Menu

s/o Barbie...based on a high-end German call girl cartoon/doll?

umsami

I'm over 50 - so yes, I've heard about it.  especially her make-up from when she was first introduced in '59 was *very* heavy and not even something you'd see in hollywood movies of the time.  not sure how it compared to models of the day.

dh is very proud that he knew her last name . . . Roberts.  http://inventors.about.com/od/bstartinventions/a/The-History-Of-Barbie-Dolls.htm 

• Like 1

I didn't know of it until recently. It makes me shocked that the first generation of kids--whose parents presumably knew she was a prostitute doll--was allowed to play with her. I guarantee my parents, and most other Bible Belt parents, would never have allowed me to play with her if they thought of her in those terms. She's such a cultural icon now that no one will stop allowing their kids to play with her based on that, but I'm surprised she ever became popular.

• Like 1

I really thought everybody knew about it.

It makes me shocked that the first generation of kids--whose parents presumably knew she was a prostitute doll--was allowed to play with her.

Well, why not? It's not like they're reading the comics, or like the doll itself is sexually explicit - though of course, generations of children have gone on to put Barbie and Ken (or Barbie and Barbie, or occasionally Ken and Ken) in all sorts of poses!

• Like 2

My grandmother did not allow my mother to have one of those dolls. I never knew why, but maybe this is why. 

when asked about "proper toys" for children, even miss manners alluded to her by referring to her as any "hussie that caller itself a doll."

• Like 2

This is cool and funny.  I grew up in the very legalistic church, small town within the bible belt. (born in 1970)   They even thought aerobic workouts were sinning.  My very couldn't' wait to leave rebel of all their up tightness just loves this.  They would of been all about boycotting mattell.  They boycotted Tide detergent  because they thought its company symbol was satanic.  They didn't go to movies or listen to secular music but all the girls got to play with hussy Barbie.  I just love the irony. 

I happen to be a bit of tomboy.  I only had one barbie doll and gave her  Mowhauk and then a buzz cut.  SHe was Rambo Barbie LOL

My sister was the girlie one and had a few Barbie and the marie obsmond dolls.

• Like 2

This is cool and funny. I grew up in the very legalistic church, small town within the bible belt. (born in 1970) They even thought aerobic workouts were sinning. My very couldn't' wait to leave rebel of all their up tightness just loves this. They would of been all about boycotting mattell. They boycotted Tide detergent because they thought its company symbol was satanic. They didn't go to movies or listen to secular music but all the girls got to play with hussy Barbie. I just love the irony.

I happen to be a bit of tomboy. I only had one barbie doll and gave her Mowhauk and then a buzz cut. SHe was Rambo Barbie LOL

My sister was the girlie one and had a few Barbie and the marie obsmond dolls.

I love the irony, too.

Your Rambo Barbie would've been good friends with my green haired Mohawk Barbie. :)

• Like 1