

See I don't know.  I have tried to buy the same brands and have had issues.  Part of it is even with something like Levi there are different versions and they do not all fit the same. 

Maddening. 

I have been tempted to drop him off at a store and just tell him to figure it out.  Thing is, I bet he won't. 

See I don't know. I have tried to buy the same brands and have had issues. Part of it is even with something like Levi there are different versions and they do not all fit the same.

Maddening.

I have been tempted to drop him off at a store and just tell him to figure it out. Thing is, I bet he won't.

Well, yes, there are different cuts and that matters, too. I have a skinny, a husky, and a couple averages and they can't all wear the same cut because of their body shapes.

• Like 1

I never knew this and just noticed Levi's boy sizing goes up to 20! They're cheaper too. Temped to try a 20 on boy. He still fits into 14/16 but becoming floods.

These work pretty well for my 6 ft tall 14 yo and are definitely cheaper. I will probably give in and get the men's sizes next time but the size 20 is surprisingly not that short on him. I believe the size 20 is the same as 30x30 but can't remember for sure.

It isn't easy buying for a shorter husky boy either.  One ds is shorter but rather chunky (all the guys in my family went though the chunky stage before getting the growth spurt).  The jean people seem to think if your waist is a little big then your legs should be long.  I generally end up having to hem them.  I hate sewing :ack2:  :banghead: