Menu

How much is normal (to pay) for a small-group Algebra 1 class?

Teacher background: Teacher formerly taught at a private school. Specialized in teaching children with learning differences (ADHD, dyslexia). Now homeschools his own children and tutors one-on-one. I approached him about a small-group setting at my home (large designated teaching space available, so no distractions) with 5-6 students, total. Some of the students have learning differences, but not all. All have successfully passed a pre-algebra class, but that's kind of "off," because we know how much homeschool curricula can vary, lol.

He is working out some numbers, because it will obviously differ from his normal hourly one-on-one tutoring rate, but I'm curious what the numbers usually look like, lol.

He would be teaching twice weekly, for two hours per class. 

UPDATE

My numbers, unfortunately, were not far off. He is insisting that he needs to make his normal $40/hr tutoring rate, PLUS an additional $70/weekly traveling expense, to run the small class. We have three students. Total, me and another mom are expected to split a cost of almost $950 - MONTHLY. 

That is about TWICE what our local catholic private schools charge for full time tuition. 

We had our first class yesterday, and I found out about the "traveling expense" today. 

I don't think we'll continue with this for long. We need to outsource math for these kids (they just do not learn math well from mom), but this is walking the line of ridiculous, in terms of fees... actually, I think it's crossed the line of ridiculous and has jumped into the deep end. I'm only responsible for a third of that cost, monthly, because I only have one student in the class, but still - it's still much, much higher than anyone else here has quoted as being reasonable, at my personal monthly outgoing of over $300 for the classes. 

I do NOT think my husband is going to be okay with this - solely because it's much higher than typical and almost feels like he's taking advantage of the situation. He's on board with the guy, but I think the "traveling expense" will put the kabosh in it for DH.

Edited by AimeeM
  • Like 1

Our old co-op ran approximately $25/mo for a once a week 2 hour class. I believe parents graded homework but the teacher graded tests.

How big were the classes? I kind of assume this one will be a bit more since we're intentionally keeping it at no more than about 6 kids.

Our co-op offers Alg. in a small group setting, 2 times a week.  The cost is $75 per month.

How long are the classes (one hour, two hours)? What's the teacher background?

(Sorry for the questions - I just don't want to go into this blind)

How long are the classes (one hour, two hours)? What's the teacher background?

(Sorry for the questions - I just don't want to go into this blind)

Classes are 1.5 hours long.  Teacher willing tutors during lunch or after the last class of the day if student is struggling for no additional cost.  Class sizes vary from 5-10 students. Teacher was previously a public high school math teacher.  Has been teaching homeschoolers for 8 years.  

Locally, a math tutor runs $30-50 an hour for high school.

• Like 1

We're looking at a co-op/tutorial that might offer Alg. 2.  Small class size (mostly due to interest) 1X per week for 1 or maybe 1.5 hours (they don't have it all set yet) it will be $110 per semester. Semester is 15 weeks, I think. Materials are separate and to be purchased by student (I'm assuming). I hope through all this vagueness and maybe's there's some helpful info.  

The $110 is about 1/3 of what is charged for a 1 hour 1 to 1 tutoring class.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

My dd was going to join a Latin class this year with a teacher who normally charges $50/hour for tutoring. The class was $400, meeting twice a week for 1.5 hours. There were 3-4 students in the class. So, the class fee was nowhere near what the tutoring rate was. I would have probably been willing to pay up to $600 since that seems to be the going rate for a lot of online classes.

Locally, algebra classes are often over $500 per year for experienced teacher teaching twice per week at 1.5 hours each time.

I think we'd all be very happy with that price :D

I was anticipating more along the lines of $800+ and was worried that I would be able to get a few more students.

$800 per student?  Ouch.  I would not pay that much.

My thought it is it's an unaccredited course which leads to pretty much nothing official. 

Well, he didn't give me that number, so it's entirely possible that it's a number I made up in my head, lol. 

$800/year would be less than the cost of splitting his one-on-one fee between each student, so...

Well, yeah. I have no clue what they go for - we've never completely outsourced a class like this in such a small-group setting.

In my area of the country (rural Tennessee), Tutorials are $297/Student per course. So about $9 per class. Classes are 1 1/2 hours once a week (some lab classes are 2 hours/weekly, and have additional lab fees). Classes vary in size are 5-15 students.

At my house I can only accommodate 8 students, at the Tutorial were I am teaching currently I have a class of 15.

In my Spanish classes I correct homework, quizzes, and tests.

In my Chemistry class I correct quizzes, lab reports, and test and parents correct homework.

In Nashville, Same tutorial settings are more expensive ($400-$600 a course).

• 4 weeks later...

That sounds insane. And that's his price for 4 hours of group tutoring per week? I agree, I think he's taking advantage of you. Yikes.

It is expensive, no question - OTOH, it comes to $19 per student per hour (travel cost included). That's less than many people pay their piano teachers etc.

For a teacher with special qualifications who is trying to run a tutoring business, $40 per hour before taxes does not sound outrageous.

ETA: the travel cost may not just be gas and wear on the vehicle, but also the teacher's time on the road, during which he cannot earn an income. My HVAC person charges just for coming out.

Edited by regentrude

$40/hr for three students is still tolerable. The travelling expense hr is charging is very high since it is only two trips a week.

Gas price is at $2.45 per gallon nearest to my home. Assuming 19mpg for a truck, $70 would pay for 540miles of driving approximately.

I would pay a college student the $40/hr and throw in a home cook meal per trip instead.

ETA:

Here tutors usually prefer 5-10 miles radius from their home with a max of 20 miles away.

Edited by Arcadia

The travelling expense hr is charging is very high since it is only two trips a week.

Gas price is at $2.45 per gallon nearest to my home. Assuming 19mpg for a truck, $70 would pay for 540miles of driving approximately.

...but not for the person's time on the road.

The OP did not say how long the teacher would have to travel. He may be losing a significant amount of time during which he cannot teach paying clients.

...but not for the person's time on the road.

The OP did not say how long the teacher would have to travel. He may be losing a significant amount of time during which he cannot teach paying clients.

I agree. It just seems backhanded as the OP was told the day after the first lesson.

Most people here won't tutor further than a 20 miles radius due to travelling time.

My husband teaches and tutors math and the physical sciences.  We live in a fairly low income area, so his fee is low.

He currently teaches four math classes.  Most meet twice a week for 90 minutes per session.  His current tutoring fee is $18.00 per hour which is divided amongst the students.  The classes range from two to eight students, so the fee per class is quite variable.

Regards,

Kareni